Thread: Cults!
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #20
Aztar
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Cults!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpeter View Post
Aztar, I'm not sure how appropriate that Scientology video is to this thread. I'm not aware of Scientology being an "Internet Cult". I was in Scientology for over 15 years and I didn't associate it particularly with this thread until I saw your post.

Yes, it could be called a cult but in my opinion it contains a huge amount of valuable information which was vitally necessary for my spiritual growth. Would I recommend the Church of Scientology to anyone else? Absolutely not, but I would recommend Scientology tech to anyone so long as they got the data from the freezone (outside of the official church).

Scientology is a HUGE subject and it is easy to dismiss it as only a cult. In my opinion it deserves a more measured type of discussion.

That's my two-cents worth.

Peter
I hear you justpeter.

The title of the thread is Cults, i wouldn't get to picky with the Internet cults part.

A cult by any other name is still a cult, the same tactics apply, I'm aware that the early work done by Scientology was extremely beneficial to the early practitioners but that was then and this is now and what it is now is a cult. (freezone excluded)

Something that starts out as helpful and beneficial can also be infiltrated and changed from the inside to another agenda.

I could just as easily have used Landmark or Moonies as an example but i chose that video because it shows Tactics.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found some other information that may be helpful.

WHAT ARE CULTS?

The term "cult" is something that is very difficult to define. There are many different forms of cults, and precise definitions are often difficult. There are many negative stereotypes that also exist. Supporters and members often refer to cults as "new religions" or part of the new religious movement which gives them a little more credibility. Some definitions of cults are.

"a religious movement which makes a fundamental break with the religious traditions of the culture and which is composed of individuals who had or seek mystical experience (Galanter)."

"a group or movement exhibiting a great or excessive devotion or dedication to some person, idea or things, and employing unethical, manipulative or coercive techniques of persuasion and control (e.g. isolation from former friends and family, debilitation, use of special methods to heighten suggestibility and subservience, powerful group pressures, information management, promotion of total dependency on the group and fear of leaving it, suspension of individuality and critical judgment, and so on, designed to advance the goals of the group's leaders, to the possible or actual detriment of members, their families, or the community (West)."

"a highly manipulative group which exploits its members and can cause psychological, financial and physical harm. It dictates in an absolute manner the behaviour, thoughts and emotions of its followers. Manipulation techniques are used to transform the new recruit into a loyal, obedient and subservient member (Info-Cult)."

While a specific definition of a "cult" may be difficult, there are several common factors that seem to be a part of the kinds of cults that raise concern. While every group is different in their specific beliefs and rituals, some more common factors of cults are:

* has a living leader;
* cult doctrine based on leaders' techniques and beliefs;
* members adhere to leaders' beliefs;
* leader may claim special powers or connection to a higher being;
* leader is sole judge of dedication and quality of member's faith
* leader may be very comfortable while members suffer (leader may eat while others starve; leader may have sex while others remain celibate);
* leader may predict the end of the world;
* cult may say that it works to save the world but helps no one outside the cult;
* daily work demeaning;
* cults provide salvation - anyone outside cult is evil;
* members must cut self off from past life;
* ego destruction and thought control;
* questioning religion and criticism frowned upon - sign of bad faith; intolerance of other beliefs;
* individuality frowned upon;
* emphasize moneymaking;
* structure and discipline;
* non traditional religion;
* no grey area - everything and everyone is either right or wrong; pure or evil;
* members give up right to think and decide for themselves;
* use manipulative and unethical means to get members - i.e. do not provide a full explanation of who group is and what they do.

Source: http://www.victimsofviolence.on.ca/r...=337&Itemid=27

Last edited by Aztar; 03-04-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Aztar is offline   Reply With Quote