View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Providence
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Pacific Northwest Ground Crew

Hi Carrie1971 - The thing about earthquakes in the PNW is that there will eventually be the BIG one and so few people will be prepared. The 72-hour kit will not be enough, I think preparation for at least two weeks to keep you afloat before any services start to come back. I am having trouble now trying to pull together an "urban survival kit" to handle these types of disasters for my family AND prepare for a much more ominous world catastrophe.... I think I could plan a move from the US to the southern hemisphere, but I would have to do a LOT of convincing to a lot of people... so its just not possible for me right now. But as it is, I am thinking of researching places in southern Oregon, perhaps near Steens Mountain. It is very isolated down there are quite out of the way....

Also, Norval - I was considering a HAM radio but have read that it is expensive and that unless you are prepared to operate one that it may not be worth it? Can you tell us if there is some kind of HAM-related radio that someone might purchase to just "listen in" on the goings on? I am just now beginning to look. What about shortwave radio? I told someone earlier that I am thinking of a shortwave radio as I grew up listening to that with my parents. Is there some kind of radio we should be investing in?

Thanks so much.
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote