Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE)

Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) (http://projectavalon.net/forum/index.php)
-   Preparations / Advice (http://projectavalon.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Lots of good stuff for adults and children - what about people with babies & infants? (http://projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3904)

Olde 10-01-2008 09:44 PM

Lots of good stuff for adults and children - what about people with babies & infants?

There is so much good advice and guidance here but I have a 1 year old and my biggest concern is milk for my baby. If the network goes down then I really worry for my little one. I know where there are a couple of dairy farms near (bicycle ride) to my location. Can anyone suggest any other options for what is essential for a baby/infant.

Suriel 10-01-2008 09:48 PM

Re: Lots of good stuff for adults and children - what about people with babies & infa

Buy powdered milk by Carnations. And have bottled water. Store both of these.

Peace.

Shellie 10-01-2008 09:55 PM

Re: Lots of good stuff for adults and children - what about people with babies & infa

Get some good DSQ cloth diapers, and learn to use them! Learn how to wash them by hand. Use less soap than you think because the residue will make the diapers stink. Use vinegar in the final rinse to break down both detergent and urine, soften the material, and stabilize the pH. Hanging them up in the sun is a good disinfectant, and it does a fair job of bleaching them as well.

Most powdered milk is non-fat, but you can get full-fat powdered milk by Nestle called NIDO (not made in China!) Also, I just remembered we used to buy milk in 1-liter bottles that had a REALLY long shelf life (6 months). This should be in the grocery aisle next to the powdered milk. If your baby is one year, s/he can get a lot of nutrients from regular food. Lentils, beans, porridge, rice, pasta are all good. Get a blender if you don't have one.

You can also make a trip to the Goodwill and start stocking up on clothes because that little one is going to go through A LOT (though you probably know this). Learn how to sew too, and keep lots of fabrics of various types around.

This should be obvious, but get any medications you may need. Or, do away with it all; corn starch and naked butts works better than Desetin, and chamomile tea works well on fevers (usually). Boiled almond water stops a cough. You might want to go ahead and keep some baby Tylenol around.

Most importantly, get a support group. Babies are hard to take care of, and can be EXTREMELY stressful at times. Keep in mind that your family, friends and neighbors can help you when you need a break. If anything happens, rely on your support group!

Carol 10-01-2008 09:56 PM

Almond milk is excellent and stores well. You can also buy almonds in bulk and blanch them. Use Google for ideas and tips.

Bobcat 10-01-2008 10:04 PM

It's a concern for me also as I have a two & a half year old and a one & a half child.
Goats milk is excellent and anyone with a small garden or scrub land can keep a goat quite easily "easy to milk".
But if you dont have a garden? The post above will do the job :)

Im a bit more concerned about meds and stuff :/

Shellie 10-01-2008 10:08 PM

Actually goat's milk is MUCH healthier than cow's milk.