Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blackbutt, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,004
Default This idea could save your life

I suggest that starting NOW, you should print out all data you can find about self sufficiency - because, if you don't, when the day arrives that the power grid is no longer working, or all the world's computer chips have been fried by some cosmic blast, you sure as heck are going to wish you had. It's all very well conserving trees by not using paper but, hey, when the chips are down, which is more important to you and your family - saving a tree, or saving your lives?
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
Kre8ive Lady
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 26
Default Re: This idea could save your life

Thank you for posting this great advice!
Kre8ive Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blackbutt, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,004
Default Re: This idea could save your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kre8ive Lady View Post
Thank you for posting this great advice!
Well, Cre8ive Lady, I've been guilty of "I'll-print-that-bit-of-info-out-tomorrow" only to find when "tomorrow" comes, the info has either been removed, or the website closed down.
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:01 AM   #4
vagabunda
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 45
Default Re: This idea could save your life

thanks, Brinty - SUCH good advice - we can barely survive these days without the "conveniences" we take entirely for granted!
vagabunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
Starlah
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 372
Post Re: This idea could save your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinty View Post
I suggest that starting NOW, you should print out all data you can find about self sufficiency - because, if you don't, when the day arrives that the power grid is no longer working, or all the world's computer chips have been fried by some cosmic blast, you sure as heck are going to wish you had. It's all very well conserving trees by not using paper but, hey, when the chips are down, which is more important to you and your family - saving a tree, or saving your lives?
_______________________________________

Will it help myself or anyone if I buy "chip gold".....probably not...your right Brinty the threats such as EMP (manmade) or a solar event could be devastating and our society for the most part is ill-prepared and ill-equipped to deal with the consequences.
I do suggest however that a certain percentage of trees are saved as their leaves and branches will substitute for the lack of toilet paper.
__________________________________________________ ___________
Kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight.........Bruce Cockburn
Starlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blackbutt, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,004
Default Re: This idea could save your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlah View Post
I do suggest however that a certain percentage of trees are saved as their leaves and branches will substitute for the lack of toilet paper.
Yes Starlah, or you could use large denomination bank notes. I believe they are washable and could be recycled.
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:38 AM   #7
chitty
Avalon Senior Member
 
chitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: S.E. Saskatchewan
Posts: 136
Default Re: This idea could save your life

Hey Brint, FYI, our library site states early in the year for resumed operations.
Good resource and a Big Thanks to those devoting time to that end.
chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
artvision
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 328
Default Re: This idea could save your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinty View Post
I suggest that starting NOW, you should print out all data you can find about self sufficiency - because, if you don't, when the day arrives that the power grid is no longer working, or all the world's computer chips have been fried by some cosmic blast, you sure as heck are going to wish you had. It's all very well conserving trees by not using paper but, hey, when the chips are down, which is more important to you and your family - saving a tree, or saving your lives?
Yes, Brinty is good idea. Will be mandatory print the most important documents.

Though many, as I find interesting sites and info I save in PDF file having installed in system a PDF printing plugins and when sent that document or webpage for printing, select that plugin instead of your usual printer, then that software is producing a pdf file instead. You can then archive that PDF's.

For Windows user, here is where you can find such free plugins yo select then when choosing printer:
http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0...type=downloads

For MAC OS and LINUX, print as PDF is a native function of OS.

The pdf is useful as is a very versatile, multy system, multi platform interchanging, preserve the form when printing, you can make your annotation on the text, like you are scribbling on the paper. (and no, I do not work for Adobe )

All those pdf files I put on a small laptop, these days called netboks, that is powered by 12 V - Asus 1000 and up to S101 (You can connect to car battery or solar system) for SHTF scenarios.

Of course, such netbook will stay wrapped in plastic bubble foil and on top of this plastic with aluminum oven foil (for EMP). From time to time I take out, charge battery and replenish the pdf archive.

This my idea, for keeping much info, but for the most important docs, guides, as you said, printing is king. Thus make a 3 ring binder and put everything of value for you, there.
artvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
morguana
Project Avalon Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: sussex, uk
Posts: 1,137
Default Re: This idea could save your life

super idea brinty, but i have to say i love my books, my fav is

that and lots on plant lore, bushcraft etc
bou x
__________________
better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace

the way is not in the sky, the way is in the heart

forum guidlines

Avalon Chat
morguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #10
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blackbutt, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,004
Default Re: This idea could save your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudicca View Post
super idea brinty, but i have to say i love my books, my fav is

that and lots on plant lore, bushcraft etc
bou x
Yeah bou, we've got two of his - "The Self-sufficient Gardener" & "The Complete Book of Self-sufficiency" both from the end of the '70s. We wouldn't be without them. A few others we have were published by "Prism Press" they were the "Backyard Series" - The Backyard Dairy book - all about cows and goats and how to care for them, milk them and then how to make butter and cheese. Backyard Beekeeping, Backyard Pig & Sheep book, and Backyard Poultry Book. All chocker with good information.
For in depth descriptions on smoking and curing of meat, try Keith Erlandson's "Home Smoking & Curing" and for more details on making cheese, there's Glynn Christian's "Cheese and Cheese Making. Once again, all these books are from the late'70s.
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:46 AM   #11
Lorien
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Beyond the rim....
Posts: 412
Default Re: This idea could save your life

This is indeed excellent advice. I actually started doing this a while ago. I even purchased a file folder case and have thing organized into categories. Any and all info i might need in one safe place
Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
artvision
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 328
Default Re: This idea could save your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien View Post
This is indeed excellent advice. I actually started doing this a while ago. I even purchased a file folder case and have thing organized into categories. Any and all info i might need in one safe place
Yes Lorien,

The Drawback for this issue, is that is so much information out there, that you cannot print, blindly and insert there. So, then you have to make excerpts... then you maybe, you skim the documents and copy just the significative pics, graphs or some major idea. Of course, this issue is an maybe-tomorrow, for many of us.

So, a few good books is a must have, no files, no print, end story. I bought the book "Dare to prepare 2009 Edition" of Holly Deyo, which I found very, very complete. Even it seems bulky, the paper is not so dense and is not heavy. Is good to have this one:

http://standeyo.com/Our_Books/DTP.html

Plus some of the US army guides, you have in this wpage, all of them:

http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm

there are some How To survive guides, some engineering manuals (very useful!) and a lot of insightful information there.
artvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #13
anikohu
Avalon Senior Member
 
anikohu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Beautiful Oregon
Posts: 14
Default Re: This idea could save your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudicca View Post
super idea brinty, but i have to say i love my books, my fav is

that and lots on plant lore, bushcraft etc
bou x
Wow it's cost only - $200
anikohu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:37 AM   #14
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blackbutt, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,004
Default Re: This idea could save your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikohu View Post
Wow it's cost only - $200
Go here . . . .http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...ency&x=53&y=11
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
artvision
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 328
Default Re: This idea could save your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikohu View Post
Wow it's cost only - $200
Did you check on net, maybe you can find to read it online ?
http://www.scribd.com/ or http://www.ebookee.com/

Just put the book title in the search window.
artvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
morguana
Project Avalon Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: sussex, uk
Posts: 1,137
Default Re: This idea could save your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikohu View Post
Wow it's cost only - $200
i bought mine for £10 , second hand from amazon
bou x
__________________
better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace

the way is not in the sky, the way is in the heart

forum guidlines

Avalon Chat
morguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #17
artvision
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 328
Default Re: This idea could save your life

Dears,

What is your opinion about this book: Ball Blue Book of preserving

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Book.../dp/0972753702

Is it good and complete about that food preserving subject?

We used to put lots of pickles, jams and fruits in sweet syrup, during harsh communist times, but lately we all bought from store (with a lot of preservative, toxic E's and sugar/HFCS, etc) So, I think we need to re-learn what we used to do before, if we want to preserve our health.

And I really do not want those foods, "preserved" by iradiating with Cobalt 60 isotope, as EU is preparing for us, from 2010, Codex Alimentarius
artvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:00 PM   #18
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blackbutt, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,004
Default Re: This idea could save your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvision View Post
Yes, Brinty is good idea. Will be mandatory print the most important documents.

Though many, as I find interesting sites and info I save in PDF file having installed in system a PDF printing plugins and when sent that document or webpage for printing, select that plugin instead of your usual printer, then that software is producing a pdf file instead. You can then archive that PDF's.

For Windows user, here is where you can find such free plugins yo select then when choosing printer:
http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0...type=downloads

For MAC OS and LINUX, print as PDF is a native function of OS.

The pdf is useful as is a very versatile, multy system, multi platform interchanging, preserve the form when printing, you can make your annotation on the text, like you are scribbling on the paper. (and no, I do not work for Adobe )

All those pdf files I put on a small laptop, these days called netboks, that is powered by 12 V - Asus 1000 and up to S101 (You can connect to car battery or solar system) for SHTF scenarios.

Of course, such netbook will stay wrapped in plastic bubble foil and on top of this plastic with aluminum oven foil (for EMP). From time to time I take out, charge battery and replenish the pdf archive.

This my idea, for keeping much info, but for the most important docs, guides, as you said, printing is king. Thus make a 3 ring binder and put everything of value for you, there.
Great! thanks artvision, I will find that very handy.
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #19
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: within my heart
Posts: 1,209
Lightbulb Re: This idea could save your life

Excellent prompt and advice Brinty,

Hopefully~ the Avalon Library will be soon operational again?
Then those here (again) can download its treasures.

I believe marianthelibrarian (joy) is working on this or check with Karen (mod-admin)
giovonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Project Avalon