Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 11-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs down Wal-Mart Worker Dies When Shoppers Break Down Doors: Fox News

Greeting's Avalonian's,

Black Friday Madness at Long Island, NY Walmart!

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...art_after.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,458744,00.html

update story:http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081129/D94OJ4NG0.html

giovonni

Last edited by giovonni; 11-29-2008 at 11:51 PM.
giovonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
She-Ra
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Wal-Mart Worker Dies When Shoppers Break Down Doors: Fox News

Disgusting and horrific. Just imagine, much of this was for luxury products and greed not just groceries, what would it be like at least initially in the supposed plans for our future that depend on people panicking and basic essential products becoming scarce?

That poor man and the others who were trampled - 2000 people and barely anyone stopped.

Also - some of the comments posted by readers on that first link have become so ridiculous and off topic.
She-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
deb003
Avalon Senior Member

I was very saddened by this report. You go to work for a retail store one day and I'm sure not remotely thinking you would get trappled and killed by the insanity of consumerism. Also, I'm sure this man's family never thought their loved one would die at Walmart on a shopping spree day.
I live in Miami and there were a couple of reports of people breaking in toys-r-us in 2 locations. People are going mad.
I agree, if people can lose their concern and apathy as they trampple on an person, I don't want to assume what they would do if cold and hungry.
I do hope something comes out of this report. Such as maybe now Stores will be allot more careful during this day. Kinda' sad to say, but maybe there should be more police or security at the doors on a day like this.
My thoughts go out to this man and his loved ones. May he rest in peace now that he passed on.
deb003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
KassandraLoves
Avalon Senior Member

I agree with everything said so far. What the heck are these people thinking? They are like shopping mad zombies!

You know, you think WAL-MART would be forced to change the way they do this stuff due to it being hazardous. I mean, every single year someone dies or gets hurt! If this were happening at a local mom-n-pop shop every year, the police would surely have something to say about it, right? Theyd require hird security and crowd controllers. I mean, theyd say SOMETHING about the "issue" that it was and force them to take action....

But because its WAL-MART, they say NOTHING and let the madness ensue at the expense of EMPLOYEES and shoppers. What kinda cr@p is that? ugh.

Instead, we get to hear EVERY YEAR about crazed shoppers fighting, hurting, and killing people while running in the doors to get their 50" plasma tvs and their tickle-me elmos.

Its true what was posted a few posts up. That if people are THIS CRAZY for an 800$ plasma tv, then think of how its going to be when its FOOD and SHELTER and YOUR CAR that they want? Im not one for trying to scare people at all, but this even scares ME. Its crazy!

Hopefully we can all make it out of this era of consumerism. Its **killing** us.

My thought go to that mans family, too!
KassandraLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:46 AM   #5
JesterTerrestrial
Avalon Senior Member

I also heard that there was some people shot with guns at a toys r us.

And these people still have money

wait till the economy crashes and the looting starts.

What a mess. I dream of a better future.
JesterTerrestrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:51 AM   #6
Banned

Unfortunately, this didn't suprise me.

When the Playstation 3 hit stores and people were lining up outside stores, at a store near me someone shot another person in line with a shotgun.

Consumer madness.
371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

i will never go to a walmart, nor, shop in a walmart

i like to give people things, just because

NOT, because it is xmas / or a birthday, but, just because

i also, will never go to sporting events either

too much "herd" mentality
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

A few years ago some friends and I decided to go "people watching" on black friday. There was a target shopping center near my house at the time and they had been advertising $50 DvD players (a decent deal at the time) for awhile. It didn't sound like such a big deal to me, but a friend somehow knew it would be crazy and really wanted us to go check it out w/ him, he said it would be a good sociological experience for us.

So we hung out all thanksgiving night and at about 6 a.m. we went up to this hill that was a perfect lookout over the parking lot and storefront. There were like a few hundred people outside in a pretty informal line. They were all just milling about and some even had camp chairs set up. It was all fairly calm looking, and we were all giving the guy who got us to go a hard time, it was pretty boring for the first 50 min. and then apparently an employee must have come to the door, gotten cold feet about actually opening it, and then retreated. Everyone must have seen him, and immediately the crowd frenzied. There was a bottleneck at the doors about 1/5 the size of the crowd, so there was pressure on those up front from all angles. We had binoculars and saw alot of very aggressive and some borderline violent behavior prior to the doors opening. When the doors were finally opened, it was an awful thing to watch. We went to watch because we thought it would be something like that, but it was so much worse than I had imagined. I remeber hoping that there were no children in the crowd.
We left and went to breakfast feeling pretty bad, and even worse when on the drive home when we heard that several people were injured in the vitual melee.

It's a good point that Kassandra makes, this kind of thing is completely foreseeable. It does literally happen every year.
It makes no sense to not have some sort of line system in place the night before a big sale like that. It wouldn't be hard for a huge walmart or target type chain to have their entire security staff on for one night to help w/ some sort of first come first serve line sytem.

Although it's the consumers themselves that baffle me the most, to see people lose their sh*t over a fairly cheap dvd player or plasma screen, it's very forbodeing behavior. I really hope to avoid that kind of crowd if things ever do go sideways.

They call it "black friday" because it's the day that all the stores are supposed to get out of the red and back in the black, but the phrase is beginning to seem alot darker every year.
raulduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
Rareheart
Avalon Senior Member

This is one horrible example of the pitfalls of service-to-self.
Rareheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
Koyaanisqatsi
Avalon Senior Member

it's good not to focus too much on the media reports depicting humanity as a pack of wild animals. while i am not saying that this did not happen i do believe in my heart that somewhere in this world at the exact moment that this travesty occurred that something very beautiful and caring also occurred. naturally this act of kindness is not likely to make msm.... but i believe it exists.
Koyaanisqatsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
She-Ra
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
it's good not to focus too much on the media reports depicting humanity as a pack of wild animals. while i am not saying that this did not happen i do believe in my heart that somewhere in this world at the exact moment that this travesty occurred that something very beautiful and caring also occurred. naturally this act of kindness is not likely to make msm.... but i believe it exists.
I don't disagree with that and no one has said that positive things aren't happening just because we are looking at this event. A news item was posted and people are replying to it, just like the do to other news items, whether they be about positive or negative things or both. It doesn't mean we can't look at or concentrate on more than one thing and personally, I think it's better than ignoring it and not learning or trying to deal with such things. I personally don't stand aside and watch c.r.a.p happen if I can help it or try (obviously within extents) or let other people do that for me whilst having the benefit of talking about it later, but I can hope for the best as well even at the same time .

Btw - the last bit isn't targeted at what you said raulduke, in that situation, getting yourself killed before you can help isn't helpful.

Last edited by She-Ra; 11-29-2008 at 04:19 PM.
She-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Pure greed at work
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
LiquidSwordz
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
That is just insane.

I don't want to imagine what will happen when the important stuff (food, drink) is running out....when people are hungry... shocking!!!

Well said my friend, it is these idiots that will go first, and thrown into the FEMA camps. Martial law will only effect the idiots who act, and lash out. If we are to survive for the next coming years, we will all have to be extremely smart. We will all have to adapt quickly to new situations etc.

In order to predict the future, we must look at the past. Take Hurricane Katrina for example. The people with flooded homes, no apartments, were all located into ONE location, which was the Superdome. In your city, it might be a FEMA camp or local shelter. Of coarse there will be no flooding like hurricane Katrina, but there is a high possibility that all your water, electricity will be cut off from your home. So where would the common, unprepared person go, if he had no electricity or water? Well, the only choice is to go to a shelter, or FEMA camp, all guarded/controlled by national guard and military soldiers.

Option two is for the prepared individual, that stays/guards his home, and defends his home. As we have seen from Hurricane Katrina, your not even safe from this! In Hurricane Katrina, military soldiers were doing house to house searches, and when they found people in their homes, the first thing they did was handcuff them, and confiscate ALL weapons. I have no idea what these soldiers would do, if they found a huge storage of your food supplies.

Last edited by LiquidSwordz; 11-29-2008 at 08:10 PM.
LiquidSwordz is offline   Reply With Quote