Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Resources > How To Learn About Stuff

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
NorCal Avenger

Default Cooking - Most important in emergencies

Not very many people know how to cook any more. As an avid outdoorsman, i've spent a lot of time cooking, and thought I should share a couple tips for staying fed:

1. stews are the most versatile thing you can make. First of all, boiling water kills most bacteria and parasites, which is great. Also, you can't ruin a stew (unless you over salt it) - seriously, almost any ingredient you can think of, will taste great in a stew. vegetables + meats = cheap, nutritious easy meal to make. All you need to carry is a pot, you can stir with a stick. Stews are a great way to feed communes.

2. peanut butter and bacon sandwiches (i promise, they're actually kind of tasty). If you know that you will not have food for a long time, make these sandwiches in advance. They have 600+ calories each, and they will last for weeks (unless they mold), they taste better than MRE's, and are compact and light. they can keep you and your family alive for a very long time.

3. fire: cheap lighters always break (they lose their spark) and matches always get wet. refillable lighters are the most durable and dependable for making fires.

Just consider the possibilities and you'll be prepared; if the utilities all fail in the large city you live in, you still have wood furniture to burn and cook with, but you don't have much, so be prepared to eat dry goods that don't expire. If you live in a commune, be prepared to feed lots of people at a time in a cheap and nutritious way.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Cooking - Most important in emergencies

Yeah good advice and thanks-i camp alot, walk everwhere anyway, have a coal fire already-i'm more bothered about a nuclear attack if this happens then no go joe for me!EMP burst will knock everything dead initially then the shock waves and firestorm then we have the fall out then maybe a nuclear winter beautiful times!!-you have to be fully prepared for that kinda s**t!! lol.Dried food such as flour,pulses lentils,beans are good to keep and store-bottled water sealed up,dried egg,milk,tinned goods ,tinned fruit,veggies-try and get some seeds of veggies,basic tools such as spade,fork,axes and sharpening implements.I'm curious about fully stocked shops and looting.

Last edited by Antaletriangle; 09-11-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
awakendreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Avenger View Post

1. stews are the most versatile thing you can make. First of all, boiling water kills most bacteria and parasites, which is great. Also, you can't ruin a stew (unless you over salt it) - seriously, almost any ingredient you can think of, will taste great in a stew. vegetables + meats = cheap, nutritious easy meal to make. All you need to carry is a pot, you can stir with a stick. Stews are a great way to feed communes.

If you do happen to over salt that stew... drop a couple of chopped potatoes in there... works like a charm. (if you have any)
Old 09-21-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

wow...now, i freeze things inside the ice,
when going camping

and, its amazing what you can cook up
out in the wild

many people do NOT realise,
that you can actually get energy from the sun

and, that you can breathe, and, fill yourself with air

we do need water

i was conceived in a golden tent, with no floor,
in april in canada in alconquin park
so, i grew up camping

i am lucky being in the organics business,
i could live for many, many years, on my stock of greens,
flower essences etc.,

i have stocked up on a bunch of organic things...
like mangos/and, pineapples,
inca golden berries, tibetan raisins,
peru real chocolate nibs/which can be ground
for hot chocolate...lots of assortments of teas, etc.,
and, all kind of dried things
onions/and, garlic etc.,
jungle peanuts, gogi berries,
and, organic sugars, and, sea salt (it's important)
and, even powdered organic vanilla,
organic grains ...and, all sorts of other good stuff

what's the camping like in the UK ???

canada is amazing to camp

love
susan
the eXchanger
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote