Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 05:12 AM   #1
Tez
Retired Avalon Member

Arrow SW AM FM Radio Receivers

This site has a variety of SW/AM/FM Radio's that can be self powered, wind-up and extremely useful under emergency situations to hear what is going on in the outside world around you, if they are transmitting that is.

Link to website : Alternative Energy Sources

Tez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
california
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: SW AM FM Radio Receivers

Okay... hate to show my ignorance.... what is good about short waves that my other radios don't have?

Can I do just as well with my ordinary radio (that winds up) in an emergency?
california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
Tez
Retired Avalon Member

The only difference with this type,

Wind-up for if no other means of powering it,

AM and FM are local frequencies with limited range,
SW would give access to longer range of communications operating around the globe on short wave frequencies )if your present radio doesnt handle shortwave)

Tez
Tez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
SpeedAdict
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs up Re: SW AM FM Radio Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tez View Post
This site has a variety of SW/AM/FM Radio's that can be self powered, wind-up and extremely useful under emergency situations to hear what is going on in the outside world around you, if they are transmitting that is.

Hi TEZ..

I think that you are trying to help people that have not prepare with the basic stuff.. The people that live in disaster areas are a "litle" better prepared for the aftermath of disasters, but that DOSN'T mean that the general public USE this info to get ready for something that could happens..

For example, if you have food in preparation, dont go to the hungry friend just to show up! Thats nasty..

Keep writting to the general people and ignore the one's that think that have ANYTHING planned and are "SAFE" already

PS: BTW if something happens, remember that batteries in the Radio Shack stores will be SOLD OUT.. Even if you have a pile stock of batteries, they eventualy wear out..

I recommend a SOLAR PANEL, either the plastic ones or the rigid ones, they can drive radios, walky talkies, GPS, rechargeable batteries, and so on!!
a Litle expensive BUT very very Handy...
Keep up.

Last edited by SpeedAdict; 10-14-2008 at 05:34 AM.
SpeedAdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
Chinderland
Avalon Senior Member

Hi, guys,

I recently bought a multi-power radio made by Kaito (model KA009R) http://www.kaitousa.com/radios.htm

This radio can be powered by an adapter (included), battery (3 AA's), solar power (built-in solar panel), and dynamo (manual winds-up).

In terms of radio bands, it is also all-encompassing. It has FM, AM, SW1, 2, 3 and 4. Also included are: weather channels, TV and air flight (don't know what this is for...)

In the box, you also get a plug earphone, a soft antenna for enhanced reception for SW, and a (cheap) water-repellant plastic bag for the radio set. The size of the radio is small, very portable.

You can order directly from Kaito in USA. Price is about 60 dollars and shipment is very fast. I chose UPS worldwide expedited as shipping option. Ordered it on Friday morning US Eastern time, and got the radio in the Netherlands the next Monday. The UPS shipping cost was way higher than the radio itself. I guess their shipping within America could be even quicker!

About its Dynamo power, I don't remember exactly but it's like if you wind it for 3 minutes (2 rounds/second) you will get enough power for 6 hours ... I might be wrong, so check their website yourself. You can also use the Dynamo to charge your cell phones. Charging connectors for major cell phone brands are included in the box.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers.
Chinderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:29 AM   #6
Shellie
Banned

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/el...os/review.html
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:35 AM   #7
Greg222
Avalon Senior Member

Having a short wave radio has one very great advantage... TRUTH. During emergencies, you can bank on our shadow gov't 'friends' using the AM and FM bands to give us the news they want you to hear (manipulation). But shortwave operators around the world will form a network of 'little people' giving the truth of whats happening in their neck of the woods. Besides, SW radios are relatively cheap and plentiful right now.

Also, I recommend learning how to string a wire outside to use as an antenna to increase reception.

Greg222
Greg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #8
RamblingRebel
Avalon Senior Member

Freeplay Ranger -FPR HOW MUCH!!!!

I bought one of these a couple of years ago for £20 (new)...thought this internet was supposed to be cheap!

I would recommend the freeplay ranger btw...solar powered, wind up, rugged, good sound and fantastic battery life for a 30 second charge.

My stepfather bought the little cheap ones with a torch on but they were just so flimsy and the winder upper fell off after a few do's
RamblingRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Peace2all
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tez View Post

Sorry for the silly question - but can you also speak on these or are they to just for listening?
Just bought a Uniden CB radio / Antenna any clues for what channels in emergencies to listen to? Are there channels you are not supposed to listen or transmit on? - Brain overload on learning all these new things . . . thanks me again, Pep
Peace2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinderland View Post
Hi, guys,

I recently bought a multi-power radio made by Kaito (model KA009R) http://www.kaitousa.com/radios.htm

This radio can be powered by an adapter (included), battery (3 AA's), solar power (built-in solar panel), and dynamo (manual winds-up).

In terms of radio bands, it is also all-encompassing. It has FM, AM, SW1, 2, 3 and 4. Also included are: weather channels, TV and air flight (don't know what this is for...)

In the box, you also get a plug earphone, a soft antenna for enhanced reception for SW, and a (cheap) water-repellant plastic bag for the radio set. The size of the radio is small, very portable.

You can order directly from Kaito in USA. Price is about 60 dollars and shipment is very fast. I chose UPS worldwide expedited as shipping option. Ordered it on Friday morning US Eastern time, and got the radio in the Netherlands the next Monday. The UPS shipping cost was way higher than the radio itself. I guess their shipping within America could be even quicker!

About its Dynamo power, I don't remember exactly but it's like if you wind it for 3 minutes (2 rounds/second) you will get enough power for 6 hours ... I might be wrong, so check their website yourself. You can also use the Dynamo to charge your cell phones. Charging connectors for major cell phone brands are included in the box.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers.
Greeting's Chinderland,
Thanks for the info, I've been looking for a solar- power/crank optional model. Reasonable prices, Testimonials seem genuinely positive. This is a good product site! my best giovonni
giovonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #11
Julius
Avalon Senior Member

Peace2call

I have a cb radio and you no longer need a licence to broadcast on any channels. However, channel 9 is usually the emergency channel.

Channel 19 is another popular channel used by truckers.

Remember that a cb radio is only good as the antenna..usually about 4-6 miles at best on a clear day.

Hope this helps
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
Waterman
Avalon Senior Member

Hi folks,

In the thread started by Bill Ryan on amateur radio, I posted some videos about shortwave radios that I think you would like. Just do a search on my name and go to the one on amateur radio. If you haven't already I would recommend doing some reading on that thread.

There is however, a radio to avoid. It is the called the 1103. It is marketed by Kaito, and Degen. The problem with these radios is that they were deliberately programmed to start malfunctioning after a certain amount of time passed. They are all made by..... China. The amateur radio community has chatted about this more than likely deliberately programmed malfunction for a long time and we recommend that if possible you stay away from Chinese made radios. Reason? Because they may be programmed to malfunction when you need them the most.

Yes we have all done the hmmm? thing too.

When buying a radio to listen to make sure the range of listening goes down to at least 3.000 mHz or you will likely not be able to hear night time radio stations you will need to listen to.

Here is the website where you can actually call and talk to someone about their radios. Can even repair or improve some older radios for you.
http://www.radiolabs.com/

If you will pm me I will be gland to help.

Last edited by Waterman; 10-15-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote