View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #12
Church
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Serious question about popping the question (could use women's advice here)

Okay thanks for chiming in everyone.

A few points, and I actually thought about this when typing out my first post... don't know why I didn't mention it... but I realize how ironic it sounds that I'm going on a cruise and in the same breath I don't participate in consumerism. But the truth is, it's the first cruise I've ever been on, and I'm 32 years old. Also, and this is really the important part, because if it weren't for this, I would NOT be going on this cruise: I did not buy the tickets. My and my girlfriend's tickets were paid for by my father. He also does not have lots of money, but he wanted to treat his entire family to a cruise as a retirement gift to himself, as he just retired from 40 years of civil service.

So the truth is, I do not have any money. I lost my job as a network admin last year, and I was denied unemployment (which I didn't appeal, maybe I should have, but it's water under the bridge now), and I am still unemployed. So I am very broke. I freelance and take odd jobs here and there, whenever possible, but this brings me just barely enough money to buy groceries and pay for my auto insurance. My girlfriend is actually letting me stay in her house, otherwise I'd have many more bills. I guess, in the parlance of our times, one could make the argument that she is like a "sugar mama" to me. But we have an understanding, and she knows as soon as I'm back on my feet I will be paying all the bills from that point forward, so I jest when say that.

So, the truth is, I have no money. Now, that doesn't mean I couldn't work out a barter of some kind with someone (who I don't know yet) who might be able to supply me with what I'm looking for. It's actually one of my skills, I don't understand it, but I have a way of being able to bring the barter system out whenever it is needed, and get people on board. I think deep down everyone knows that bartering is the TRUE currency. But nonetheless, I will have to perform some labor or tutor someone or clean out someone's computer or two in order to get the ring. I can see that now.

I like the idea of using an antique shop. I actually live in an area of town where I am surrounded by cute little antique shops and thrift stores. I've always associated them with furniture, but I guess I have no reason to believe I couldn't find jewelry at one of them?

Waitinginthewings, how do I go about cleansing jewelry spiritually? I've heard about the need for this before, when people were talking about crystalline rocks and gems, but I guess it would make sense that regular old metals might benefit from this too. Can someone elaborate? Thank you all for your contributions. This place has been pretty tumultuous lately, so I wasn't sure what to expect by posting this thread. Seriously, thank you everyone.

(Feel free to keep the advices coming!)

Last edited by Church; 03-04-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Church is offline   Reply With Quote