Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
eurosceptic
Avalon Senior Member

Default Unusual White Flashes in the sky over East England-Anyone Noticed?

Hi everyone

Been noticing for about two/three weeks on and off now white flashes of varying intesnity that resemble sheet lightning but seem altogether different.

There is certainly no thunder and I travelled 30 miles to the coast here last night and saw flashes all the way and while out at the coast over the sea to the south I saw the same flashes for over an hour. The regular intervals seemed unusual as well every 2/3 minutes like clockwork for sustained periods. At least for 2 hours (that I noticed last night while at the coast here and while driving and I drive a lot at night and notice them all the time.

I thought it may be the local small (Euro and internal flights only) Airport but I am certain it is not. The flashes seem to come from the sky for definite and seem to cover a large area.

As I say - the unusual factors are the intervals of every 2/3 minutes like clockwork, the unusual colour and brightness intensity, lack of thunder and the range they were seen over - also in clear skies with no rain etc.

Any experts know what this might be? is there some easy explanation or is the sky being charged up for some reason or are these flashes just big lightships signallining turns as its so crowded up there??

Last edited by eurosceptic; 11-01-2008 at 01:56 AM.
eurosceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
pilgrim
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Unusual White Flashes in the sky over East England-Anyone Noticed?

Hi,
I live in Belfast and about 2 weeks ago I was standing at my back door talking to another member of my group, on the phone, and I noticed white flashes inside of a cloud. The cloud was also was about 4 miles away and at first I thought maybe it was a helicopter passing, but it would have to have done some strange manoeuvres to get the back and forth effect. Bout 5 minutes later a helicopter did appear and went in the direction of the cloud, but its search light was insignificant in comparison and had no noticeable effect.
Last Saturday night the same thing occurred and it has left me puzzled as to what it was.
There was no thunder and the skies were pretty clear with only the odd cloud showing.
If I were to guess the length of the cloud, I would say around 500 yards, very hard to say.
I could only measure it against the size of the helicopter.
It was not sheet lightning as that would have lit the whole cloud up, but this lit up part, like someone moving a torch behind a piece of paper, back and forth.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

I wish i could get over there to see these-intriguing to say the least-i am clueless!Just admire them for the time they're there.Are they very bright,out at sea,any idea of altitude?Thanks for the intrigue!lol.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
pilgrim
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaletriangle View Post
I wish i could get over there to see these-intriguing to say the least-i am clueless!Just admire them for the time they're there.Are they very bright,out at sea,any idea of altitude?Thanks for the intrigue!lol.
These were inland and not very high, about the same height you would see a police helicopter. I would emphasize that it was not a helicopter though, I've seen too many.
I would compare the brightness to car headlights in a fog. There are no military installations nearby and the airport was 5miles away. I watched them for about 15minutes then I had to go. I've no idea what they were, but I know it was not aircraft nor lightning.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
eurosceptic
Avalon Senior Member

Agree with PILGRIM over in Belfast...seems like the same type of thing. Flashes of varying intesnity (jndicating distance??) and brightness.

I see this effect all over Norfolk as I live out in the stix.

As I say - its not a headlight or beam it is like sheet lightning in effect...but is not...if you see what I mean...and I travelled all over East Norfolk the other night and saw them all up in the sky inland and out along the coast. Regular as clockwork as well...

Not sure if It was one source or many or the same phenomneon.

Electrified skies??!

See them all the time at the moment...any meterologists got any idea?

I been told by one of my own 'sources' who shall remain nameless that there is a portal in between Lowestoft and Yarmouth.......... And I thought it was The Darkness! hahha "i believe in a thing called love...!" (The Darkness being a rock band from Lowestoft - Rock music Ed.)

Last edited by eurosceptic; 10-31-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
Colin

I'm further North (Teesside) and whilst not witnessing the flashes you've seen, I have noticed an increase in very late air traffic (as in 2am) very high in the sky..
Old 10-31-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
Avid
Avalon Senior Member

Could be rockets - it's almost November 5th - they flare the clouds rhythmically?
Avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
Elephant Man
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I'm further North (Teesside) and whilst not witnessing the flashes you've seen, I have noticed an increase in very late air traffic (as in 2am) very high in the sky..
Im in the middle of denmark, quite rural. we are not on any flight path and very rarely see aircraft - day or night. the past month or so there has been increased air traffic from a nearby army base - but quite an amazing amount of aircraft flying very high. I counted 5 planes the other night, all visible at the same time. have been observing and it seems to be between 23.00 and 02.00 that there a most sightings. Dont know what it might mean, just found it to be a coincidence that you have seen the same.

peace
Elephant Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:25 AM   #9
Tuatha de Danann
Avalon Senior Member

I'm no expert...but...I'm here in Virginia, USA, and have noticed something very similar. While outside at night, A flash about the same duration as you stated. At first I thought it was a camera flash, very similar, but it wasn't localized and it lit up the tops of the trees dimly but noticable then I thought of Lightning but it was clear and no storms anywhere near at all. after thinking to myself that that's wierd I didn't think about again until several nights later it happened again. Then I thought of something I saw on a documentary sometime back about WWII, how the allies did night photo recon over Germany using a powerful strobe and high speed film. Maybe they do it with satilites now. Just a thought to consider.
Tuatha de Danann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:33 AM   #10
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid View Post
Could be rockets - it's almost November 5th - they flare the clouds rhythmically?
Loads of fireworks going off round here at the mo
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:33 AM   #11
eurosceptic
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuatha de Danann View Post
I'm no expert...but...I'm here in Virginia, USA, and have noticed something very similar. While outside at night, A flash about the same duration as you stated. At first I thought it was a camera flash, very similar, but it wasn't localized and it lit up the tops of the trees dimly but noticable then I thought of Lightning but it was clear and no storms anywhere near at all. after thinking to myself that that's wierd I didn't think about again until several nights later it happened again. Then I thought of something I saw on a documentary sometime back about WWII, how the allies did night photo recon over Germany using a powerful strobe and high speed film. Maybe they do it with satilites now. Just a thought to consider.
mmm yea interesting definitely. Might explain the very regular spaces between flashes...?
Old 11-01-2008, 01:36 AM   #12
Viva
Avalon Senior Member

Saw those flashes last night. I live in cork City Ireland. No clouds in the sky. Watched them untill the freezing cold got to me!!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:37 AM   #13
eurosceptic
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
Loads of fireworks going off round here at the mo
haha! mmm! definitely not rockets!
Old 11-01-2008, 01:53 AM   #14
eurosceptic
Avalon Senior Member

really?! seems unusual then...I wonder if there is an 'expert' on the forum who could shed some 'light' haha on this!

I have not noticed any tonight specifically but when I have noticed the flashes the skies are not dense & cloudy and they are not part of any type of rain storm etc...

Last edited by eurosceptic; 11-01-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:01 AM   #15
eurosceptic
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaletriangle View Post
haha! well you are quite welcome to come over to visit and see...! I remember going to stoke a few years ago! didnt see any white flashes in the sky though...or maybe I wasnt looking for them....
Old 11-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #16
Average Joe
Avalon Senior Member

Yes, I have also seen white flashes in the sky, on a clear night. Like a photo flash going off in the sky. It was a couple of weeks ago, so I think we can rule out fireworks.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #17
AndyH
Avalon Senior Member

Over SW Cork the sky has been beautifully clear for the past few evenings, it's a hell of a sight, millions of stars and little or no light pollution.
I've noticed quite a few shooting stars and occasionally they flare up a fair bit. They don't make much a flash tbh though.
AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #18
ABHA
Avalon Senior Member

Hi everyone, i have read that in the coming couple of months we are to experience light before a natural sunrise; as we are approaching some kind of cosmic cloud that absorbs the sunlight, before the sun actual rises for a couple of hours.
Look to the east, damn i wish i could recall the beginning of this, it may be now, if not soon.. maybe.
This probably does not account for flashes, but will be obvious and pretty soon.
Thanks, and have a great day crew.
ABHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #19
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid View Post
A Guy Fawkes Day celebration started early over there?
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #20
JoshG_528hz
Avalon Senior Member

Last night (around midnight eastern time), i walked outside for a cigarette and all of the sudden everything lit up like a flash of lightning, but no thunder. It was a bright blue-white color like a giant camera flash. I was kind of suprised to look at the sky and see that is was a clear night, no clouds in sight. This was the first time a saw anything like that. For a few minutes I was looking around for an explination but got nothing. This was kind of odd to me, but it was nice to come to the forum today and the first thing i saw was this thread. By the way, I'm nowhere close to East England. I'm in Michigan, a few miles west of Detroit. I've got no explination, hopefully somebody else does...

keep on keepin' on
JoshG_528hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #21
AndyH
Avalon Senior Member

Just an update on this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/04/taurid_meteors/

The taurids are meant to be especially spectacular this year, supposedly some will be fireballs rather than just shooting stars. This could explain the flashes, the 5th Nov is meant to be the best night to view them.
AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote