Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
Baggywrinkle

Default *The Unforeseen Benefits to Storing Food*

*The Unforeseen Benefits to Storing Food*
By: ThePiedPiper
24 March 2007

For those of us who store what we eat and eat what we store, buying extra food is second nature. When we go to the store, we pick up a little extra. When canned foods we like come on sale, we buy lots of extra. We then store it. We put the newly acquired items in the back and use the older items first.

And so it was that, when the pet food contamination story broke, I was not concerned. At worst, I knew that any tainted foods were stored in one of the back stacks of "Mount Slurpy," the name I've affectionately given the stacks of cases of cat food I keep. I was lucky. My myriad Mount Slurpies, thus far, are completely devoid of tainted foods.

But more to the point, even had I acquired some of the offending product, I wouldn't have fed it to my pets and they'd still be safe. Why? Because I store more than three months worth of cat food. Hence, I wouldn't have gotten to the poisoned items by the time the news about the contamination broke.

So what we see here is yet another positive externality of storing food for the long term. By storing months of food, you have a buffer zone between you and potentially contaminated foods. Even if a company like Menu Foods then drags its feet, i.e. engages in unconscionable delay before revealing the problem to the public, pets belonging to those who store and rotate food for the long term are safe.

If it turns out Menu Foods discovered the problem in January or February, but failed to reveal it until March, think of how many people bought the contaminated food AFTER the company knew it was contaminated. Even if they could recover a lot of money for their lost pets (which they probably can't, due to the laws in our country), that won't bring those beloved pets back. What could have saved those pets was building in a buffer zone.

Storing enough food for several months makes sense for many reasons. Corporate misfeasance, malfeasance and plain ole greed have now risen to a higher level on the list of those reasons. Protect yourself and your loved ones, including your pets, by establishing a buffer zone. It's just a question of time before the next company announces a recall.
ThePiedPiper

http://www.alpharubicon.com/survpage...oodstorage.htm

Last edited by Baggywrinkle; 11-26-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Sol Invictus
Banned

Default Re: *The Unforeseen Benefits to Storing Food*

I do wish you would post your own thoughts about said article instead of just throwing up things and not saying anything.

Kind of makes it really hard to even gather the will power to write anything because how can we be sure your even interested if you haven't been bothered to comment?
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Baggywrinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
I do wish you would post your own thoughts about said article instead of just throwing up things and not saying anything.

Kind of makes it really hard to even gather the will power to write anything because how can we be sure your even interested if you haven't been bothered to comment?

If I post it, it is a safe bet that I agree with it and I'm doing my level best to live it in my own life. The last time
we went to the market was six weeks ago. How long was it for you? We declared it a rainy day and started
eating some of our long term storable food. We had potato soup that was canned over two years ago. You eat what you store and store what you eat.

Whether you post or not is up to you. What is important
is that you prep.

What have you done to prep for hard times this week.
Last night I roasted coffee on my kerosene stove and we spent the evening by lamp light. Deb ground wheat this weekend and baked a loaf of bread. Last January we purchased 600 pounds of hard white winter wheat; a three year supply before the prices shot up. In September we purchased 100 pounds of green colombian
supremo coffee beans; a 16 month supply.

I have plans to bring original articles to this forum. But before I expend that effort, the membership needs to demonstrate that it is serious about prepping by contributing to the database. At Alpha Rubicon they have a publish or perish doctrine. All the members are required to contribute one original article on prepping a month. Leeching is not allowed. I would like to see that policy here also. It makes for an active involved membership.

Last edited by Baggywrinkle; 11-26-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
Steve_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post

Hi Sol

Posting articles such as this is partly what the research team is there for. The idea is that they go out and find items they think would be of interest to the members of the forum, bring them back and put them up so the members can discuss them if they wish to. They work really hard doing this along with putting together an easier method of searching for information- the initial effort should be available soon, and it's looking very good.

Don't be hard on them if they don't always have time to comment on what they've found, they're working their botties off!

Goodwill

Steve G
Old 11-26-2008, 03:49 AM   #5
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Well I have to say I'm impressed. C77 found a great link that I was going to order from.
http://efoodsdirect.com/products.html