View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
no caste

Default Re: NIGERIA: Wiwa v. Shell - NY Trial Begins, June-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundia View Post
And the only news we got about or from Africa is about pirates, highjacking,etc. never a pint of truth....never about what is really going on there....
Yeah. I guess the other fluffy, sometimes untrue, old paradigm news is more palatable...

This is an excerpt from a recent address by Odimegwu Onwumere, Founder, Poet Against Child Abuse (PACA), in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, on 20th May, 2009, in marking of the year's Children's Day ( May 27 every year). Contact: 08032552855. Email: apoet_25@yahoo.com
http://www.modernghana.com/news/2177...y-is-here.html

BBC's Network Africa was quoted as saying, at least 100 people, many of them children, have been killed in an oil pipeline explosion in the Nigerian city of Lagos, the local Red Cross says. The blast tore through Ijegun suburb, engulfing schools and homes after a bulldozer burst the pipeline. Officials at the scene said many died after being overcome by smoke; others were killed in a stampede to escape. One rescue worker told the BBC a local tracing centre had been formed to find missing relatives. "People are looking for family members. Parents are looking for children," he said, as firefighters fought the blaze with sand and water. Discarded school bags and sandals littered a school whose pupils tried to flee. Witnesses said the ground around the explosion was so hot that shoes melted. One local resident, injured in the fire, described the blast. "I was just doing sewing work when I saw everything just got exploded. I just picked up my baby and started running - it was the heat," she told the programme".