Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 01-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
NorthernSanctuary
Avalon Senior Member

Default Evidence of earth tilting

Does this mean that there will not be a pole shift?

"
"The tilting of the earth changes everything"

Submitted by Ian Mauro on Wed, 11/25/2009

Arguably, the most bizarre, fascinating and perhaps groundbreaking of all observations we've heard from Inuit is that they believe our world has tilted on its axis and this contributes to climate change. When Zacharias and I first heard this, we thought it was very strange, yet elders in all the communities we've worked in - Pangnirtung, Iqaluit, Resolute Bay and Igloolik - all believe this phenomenon to be true. In today's blog, we post a video from Igloolik elder Japiti Palluq talking about the impacts of a tilted earth, and unpack the traditional knowledge and science on this issue.

It's been very interesting to see elders and hunters across Nunavut make the same observation about the world having shifted on its axis. In most cases, research participants were not prompted on the issue, yet they began talking about it. Just today, we heard from another interviewee that "the earth has tilted", and Zach looked and me and jokingly said "did you tell him?". As a trained scientist, I know that a key test for "truth" is the repeated replicability of a research finding, independent of who is doing the test. Hearing Inuit across Nunavut make the same observation, using their traditional ecological knowledge, seems to pass this credo for scientific truth. So what data are elders collecting and analyzing to draw this conclusion?

Elders across Nunavut have noticed that the sun and stars have changed their position in the sky. The sun is now rising higher and staying longer than it used to. Importantly, in the far north, you must remember that the sun goes below the horizon for a large part of the year, and therefore Inuit are very familiar with its celestial pattern. Indeed, Inuit we're talking with are telling us stories about how in the old days, during the dark months, they would travel the land by dog team using stars as their navigational tools. So, when Inuit talk about the sun and stars, they do so with an intimate knowledge of these systems.

We've heard that the earth has tilted in the direction of the sun. Elders explain that this is why the sun is higher in the sky and there is increased and more direct heat entering the Arctic ecosystem. As Japiti explains, this has subsequently altered migratory routes of animals, warmed the ocean water, and thinned the ice cover. While this almost sounds like a fringe theory to obfuscate that fossil fuel use increases greenhouse gases, it is actually something has just recently been acknowledged by scientists.

When we began this project, I scanned the academic literature to see if there was any scientific evidence to support Inuit claims that the "earth has tilted" and thus causing climate change, but nothing existed. Now that we're in Igloolik, editing the film, and hearing this observation repeatedly, I hit the literature again. And, to my surprise and delight, two research studies have recently been published that relate to the Inuit knowledge we are collecting with video.

Drysdale et al (2009) published a study in the prestigious journal Science this past August that argues the Late Pleistocene (approximately 141,000 years ago) glacial period came to an end because of changes to the obliquity, or tilt, of the earth. Like Inuit, the study states that this is a possible climate change hypothesis "because of the relatively large and persistent increases in summer energy reaching the high latitudes of both hemispheres during times of maximum Earth tilt". Although Drysdale et al (2009) are discussing past climate change, their findings seem to support present claims by Inuit that a tilting earth may warm climate. In another study, published this past September in Geophysical Research Letters, Landerer et al (2009) indicate that the warming of oceans, exacerbated by melting glaciers that flow into them, is causing "horizontal mass redistribution" of the world's seas. Essentially, the weight and position of the world's oceans have shifted, and this has literally caused the earth to shift its position on its axis! In both the Drysdale (2009) and Landerer (2009) studies, the authors argue that these phenomena have not been previously reported, and that their findings offer new insights into how scientists and society should think about climate
change and its causes and associated impacts.

Indeed, Inuit observations seem tied to the technical science of long-term climate change, specifically the theory of the Milankovitch Cycles, which seem to predict natural planetary warming and cooling periods based on the position of the earth and its axis in relationship to the sun. See Wikipedia for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles

In many ways, Inuit elders speak with the knowledge of astrophysicists and environmental scientists all in one, and so I'm just trying to catch up. I find it fascinating that for many years, elders and hunters living on the land have been observing and talking about environmental change that is now only being published by scholars working at the cutting edge of science. Indeed, Inuit are climate change experts, and their knowledge complements and in some ways surpasses scientific understanding on this topic. We certainly hope that our work shows how these two "ways of knowing" can work together to better understand climate change, arguably the paramount issue of our time.

References:

Drysdale (2009). Evidence of obliquity forcing of glacial termination II. Science, 325, 1527-1528.

Landerer et al. (2009). Long-term polar motion excited by ocean thermal expansion. Geophysical Research Letters, 36, 1-5.
"
Video at:
http://www.isuma.tv/hi/en/inuit-know...ged-everything
NorthernSanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Evidence of earth tilting

very, very interesting.....so maybe it is a gradual pole shift...
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
NorthernSanctuary
Avalon Senior Member

Burgundia, Yes, that's what I meant too... no catastrophic pole shift.
NorthernSanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Céline
Avalon Senior Member

Now wouldnt that be nice

thank you for posting this NS
Céline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
viking
Avalon Senior Member

Facinating topic...All I know is it's bloody cold here in UK?!!

Read this a few weeks back!!

"Earth's north magnetic pole is racing toward Russia at almost 40 miles (64 kilometers) a year due to magnetic changes in the planet's core, new research says.

The core is too deep for scientists to directly detect its magnetic field. But researchers can infer the field's movements by tracking how Earth's magnetic field has been changing at the surface and in space."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...arth-core.html

viking
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

When we began meditations, months ago, inspired by Astralwalker's thread...I was meditating till the 5th or 6th session...and then i "received" a message from Gaia. i posted it on the Nexus thread. The message was that Gaia was not going to harm us......
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

we have been watching this, for quite awhile

it is almost as if,
there are 3 points,
and, 1 true north

and, it alters/changes/and, shifts
between these 3 points,
there is absolutely NO doubt,
the sun rise/and, sun set, iS NOT what it once was
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
viking
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE eXchanger View Post
we have been watching this, for quite awhile

it is almost as if,
there are 3 points,
and, 1 true north

and, it alters/changes/and, shifts
between these 3 points,
there is absolutely NO doubt,
the sun rise/and, sun set, iS NOT what it once was
Hi eXchanger ...where are the 3 points?? What position?

viking
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
GaiaLove
Avalon Administrator

Exclamation Re: Evidence of earth tilting

Inuit Knowledge & Climate Change' is a new film and internet research
project by acclaimed Inuit filmmaker Zacharias Kunuk and environmental
researcher Dr. Ian Mauro. A 15-minute extract from the upcoming
feature film will be presented at COP-15 - the international climate
change negotiations being held in Copenhagen - during the UN University
Indigenous Voices on Climate Change Film Festival

GaiaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

as soon as we hit the spring
~ we are going to try to figure out
how to measure this
~ from known variables, since we have lived in the same
place for well over 50 years

even the brilliance of the sun/and, moon is different

the rise of both, are slightly different

it sure would be nice, for canada, to become semi-tropical
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
Facinating topic...All I know is it's bloody cold here in UK?!!

Read this a few weeks back!!

"Earth's north magnetic pole is racing toward Russia at almost 40 miles (64 kilometers) a year due to magnetic changes in the planet's core, new research says.

The core is too deep for scientists to directly detect its magnetic field. But researchers can infer the field's movements by tracking how Earth's magnetic field has been changing at the surface and in space."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...arth-core.html

viking
Hi Viking, it is cold in the UK because the gulf stream has been erratic this year. I have been following this all winter. It appears to be realted to the weakening of the magnetosfera and the increassing galactic winds plus now solar winds

There was a man in youtube that said the same after the Sumatra tsunami in 2004, he said that the Earth had tilted but his video was removed promptly

It was about 5 degrees I think but not sure now

Love
PS as far as I understand the poles allways wander it is not new
I also think that the cooling is related to the wobble
Stardustaquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
sammytray
Avalon Senior Member

lol.... Comet 'NEAT' will certainly do MORE than shift the poles.
pole shift is a drop in the bucket
I do wish for a smooth transition in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSanctuary View Post
Does this mean that there will not be a pole shift?

"
"The tilting of the earth changes everything"

Submitted by Ian Mauro on Wed, 11/25/2009

Last edited by Jonah; 02-24-2010 at 07:22 PM.
sammytray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Guys...Does this have to do with the "smiling" moon we've observed in the northern hemisphere over the last month????
Stargazer1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer1965 View Post
Guys...Does this have to do with the "smiling" moon we've observed in the northern hemisphere over the last month????
Hello Stargazer . Yes, it is another sign of the same phenomena. Here in southeast Quebec, we have very mild time, which is totally anormal for this time of the year. It looks like spring coming too soon. We used to cross the temiscouata lake with cars from january to mars, sometimes up to april. But this winter, it stayed open for a week only, which never happened before according to my 63 years old father. If this winter is colder to Europe and we have indeed tilt, then it makes sens that here in Quebec the temperature is warmer.

My inner feelings tells me we have nothing to worry about nature, if we see nature as comforting and caring. One might have to worry about nature, if one sees it as a threat.

Sometimes I wonder if it has something to do with this: http://www.viewzone.com/milkyway.html

Namaste, Steven

Last edited by Steven; 02-24-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #15
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardustaquarion View Post
PS as far as I understand the poles allways wander it is not new
I also think that the cooling is related to the wobble

Yea they do. You can go to sleep on the pole and wake up miles from it
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #16
pyrangello
Avalon Senior Member

My intuitive side tells me it is going to be gradually tilting, but also what comes with that is pressure build up of the tectonic plates, so yes at it may be a progessive tilt there may be a few snap , crackle , and pops along the way.

I noticed the stars a few months back, some constellations look so much closer to us at night. And they don't look in the right spots either like looking at the moon at 10 a.m. in the morning high in the sky, yes indeed it is changing and we are in the shift today and tommorrow marching towards 2012-13 with it peaking and then going to sleep slowly as it ramped up.
pyrangello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Would a tilt affect the time of the day? Each day seems to pass by faster than the last and 2 weeks feels more like 2 days.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
toothfairy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Janitor View Post
Would a tilt affect the time of the day? Each day seems to pass by faster than the last and 2 weeks feels more like 2 days.
Greetings,

If a tilt has occurred, and my guess is that is has or is occurring - then we will be in for colder winters and hotter summers in both hemispheres - while the equator would remain similar to now. It wouldn't effect the length of day - that would be effected by the earths rotation speed. A couple of clues to a possible tilt is that the sunset/ sunrise positions may change a little but the arc across the sky would be higher. Also the crescent of the moon does seem to have slipped lower.

Interesting times.

Toothfairy.
toothfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #19
Old Snake
Avalon Senior Member

Ok friends,

Have a look at this url http://hpiers.obspm.fr./
that is how the earth axis is moving at the moment,
also the influence on daylight time,
the "bulge" seen under the second o of the word coordinates,is the effect
of the 7.2 quake in Haiti.
Than to know that last year the Chandler wobble as this is called,
made a near perfect circle!

Old Snake
Old Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #20
wfranzen
Avalon Senior Member

True or False -- ?

-- If by some miracle, the Earth's axis has actually shifted, everyone with a GOTO telescope and their brother would know it because their telescopes would no longer track the stars correctly.
wfranzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #21
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Hello Stargazer . Yes, it is another sign of the same phenomena. Here in southeast Quebec, we have very mild time, which is totally anormal for this time of the year. It looks like spring coming too soon. We used to cross the temiscouata lake with cars from january to mars, sometimes up to april. But this winter, it stayed open for a week only, which never happened before according to my 63 years old father. If this winter is colder to Europe and we have indeed tilt, then it makes sens that here in Quebec the temperature is warmer.

My inner feelings tells me we have nothing to worry about nature, if we see nature as comforting and caring. One might have to worry about nature, if one sees it as a threat.

Sometimes I wonder if it has something to do with this: http://www.viewzone.com/milkyway.html

Namaste, Steven
We have your weather brother...Been snowing for a month...Not usual for here...We might have a spot of snow in "normal" years
Stargazer1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #22
wfranzen
Avalon Senior Member

Ian Mauro, whose work was repeatedly quoted above, has an update at his website.

http://www.isuma.tv/hi/en/inuit-know...-tilting-earth

The visual changes in the placement of the sun in the arctic are real and can apparently be dramatic in some cases. This includes where exactly the Sun first peeks over the horizon after its disappearamce in Winter. Mauro’s thinking is that apparent changes in the position of the Sun and stars is due to a change in atmospheric refraction. In other words, this is a purely optical phenomenon whose ultimate cause is global warming.

You should realize that if you live in regions closer to the equator, then when you see the sun disappear at the end of a sunset, the Sun is already geometrically about 5 degrees below the horizon. The amount of this displacement is temperature and (pressure) sensitive. In the arctic, the Sun is just barely grazing the horizon toward the end of winter, and changes in temperature and uneven terrain could cause a big difference in the location (and timing) of its first appearance.

On another note, if you think that global warming is a hoax, just watch this video.

http://www.isuma.tv/hi/en/ian-mauro/...-video-trailer

Last edited by wfranzen; 03-11-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Correction; simplification
wfranzen is offline   Reply With Quote