Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 12-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Microsoft gives XP another four months to live

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12...her_extension/

Free whitepaper - How to get started with a Service Oriented Architecture

Microsoft just can't quit you, Windows XP.

The final shipment date of Microsoft's aged, yet distinctively non-Vista operating system has been extended yet again. System builders can now obtain Windows XP until May 30, 2009.

Windows XP was originally scheduled for OEM extinction on January 31, 2009. That deadline was given once, twice, three times the delay to mid-2010, provided the Windows XP licenses were for netbooks and low-cost PCs that can't handle Windows Vista - or perhaps more importantly, can and do support Linux.

Microsoft has a problem, though, given the popular opinion of Windows Vista ranks just below Typhoid Mary in terms of "must-have" status. PC makers selling larger systems have been working around the January 2009 Windows XP expiration date by offering Windows-Vista-loaded machines with an option to downgrade to Windows XP.

Under the new, four-month extension, PC makers must still purchase licenses before January 31, but can choose to have the licenses delivered through May 30, 2009. This is apparently a move to keep system builders from stockpiling licenses as currency in a post-XPalypic future or at least until Microsoft can shove early versions of Windows 7 out the door in late 2009.

The latest extension means Windows XP is now coming in just short of being Microsoft's longest-offered operating system, with 89 months of desktop license availability. The winner by a nose is MS-DOS 6, which was available to system builders for 90 months. ®
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Microsoft gives XP another four months to live

I've got Windows Vista and have had few problems except things like the scanner/copier wasn't compatible and I had to spend an hour on the phone with HP and with some guy from India that I could barely understand! LOL! Oh and Vista doesn't like Adobe Acrobat for some reason, it can lock up my computer sometimes!
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah, I've got the home version of Vista and I can't complain about it either Dan. I would hazard a guess that 90% of any problems I strike have been caused by myself. Like trying to open a graphics file with a word processor or a video file that isn't in the format my video software recognises. Then, when I go to change the format I find that my free trial period has expired. Gosh! I have more problems trying to set up my video recorder to record TV than I've ever had with Vista, or XP, or Windows 98. Maybe it's just that I'm getting too old for this modern technology.
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman62 View Post
I had to spend an hour on the phone with HP and with some guy from India that I could barely understand! LOL!
That was probably Mudgereebaa. He applied for a job at an Indian call centre and was asked if he understood the English language. He was subsequently asked to use the following three words in a sentence - greeen, pink and yellow.

He thought for a moment then said, :The telephone goes 'green - green - green'. I pink it up and say 'yellow, who dere?"
Old 12-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Ah that's so funny Brinty, HaHa, and here I thought you were the expert on computers too!
Old 12-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Here ya go! LOL!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #7
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

I so don't buy anything MS for several years after its release. I resent paying to be a beta tester. I am still running XP and chose to do a downgrade on my Sony laptop when I bought it in the fall.
alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:44 AM   #8
ENdJOY
Avalon Senior Member

If anything VISTA should be pulled off the shelf...

why fix something that isn't broke (200+ patches later lol)

ask around, and you will find vista users do nothing but complain about the systems incompatibility issues and more... I'll stick with XP thank you
ENdJOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #9
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

I'd like to know what the specific problems are that others are experiencing with Vista .
Old 12-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
avyaktam
Avalon Senior Member

I have a specific problem with signing the license agreement of vista. Did you ever read it? I DON't agree.
avyaktam is offline   Reply With Quote