View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 01:58 AM   #1
Fredkc
Project Avalon Member

Default The Urantia Book

Has anyone else here heard of, or remember something called:

"The Urantia Book"

?

To begin with, Please! can we just relax?

I am not pushing, selling, recommending, suggesting, implying, prosthletizing, preaching, or any other damned thing that leads up to, or sneaks up on doing any of the above. I'm on a forum where, it seems like there's a fairly high percentage of adults, and "honest people".

Such places have always seemed to be where people can air, try out, and throw out ideas, impressions, etc, and learn from rattling them against similar kinds of folk.

I'm even in the book section

The Urantia Book is simply one of those things I encountered along the way, that I could never quite 100% make up my mind about. Couldn't completely discard, I guess, and so it pops up from time to time.

I just a quick search that revealed:
Urantia.org: And they say they, "Urantia Foundation was established in 1950 to be the custodian of the inviolate text of The Urantia Book and to ensure that the book's teachings are spread, with the help of readers and fraternal organizations, to all people."

Then theres a
Urantia Book Fellowship: They're not too gabby about just how they came to be. It appears there was a split, along about 1970 and these two sites are the result.

Both sites will allow you to read the critter for free, online.

I even found that it's still available @ Amazon.
Current price: $15.61, used ones for around $7.50.
he heh
I purchased my copy, hardbound, in about 1973. Back then I had a boundless thirst, and was determined to leave no stone unturned. This particular stone cost me $50.00 and it was a 2 week special order.

This is no minor doorstop, either. I mean it is roughly 2,100 8 1/2 x 11 pages, printed on "bible paper" and roughly the same sized type. I guess you'd call this a "channeled revelatory dissertation". Received in a similar fashion as the "book of mormon", the "aquarian gospel of jesus" etc.

You might see how far you get from Page 1. I have, on occasions and with a stiff tail wind, made it up to 50 pages into it, from a random starting point, before my eyes started glazing over.

"To err is divine. To really foul things up requires a computer." - Anon
"But for genuine jaw-droppin'-stupification of the masses... well you have to look to religion." - Fred

One of the first obstacles I faced with this critter, was it's meticulous, endless, and at times tedious partitioning of creation. Just trying to get my brain to get a beginner's handle on that made me thankful I can count all my children, and grandchildren on my fingers and toes.

There are Archangels, each with a department. Assistants, managing deputy assistant understudy angels who even have trainees, and ... a farm team!

It occurred to me one day that there was no need for God to banish Lucifer to "anywhere" or even "anytime"; all he'd have to do was hand him an Org-Chart and say, "Come back when you've memorized this."

And yet, on the same page that I encountered, in one paragraph, 7 distinct names for the "Supreme Creator" of this dance, and no distinction as to which refers to which facet, when, or why; I would come across really clear, and pretty stuff like:
Quote:
God is primal reality in the spirit world; God is the source of truth in the mind spheres; God overshadows all throughout the material realms. To all created intelligences God is a personality, and to the universe of universes he is the First Source and Center of eternal reality. God is neither manlike nor machinelike. The First Father is universal spirit, eternal truth, infinite reality, and father personality.

Or how about:
Quote:
The enlightened worlds all recognize and worship the Universal Father, the eternal maker and infinite upholder of all creation. The will creatures of universe upon universe have embarked upon the long, long Paradise journey, the fascinating struggle of the eternal adventure of attaining God the Father. The transcendent goal of the children of time is to find the eternal God, to comprehend the divine nature, to recognize the Universal Father.

Now, I agree that most of that is fairly "standard fare" you'd expect in the usual "Gnu-Age" book on such things. What kind of set it apart for me, was that according to the story, this stuff was all channeled beginning in 1925 to a group that grew around a 7th Day Adventist minister who took a fancy to spiritualism, about then. No Madam Blavatskys or Crowleys locked in thye closet, either.

One of the other things about the complexity of "theme" of this book, is that it struck an unexpected chord. Given the stuff being floated nowadays about the multiplicity of "non-terrestials" lurking about, and their various purposes for being here....

Well I guess that's where it struck the chord. I really don't have anything approaching an opinion, or even a clue as to whether Urantia might be another version/description of things. "Hide n' watch", I guess.

So, does anyone else know of this book? It's content? What have you?

I'd like to hear what anyone has to say on it.

Fred

Evil cannot be killed. Only redeemed.

Chat us up at: Avalon Chat
Fredkc is offline   Reply With Quote