Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,280
Default Shock threat to shut Skype

This one caught my eye.

Quote:
eBay says it may have to shut down Skype due to a licensing dispute with the founders of the internet telephony service.

The surprise admission puts a cloud over the 40 million active daily users around the world who use Skype for business or to keep in touch with friends and far-flung relatives.

A recent study by market researcher TeleGeography found Skype carried about 8 per cent of all international voice traffic, making it the world’s largest provider of cross-border voice communications.

The online auction powerhouse bought Skype from entrepreneurs Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis for $US2.6 billion in 2005, but this did not include a core piece of peer-to-peer communications technology that powers the software.

eBay has since been licensing the technology from the founders’ new company, Joltid, but the pair recently decided to revoke the licensing agreement.

The matter is now the subject of a legal battle in the English High Court of Justice, with eBay trying to force Joltid to let it continue using the technology.

...
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/biz...0731-e3qe.html
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,280
Default Re: Shock threat to shut Skype

Is skype too useful for us? Is it too hard for unsophisticated governments to monitor?

Does it lack sufficient ability to mine for personal information?

What is wrong with ebay/Skype that means that a simple licensing deal cant be worked out?

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northeastern Brazil
Posts: 1,259
Default Re: Shock threat to shut Skype

Hi Anchor,

I shouldn't worry about this one too much. If Skype shuts down there are a whole host of other service providers out there. It's been reported that Skype covers 8% of internet telephony. That leaves a whopping 92% to exploit. Yahoo! Messenger, MSN, Net2Phone..... and Google Voice (comming soon) the list goes on.

Just Google "Free internet telephony".

Best regards,

Steve



Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post

Last edited by Steve_A; 07-31-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
DoctorWho
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central, IL
Posts: 395
Default Re: Shock threat to shut Skype

I have Gizmo as a backup.
Bill "the Doctor"
DoctorWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,280
Default Re: Shock threat to shut Skype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A View Post
Hi Anchor,

I shouldn't worry about this one too much. If Skype shuts down there are a whole host of other service providers out there. It's been reported that Skype covers 8% of internet telephony. That leaves a whopping 92% to exploit. Yahoo! Messenger, MSN, Net2Phone..... and Google Voice (comming soon) the list goes on.

Just Google "Free internet telephony".

Best regards,

Steve
I am not worried
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Project Avalon