Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 03:57 AM   #1
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Talking AFFORDABLE HOUSING? Twelve AMAZING Shipping Container Houses

You know I mentioned to a few people how they could use a shipping container or trucking trailer (reinforced) to create an underground facility. These above ground designs are works of art.

Twelve AMAZING Shipping Container Houses

By Brian Clark Howard
Posted Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:50am PDT

Invented more than five decades ago, the modern shipping container is the linchpin in our global distribution network of products. In the containers go toys from China, textiles from India, grain from America, and cars from Germany. In go electronics, chocolate, and cheese.

While a number of resourceful people have converted shipping containers into make-shift shelters at the margin of society for years, architects and green designers are also increasingly turning to the strong, cheap boxes as source building blocks.

Shipping containers can be readily modified with a range of creature comforts and can be connected and stacked to create modular, efficient spaces for a fraction of the cost, labor, and resources of more conventional materials.

Discover some of the exciting possibilities of shipping container architecture, from disaster relief shelters to luxury condos, vacation homes, and off-the-grid adventurers. See what makes them green as well as cutting edge.

Related links from The Daily Green at bottom of yahoo article:
45 Awe-inspiring Homes Made From Shipping Containers
9 Cutting-Edge Designs That Will Change Your Mind About Modular Homes

Article continues and photos: http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_gr...er-houses.html

Set on 50 acres of gorgeous Scottish countryside, Cove Park is an artist's retreat designed to stimulate and reinvigorate. Urban Space Management first brought in three repurposed shipping containers in 2001, and the center became so popular that more units have been added.

Last edited by peaceandlove; 03-27-2009 at 05:00 AM.
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Default Re: AFFORDABLE HOUSING? Twelve AMAZING Shipping Container Houses

Hi peaceandlove,

I think they're great!

I've lived in a car, a motor home and on two boats.

I've yet to live on an aeroplane and if I can squeeze it in I'll give those bad boys a try!

I remember when I was a kid during the seventies two fibre glass homes in the shape of flying saucers near to a place called Todmorden in the northwest of the UK. Culd it be they were an influence?

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceandlove View Post
You know I mentioned to a few people how they could use a shipping container or trucking trailer (reinforced) to create an underground facility. These above ground designs are works of art.

Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

We use shipping containers here in New Zealand for offices, temporary accomadation, barns, storage. They are great for so many things, and sure, with a bit of modification, underground housing, or above ground. They are plentiful and quite cheap.

Cheers

Carmen
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Can they be had cheap?

Wouldn't mind living in a shipping container if SHTF.

Hell, just give me a couch, pillow, blanket and a few months of food supply and I'll be content.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

Yes Humble, they cost about 2 to 4 thousand depending on size and condition. The biggest cost after that is getting one transported to your property. Thats New Zealand prices. Don't know about USA. Anyone else know here on the forum?

Cheers

Carmen

c
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:25 AM   #6
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Love it!!

Will need to put in a natural pool though.
See this link -> 23 Breathtaking Natural Swimming Pools
http://projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13967

45 Amazing Homes and Offices Built from Shipping Containers

Not just for resourceful squatters, container architecture is taking the world by storm. Recycled freight containers bring efficiency, flexibility and affordability to innovative green buildings, from small vacation cabins to movable cafes, schools and skyscrapers.

Photos: http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-h...on=art&mag=tdg
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote