View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 05:49 PM   #40
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Re: A WARNING; Heads up, 2009 August/September time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammit View Post
ok, let me explain what I plan for my neibours or anyone else I find who , if this happens may need help..

I am setting up a system of water containers 120 gallons each, my garden by then would have produced as last year an abundance of food, packed and stored ready for use, I have almost completed 4 barrell turbines each capable of about 1kW.

This is done at my own expense as I cannot bunker down anywhere and will have to ride it out with my family and my nearest neibours. The power if the grid goes down would not only be for lighting mine and others houses but also to keep freezers working as this is the most convenient way to preserve food and most people nowadays have an abundance of frozen whatever that could keep them going that little bit longer.

My hope is that if things go wrong then, when the neibours are in shock and dont know what to do, I can gather them up, share things out and maybe help them work as a community.

Only a thought, but I think its a nice one.
A tip for freezers is to fill empty milk cartons with water and layer them along the bottom and sides of your freezer. Dry ice is good to have on hand as well. One can also bury an insulated container using the same formula of frozen milk containers with food in the middle. Insulate with stray bales is another way to go.. only line the outside of the bales with a heavy grade plastic to prevent seapage and rotting. Meats really are best if smoked or dried where they can be rehydrated later. However, I've been storing dry salami and cheese which is covered in wax which protects it as well. Basics... oatmeal, rice, seed sprouts, wheat, pasta, spices, sugar, powered milk, dehydrated fruits and vegetables, water. Materials to build hydroponic system.. cheap.. I'll get both the plans and material list to everyone on the forum.

Check out www.friendlyaquaponics.com They are building their website and are at the cutting edge of producing nutricious, fast growing (1/2 the time) food production. Complete system grows fish, prawns, fruit and vetetables.

Last edited by Carol; 11-28-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote