Esther
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: The Urantia Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredkc View Post
Has anyone else here heard of, or remember something called:

"The Urantia Book"

?

To begin with, Please! can we just relax?

I am not pushing, selling, recommending, suggesting, implying, prosethletizing, preaching, or any other damned thing that leads up to, or sneaks up on doing any of the above. I'm on a forum where, it seems like there's a fairly high percentage of adults, and "honest people".

Such places have always seemed to be where people can air, try out, and throw out ideas, impressions, etc, and learn from rattling them against similar kinds of folk.

I'm even in the book section

The Urantia Book is simply one of those things I encountered along the way, that I could never quite 100% make up my mind about. Couldn't completely discard, I guess, and so it pops up from time to time.

I just a quick search that revealed:
Urantia.org: And they say they, "Urantia Foundation was established in 1950 to be the custodian of the inviolate text of The Urantia Book and to ensure that the book's teachings are spread, with the help of readers and fraternal organizations, to all people."

Then theres a
Urantia Book Fellowship: They're not too gabby about just how they came to be. It appears there was a split, along about 1970 and these two sites are the result.

Both sites will allow you to read the critter for free, online.

I even found that it's still available @ Amazon.
Current price: $15.61, used ones for around $7.50.
he heh
I purchased my copy, hardbound, in about 1973. Back then I had a boundless thirst, and was determined to leave no stone unturned. This particular stone cost me $50.00 and it was a 2 week special order.

This is no minor doorstop, either. I mean it is roughly 2,100 8 1/2 x 11 pages, printed on "bible paper" and roughly the same sized type. I guess you'd call this a "channeled revelatory dissertation". Received in a similar fashion as the "book of mormon", the "aquarian gospel of jesus" etc.

You might see how far you get from Page 1. I have, on occasions and with a stiff tail wind, made it up to 50 pages into it, from a random starting point, before my eyes started glazing over.

"To err is divine. To really foul things up requires a computer." - Anon
"But for genuine jaw-droppin'-stupification of the masses... well you have to look to religion." - Fred

One of the first obstacles I faced with this critter, was it's meticulous, endless, and at times tedious partitioning of creation. Just trying to get my brain to get a beginner's handle on that made me thankful I can count all my children, and grandchildren on my fingers and toes.

There are Archangels, each with a department. Assistants, managing deputy assistant understudy angels who even have trainees, and ... a farm team!

It occurred to me one day that there was no need for God to banish Lucifer to "anywhere" or even "anytime"; all he'd have to do was hand him an Org-Chart and say, "Come back when you've memorized this."

And yet, on the same page that I encountered, in one paragraph, 7 distinct names for the "Supreme Creator" of this dance, and no distinction as to which refers to which facet, when, or why; I would come across really clear, and pretty stuff like:

Or how about:

Now, I agree that most of that is fairly "standard fare" you'd expect in the usual "Gnu-Age" book on such things. What kind of set it apart for me, was that according to the story, this stuff was all channeled beginning in 1925 to a group that grew around a 7th Day Adventist minister who took a fancy to spiritualism, about then. No Madam Blavatskys or Crowleys locked in thye closet, either.

One of the other things about the complexity of "theme" of this book, is that it struck an unexpected chord. Given the stuff being floated nowadays about the multiplicity of "non-terrestials" lurking about, and their various purposes for being here....

Well I guess that's where it struck the chord. I really don't have anything approaching an opinion, or even a clue as to whether Urantia might be another version/description of things. "Hide n' watch", I guess.

So, does anyone else know of this book? It's content? What have you?

I'd like to hear what anyone has to say on it.

Fred
You are a very funny man....the fingers and toes comment had me laughing out loud.

The Urantia followers have a lot of infighting about copyrights. The book was received by a Kellog, of the famous cereal family, and because of his rantings, he was placed in an insane asylum. The doctor who was taking care of him became fascinated with his rantings and started writing them down. Beginning 1905 and over a 20+ year period hand-recorded by Dr. William S. Sadler, a noted Chicago physician and psychiatrist. Kellog was not at all interested in what was coming out of his mouth, In successive years more info has been received but the persons will not give their names out.

I personally know of some that have been threatened and harassed.

For it, it can be said the things contained in this book are nothing short of fascinating.

Against it, some so called Christian say it is demonic. That's total bs.

In some aspects it is heavily laden with Adventists view such as the claim that Jesus was Angel Michael in heaven, something the Bible does not put as belief.

The revelations that started coming forth regarding science, have been only lately confirmed.

When the *powers*that*be* heard about this, they wanted to intervene by planting thoughts in the heads of the receivers. It was then that they became a members only organizations loosely based in small pockets of groups that are isolated and they participate in different church scenarios according to their own beliefs.

Urantian followers do not behave in any way like religionists, although some can be quite inflexible and other dabble in strange stuff.

Present day followers heavy into the book claim to receive information through transmissions, they use the letters tr to differentiate from chanellers because in the process they are quite conscious of their own personality. They 'hear' inside
their ears and start transcribing.

Perhaps the most fascinating aspect of Urantian followers is the 11:11 phenomenon proposed by George Barnard over 50 years ago. He says the number belongs to the 1,111 followers of God, the half angel and half human Midwayers, who fought the rebels Satan and Caligastia. 1111 is their calling card. The rebels wanted to shorten the process by which humans would approach their inner God and shorten the evolutionary path. There are more than that number by now. According to George, Satan, Caligastia and their followers have been totally exterminated in the 1990s after been given numerous opportunities to correct themselves. Earth had been placed in a quarantine of sorts because God did not want to contaminate other peaceful planetary beings.

George is an extremely talented and funny man, who can also be quite inflexible in his beliefs.

http://1111angels.com/GeorgeBarnardArchives.html

At present Urantian followers say a new revelation is forthcoming and many are still receiving messages.

An independent confirmation of the existence of the Midwayers has been claimed by Dr. Courtney Brown, a remote viewer who worked for the government and turned to spirituality when he started seeing Jesus and Buddha in remote viewing sessions. That is what stopped the program on the government. The fundamentalists generals thought they were engaging in demonic practices. Dr. Brown is not a Urantia follower.

Dr. Brown has a free book that can be read online.

www.courtneybrown.com

The Urantia book has as you know complicated passages and issues, but it is an incredibly beautiful book when it describes Jesus, prayers and the way to connect to the thought adjuster, or God within.

The most beautiful and liberal of Urantia book websites is:

http://www.truthbook.com/

That is the part that all religious books contribute to mankind, the good parts that join us all.

Happy search!

Last edited by Esther; 11-02-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote