Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Archived Threads - Read Only

Notices

Archived Threads - Read Only For threads not posted in for 30 days

Old 09-12-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
stiffsock
Avalon Senior Member

Default Why does the world seem to be completely insane?

Why does the world seem to be
completely insane?

Yes, it always appears that you are in a minority of sane people (or perhaps you are the ONLY sane person) in a sea of completely confused crackpots. The reason that so many other people seem completely confused and wrongheaded is that they use different symbols and metaphors to view the world. It is impossible to discuss important issues such as politics, families, violence, justice, etc. without resorting to symbolism. Anything that does not directly refer to something that can be physically sensed, such as justice or one's concept of God must be referred to by metaphor and symbol. If you and another use different symbols, you will be unable to communicate effectively. Some of the main metaphors in use today are:

Conventional religion
Science
Power, that is, dominance and submission
Artistic and aesthetic worth
Traditional political categories
Material wealth and security
Romanticism and relationships
Honor, valor, and courage
Bigotry, racism, and exclusivity
Depth psychology (Freud, Jung, etc.)
Humanism and "new age" psychology
Traditional philosophy

Chances are that your views and beliefs about the world center around one or several of these metaphors. For example, if you see the world in terms of moral worth and submission to a higher law, you are conventionally religious. If you see the world in terms of cause and effect and experimenting to find the right solutions, you are oriented toward science.

People who share one or more basic metaphors will find that they can communicate effectively with one another and work together constructively. People who do not share any metaphors will usually be unable to regard one another with anything beyond fear, hostility, and contempt. Because of this lack of communication between groups, most discussions of important issues in the public arena quickly degenerate into grandstanding and name calling, because in the absence of real understanding between the disagreeing parties, only mob psychology is left to sway public opinion.

In all of this you may be left frustrated and unable to act, because you have not yet realized that:

The World Doesn't Want to be Saved.
The world is a teeming mishmash of cultures with a bewildering array of values and ideologies engaged in their own version of the good life. People are generally not interested in changing the metaphors through which they view the world, so real understanding between groups with conflicting viewpoints is not achievable in the short term. The good news is, that's OK, because the world isn't supposed to be saved on a global scale. It must be saved at the level of the individual. And despite the fact that the level of the individual appears to be statistically insignificant, it is in fact the most significant, because it is only at the level of the individual that a creative synthesis of conflicting metaphors can occur. Once a connection is made at the individual level, the process of spreading successful new metaphors throughout society is essential automatic if the society is ready for them. If the society is not ready, the new metaphors will not be accepted under any circumstances. So don't beat you head on a rock. Solve your own interpersonal communication problems. If the world is ready to benefit from your solutions, you will not be able to stop it from using them.

The Utility of Insanity
two examples:
Be aware that the term insanity refers to a social condition, not a medical malady. Insanity can be described as the inability to function under, or be bound by, the mores, or standards of human behavior and knowledge.

First example.... me
I tend to be an extremist, in anything I do. One manifestation of that extremism was my multi-year canoe voyage, which was designed to test if I could survive and thrive without the baggage of modern society. I took no money, portable phone, radio, credit cards, etc. I did take my pet bird. Over a period of years, I traveled from the Gulf of Mexico to the Beaufort Sea, on streams, rivers, lakes, oceans, and overland. I foraged for my food and was self-sufficent for transport and shelter. My bird was my teacher. I went completely feral and relied on instinct, rather than intellect. The longer I traveled, the more I avoided human contact. When I ended the voyage, upon entering a small city, I realized that I was completely insane and that I needed to re-integrate, slowly. I have re-integrated, somewhat. I treasure and maintain some of my insane skills.

Next example....... Leonard B.
I have many, many stories from my friendship with Leonard B, who was completely insane. Leonard is a world reknowned paleontologist, with no university education. As a teenager, he apprenticed himself to the founder of the field. So, much of what is studied at universities is directly a result of Leonard's early field work. Over time Leonard became the director of one of the largest natural history museums but the staff, which was composed mostly of PhDs in natural sciences, resented his unschooled and strange behaviours. Since this was a public museum, they sued in administrative court to remove Leonard from his position. The attorneys for the staff claimed that Leonard should be removed from his position, because he was insane, and they cited many instances of his strang behaviour.

Leonard chose to represent himself, before the court. In a fifteen minute argument, he agreed with all of the claims of the plaintiffs. He then informed the judge that he was completely insane and regarded insanity as his best asset and absolutely necessary for his work. He further explained that he was a pure scientist, who had spent his entire career expanding the field of human knowledge. In order to expand the field of human knowledge, one must function outside the boundaries of human knowledge and experience. If one works within the boundaries of human experience, one is a student of science, not a pure scientist.

In his decision, the judge agreed with the plaintiffs that Leonard was insane. He also agreed with Leonard that his insanity was absolutely necessary for his work. Thus, he ordered that proof of insanity be required for anyone to be given Leonard's job. Leonard resigned the following month.

Any questions??

Posted from: http://etresoi.ch/Denis/insane.html
stiffsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
doodah
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Why does the world seem to be completely insane?

Yes, very interesting. If we don't share metaphors we can't communicate.

Some time ago I came to understand two things:

1. That there are no "natural" human beings. All of us are enculturated, so we are in a sense all twisted in peculiar ways by all the metaphors you mention.

2. Every time you meet a person, you are in contact with a different culture, even if it's your "own" broader social group. Every time you enter a person's home, you enter a different culture.

What is required in all these circumstances, in order to understand who you are dealing with, is patience and observation. You have to pay attention and make very few assumptions, because all your assumptions will be based on your own culture (your own metaphors.)

Interesting post!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
stefaan
Avalon Senior Member

Red face Re: Why does the world seem to be completely insane?

Why does the world seem to be completely insane?
Maybe the creator was insane (and still is)?
The reason we didn't hear from him for such a long time : he is in a sanatorium trying to get well.
stefaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Theresa
Avalon Senior Member

according to A Couse in Miracles, the creator of THIS world IS insane-because its' the ego which believes it is separate from GOD.

Therefore, sanity is restored when we see again and know again through the Holy Spirit, or our higher self, or our SOURCE self, which is a restored connection with all that is.

Separation projected this universe, and since separation from SOURCE doesn't actually exist-this world is actually a nightmare UN-reality.

We are evolving to remember this, for many, many lifetimes.....but thank GOD,
"ascension happens!"
Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
stiffsock
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Be aware that the term insanity refers to a social condition, not a medical malady. Insanity can be described as the inability to function under, or be bound by, the mores, or standards of human behavior and knowledge.
Keep in mind I didn't write this, I just wanted to promote philosophical discussion on his points.

The above quote was missed by those that mention the "creator" being "insane."

My opinion..... OPINION..... is that I am the creator trying to understand my creation by projecting myself into the body of the one that is me. I just can't let myself believe that to the point I am no longer in the body of the one because I then miss the point of putting myself here in the first place.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
stiffsock
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
The reason we didn't hear from him for such a long time : he is in a sanatorium trying to get well.

Yeah, it is called the human race!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

You sound to me to be an excellent/intelligent/resourceful/sensitive human being/soul.

Quote:First example.... me
I tend to be an extremist, in anything I do. One manifestation of that extremism was my multi-year canoe voyage, which was designed to test if I could survive and thrive without the baggage of modern society. I took no money, portable phone, radio, credit cards, etc. I did take my pet bird. Over a period of years, I traveled from the Gulf of Mexico to the Beaufort Sea, on streams, rivers, lakes, oceans, and overland. I foraged for my food and was self-sufficent for transport and shelter. My bird was my teacher. I went completely feral and relied on instinct, rather than intellect. The longer I traveled, the more I avoided human contact. When I ended the voyage, upon entering a small city, I realized that I was completely insane and that I needed to re-integrate, slowly. I have re-integrated, somewhat. I treasure and maintain some of my insane skills.

Well, i think you manifested a place that most of only dare to dream/entertain;you actually experienced a world alone,with no external influences,albeit natural ones,no social compliances or worries of 'what people may thnk'.
This would have made an excellent study for anthropologists-not that i mean you 'fit' into any category and I wouldn't even wish to go there.
You've proven that you are and mankind is inately self-sufficient and that social indoctrinations have no effect on the quality of one's development,on the contrary...!
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
stiffsock
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
What is required in all these circumstances, in order to understand who you are dealing with, is patience and observation. You have to pay attention and make very few assumptions, because all your assumptions will be based on your own culture (your own metaphors.)
YES YES YES! This is true of all things. Patience and observation. Tao.

Tao abides in non-action yet nothing is left undone. If kings and lords observed this, the ten thousand things would develop naturally. If they still desired to act they would return to the simplicity of formless substance. Without form there is no desire. Without desire there is tranquillity. And in this way all things would be at peace. (verse 37. Tao Te Ching. Gia Fu Feng)
Old 09-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
Stephen

To answer the question of this thread in one word: FEAR!
Old 09-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
Theresa
Avalon Senior Member

amen, dude!
Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #11
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dood View Post
To answer the question of this thread in one word: FEAR!
How very true!
Also always be a listener;translate information on a steady basis and never jump to conclusions.

desiderata - by max ehrmann
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann c.1920

Last edited by Antaletriangle; 09-12-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #12
Suriel

The world isn't insane. The people in power are just making selfish choices. The rest of us are just trying to survive. One way or another the equation will balance out.

Most people that do not live in high populated areas are intelligent, loving, and easy to get along with. Chaos is more likely to be in heavier populated areas.

We have poor leadership. The problems are resulting from non-spiritual, practical people living in a spiritual universe. The absence of light leaves many people unable to comprehend the importance of love or to understand that concept.

The real problem is the negative reactions from negative choices. All we really need to do to solve all are problems is to get good people in our governments. Relationships require trust, love, peace, and understanding. We need people that are spiritually evolved enough to carry out this plan.

Otherwise we will literally have Hell on Earth. So, the Earth loves us. We just need to love the Earth in return. There must be a balance.

That is my opinion. I'm not really happy about the way things are going right now either. I just hope things get better in the long run.

Peace.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #13
Arcane Son
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffsock View Post
Why does the world seem to be
completely insane?

First example.... me

Posted from: http://etresoi.ch/Denis/insane.html
Could you pm me or post here and elaborate more on this. I am really intrigued. I would love some details as to what you ate? What did you sleep in? Did you ever enter into any dangerous situations? How did you keep your pet bird with you without it flying away? How did you reintegrate back into society when you finally decided to end the expierence? Also what did friends and family members think of your choice to delve into the wilderness?

As to is the world insane. It can seem like that sometimes no doubt. I find the biggest problem is how heavily we are programmed and just seem to keep going around in circles. Also $ and the financial system we have created really cause our race to do things we probably would never do if we lived in complete abundance. If free alternative energy sources are allowed I think this will solve so many problems and burdens we could finally breath a collective sigh of relief.
Arcane Son is offline   Reply With Quote