View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
wfranzen
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Comet/ G1.9 giant planetary body coming in to solar system

Northern Sanctuary,

Sorry for the delay. I am very busy, and you did ask me to comment on a two hour video.

First off, my earlier reply to your initial post specifically said the claim by some that G1.9 was a large planetary body was bogus. I was not claiming there was absolutely no danger.

It is just that I am getting real tired of these supposed NIBIRU of the month sightings. People keep claiming (or asking) whether this or that is NIBIRU, or something really BIG and nasty that will hit us soon, or come close enough to cause a pole shift, or what not. Sorry, but in my opinion people making these claims are either clueless or just spreading fear. Don't buy into these scare stories.

I just don't understand this NIBIRU fixation, especially when an impact by an asteroid one mile in diameter or even less would make a total hash of civilization. And there is even some credible evidence that about 12900 years ago an asteriod/cometary impact or a number of them caused a catastrophe. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas_event

or

"The Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes" by Richard Firestone, Allen West and Simon Warwick-Smith:

http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Cosmic-C.../dp/1591430615

While they haven't proved their claim that the ultimate cause was a much earlier supernova, they have done their homework. They make a convincing case there was an impact (or series of impacts) at about that time. However, there is no scientific reason for assuming we are due for a serious impact soon.

Regarding the video you mentioned. The presenter (Sorry, don't recall his name) starts out making some accurate scientific statements. There is some evidence that the Thermohaline circulation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meridio...ng_circulation may be shutting down. I think he overstates things though. He claims it WILL shut down. I don’t think things are at all that certain. And even then he seems to think this is imminent, even though he says the exact time is unknown. Even though there is some cause for concern ,http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen....climatechange , I think we are talking decades before it happens (if it does). However, IF it happens, the consequences would be severe. But this would not cause the DRAMATICALLY rising sea levels are he is talking about later.

There are at least a couple of aspects to what he is talking about. One is that he is getting testimony from (ex) naval officers that they have been warned about significantly higher sea levels occurring within a short span of time (was it 30 to 60 days?). I am not sure of the height of the change, but I seem to recall the change would be at least one hundred feet with possible damage to at least 500 feet. However, this does not jibe with “Wisconsin being gone” (not an exact quote, but my recollection), which would mean an even higher change. Retiring government officials were selecting retirement locations based on this information. The second part is that he had somehow concluded this would be due to a pole shift, even though he had not been told that, and used Velikovsky as an authority.

Now, using Velikovsky as an authority sets off MAJOR alarm bells with me. So much so that I am not sure what if anything I can trust about what he is saying (other than what I can verify independently). He seems to have bought into a major 2012 (or sooner) doomsday, end of the world scenario. It is not/no longer clear to me how much of what he said is based on what he was told, how accurate or CERTAIN what people had been told was, how much of what he was told depended on people’s own research to explain what they had been told, and how much he had concluded based on the research he had done to explain what he had been told.

I’m sorry, I will need to stop here. My wife is forcefully demanding I call it a night.

Last edited by wfranzen; 02-07-2010 at 12:12 PM.
wfranzen is offline   Reply With Quote