View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
eMonkey
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Time to liberate our computers in a massive way

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthetable View Post
i would like to support an alternative to the big two, mac and microsoft, without losing the useability.

I have windows on comp, so can i download and use linux on the same comp?
Useability is subjective - ask yourself what are my requirements?
Web surfing, word processing, etc. All of these, linux can offer with free software.

Yes, co-existence is entirely possible.
1. You can install with Wubi under windows (run windows and insert the linux CD for options) - which can install onto a windows partion or onto your windows drive. It will ask you how much space you want to allocate for Linux.

2. You can boot and install from the CD to a dedicated partion if you have enough disk space. In some instances, it is possible to rearrange the space on the existing partions to make room. The default arrangement is that Linux will wipe the disk and re-allocate all of it for linux as it is assumed linux will be the only OS installed and it will be on a new machine, but instead, you need then to do a custom install for your needs to preserve your windows setup.

Once installed, you will then see a new boot manager (usually called GRUB) at boot time where you can select the O.S. you want to boot from.

Installing through windows offers a safer experience till you get used to it. You can later migrate the Wubi installation to a full partion rather than occupying file space on your windows drive.

I really suggest you go to the site and read the wherefores of installation. It is a learning curve and is in you best interests to learn yourself. I was like you at one point. I had no clue about Linux. I purchased several distro's over the last 15 years Red-Hat and Suse and could not get on with any of them. I ended up literally getting into a rage stamping up and down on the CD's and binning them. Lately, I grabbed the bull by the horns, read the web pages, and started to understand a little more. I am self taught and just and ordinary person.

I think if you are not prepared to think and learn a little on your needs and requirements of what will be demanded from you as a user, perhaps you are better off staying with windows.

Last edited by eMonkey; 02-23-2010 at 02:20 PM.
eMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote