View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #20
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: We need to win back the media

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftmonkey View Post
This talk about YouTube got me thinking about a dream I had just last night. It was about how the Google search engine is now directing and focusing human consciousness on a massive scale.

We all know that Google bought YouTube for an insane amount of money. There is also some evidence that Google was indirectly funded by the CIA. I often hear stories of youtube view stats on controversial videos being messed with from the inside to bring down the rankings.

Without getting too far into the conspiracy scenarios, does anyone know of any worthwhile search engines and/or youtube-like services that would be a better alternative? Like maybe open source versions that are not controlled by a mega corporation? I use the internet archive quite a bit to find public domain footage. I know that you can embed their videos. I wonder if it would be a better way to go. http://www.archive.org
I'm not sure I would buy it that the CIA funded Google. Google was the hottest tech IPO for the last few years and it was very much overvalued. People were buying stock at $200+ per share at the beginning and wanting to buy more even though nobody wanted to sell. I can't see how there would be any room for a new public company to want or care about CIA funding at that point.

I would believe however that the government or CIA does have a backdoor into Google's database. As we progress further and further, that seems like more of an inevitability.

There's nothing special about Youtube or Google video as far as what they are doing with posting videos online. The only thing these sites have going for them is that they are free to post and they have massive visitor bases.

Anyone who is willing could potentially set up their own server and run flash videos off of it. The only downside would be that you have to pay for the sever and the bandwidth. Yes, there would be a cost although the cost per video displayed would be nominal. It would be extremely affordable in comparison to taking over a traditional channel for some low population country.

--sjkted
sjkted is offline   Reply With Quote