Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Default How to shield your electronics.

Hi all. I am technician in electronic since several years. I know many question arose about how to prevent Electro-magnetic wave to disrupt your electronics tools.

First of, I am not saying this is the only solution, but it will work on many types of EMP, coming from the sun or other sources, except military weapons.

Also, this solution is simple and cost almost nothing. That is why I'm putting it here. I work for a large electrical company and in 1989, we had a major shut down because of unusual Electromagnetic Waves from the sun that hits the Electric Network and most protections opened. But it also damaged many DC components in the province. We receive constantly EMW from the sun and earth act like a filter, that's the reason for the heat. So we need it to live, but sometimes, a wave of large magnitude hit some spot on earth and may cause damage. That's what Henry Deacon was predicting for sometimes in 2009.

Second, an electromagnetic pulse has a frequency, or many frequencies, it is called "noise". When the amplitude or strength of the wave is too high for your electronic system, it can damage components in a physical phenomena called induction. The wave has to be "reflected".

To absorb/reflect it, you need to build an "metal shielding" surrounding your electronics and this "metal shielding".

You can make a shielded box or Faraday cage to store your electronics toys when you don't use them.

Here is an explanation: http://standeyo.com/News_Files/NBC/EMP.protection.html

Everyone who has questions, answers, or other information are very welcome to contribute.

I hope it helped, Namaste, Steven

Last edited by Steven; 10-30-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:02 AM   #2
Peace2all
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: How to shield your electronics.

Hi thanks for the tips, would multiply FOIL wrapped around a box work? At a garage sale last week I picked up a large 6 foot roll of foil with backing I thought of maybe using this? Also do you know would this effect your car engine? Would you only have to protect the battery or the whole engine? Would CB Antennas work to catch the signal? Sorry for all the questions?
Peace2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Tez
Retired Avalon Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace2all View Post
Hi thanks for the tips, would multiply FOIL wrapped around a box work? At a garage sale last week I picked up a large 6 foot roll of foil with backing I thought of maybe using this? Also do you know would this effect your car engine? Would you only have to protect the battery or the whole engine? Would CB Antennas work to catch the signal? Sorry for all the questions?

I was of the understanding that it is the ECM or ECS - Electronic Control Module/System electronics that will be effected in modern cars, not the battery.
That is one reason why the older cars, or the older diesel vehicles would be better suited as they would not have the ECM - electronics installed.

Tez
Tez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Johnno

Thumbs up Re: How to shield your electronics.

Quote:
I was of the understanding that it is the ECM or ECS - Electronic Control Module/System electronics that will be effected in modern cars, not the battery.
That is one reason why the older cars, or the older diesel vehicles would be better suited as they would not have the ECM - electronics installed.
Spot on Tez.
Also, if the pulse is strong enough, to which it probably will be, it could damage alternators and starter motors.
Take care.
Best regards,
John
Johnno
Old 10-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
Spot on Tez.
Also, if the pulse is strong enough, to which it probably will be, it could damage alternators and starter motors.
Johnno

If this was the case then would it not also damage windturbines?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Thats all the solar panels buggered then
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:28 AM   #7
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Hello Peace. I'm glad you are interested. Here some clarification.

Yes, multiple foil will work. The important is having a good electric conductor, aluminum is one, like silver, copper, iron, steal.

Don't bother about car engine, it's an explosion (gasoline) motor and it won't be affected. The batteries will take it. Their capacity and power (Amp/hour) will support it. But the electronics of your car, sensors, processors, memories, etc... might not like it. Recent cars, 2000+ years, have many of them from electronic starters to flow fuel control. But I wouldn't worry about it because the frame and structure of your car will act as an "metal shielding" and will reflect most of the wave.

Yes, CB antenna will do.

What is mostly susceptible to EMP is electronic component, which work on Direct Current low Voltage, 5 VDC to 24 VDC, and haven't a high capacity to support high frequencies and high magnitude. Any devices working on 120 Alternative (50/60Hz) Current Voltage, 120 VAC and higher, will absorb the impact even more if it isn't running and unplugged.

The noise is an electromagnetic wave of high frequencies, device running under alternative voltage/current are made to work with frequencies, up to a certain limit in frequencies/amplitude. But electronic component, like processors, memories, etc... are not made to deal with high frequencies and especially if the signal (noise) is strong. They can heat and burn from inside.

Only these need to be shielded in my humble opinion.

I hope it clarifies it.

Namaste, Steven

Last edited by Steven; 10-30-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:29 AM   #8
Tez
Retired Avalon Member

Smile Re: How to shield your electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Hello Peace. I'm glad you are interested. Here some clarification.

...................If you worried about your body, especially your brain since it's an electro-magnetic device, well shield it, lol. I mean you can put antennas on ..................

Namaste, Steven
First mental picture was everyone with Alfoil/Tinfoil hats like in the movie "Signs"..............

But, some really great advice in these posts, Thanks heaps all,
Tez

Last edited by Tez; 10-16-2008 at 04:33 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:02 AM   #9
davefla73
Avalon Senior Member

here is a site that is awsome for survival, it is the best iv found on EMP protection. I metal shed grounded looks like you could store a lot in there and would be safe. look for yourself
http://www.endtimesreport.com/EMP.html
davefla73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:07 AM   #10
Squeptikal
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Steven. Thank you for bringing this up. There are some important ideas to consider. First, anything pysically connected to the power grid i.e. the wall outlet is going to get zapped by an intentional EMP device within the correct proximity. Literally within 5 miles from the epicenter of a military type EMP device will be completely fried with no hope of repair.

Even store-bought EMF supressors & spike arrestors won't do. You need to have a standalone power supply buried in the ground and not connected to anything above ground to accomplish this level of protection against military devices. In addition, an air-burst nuclear device will also create enough of a pulse to destroy all grid connected equipment AFAIK.

You can shield you automobile somewhat and this requires grounding straps connected every 30 inches along the edge of the hood for instance. I recently bought an old police car which has this type of grounding. My CB radio works very well partiall because of this electronic hardening. A direct strike within the saturation zone and no electronic anything will work afterwards. It's cave-man time!

Any low voltage circuit is at risk from even greater distances than the 5 miles. Hopefully, a combination of being further than 5 miles and having some offline equipment stored below ground will probably survive. However, there won't be any radio or T.V. stations, Internet (except possibly FiOS), or electricity in the wall outlet immediately following an tactical EMP strike.

Yes, aluminum foil helps prevent induction and aluminum also has diamagnetic properties which not only shields against magnetic induction but also electrostatic discharges. I have read some interesting things about Tesla's machines creating scalar waves that completly render shielding useless. But even Tesla's machines don't penetrate much more than 6 feet of earth unless very close to the target.

This is why the military geniuses built over 100 Deep Underground Military Bases (DUMB's), some of which are rumored to be thousands of feet under rock & soil. The facilities are completely isolated from the surface power grid and are even hardened against a direct nuclear assault.

A Faraday Cage will shield from radio frequencies and weather-induced spikes however an EMP creates a square wave orders upon orders of magnitude greater than a lightning strike even through water.

There's the old saying "there's no replacement for displacement" and it fits here as well. Displace a lot of soil, leave survival equipment (such as wind-up recievers, HAM, CB, GMRS & FMRS radios) disconnected from antennas with the antenna leads grounded and without batteries and you might be the only kid on the block with a working device after the ping. I have a speaker connected to several turns of wire connected across the terminals which will make a loud SNAP sound in the event of a strike.

Thank you for your good advice and for creating this thread.

Best wishes,

SqUePtIkAl
Squeptikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #11
Swanny
I dont need a label !

What about making a lead box to shield stuff?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #12
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you Squeptikal for all this very welcome information. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
What about making a lead box to shield stuff?
Absolutely! Lead is very efficient in manufacturing noise reduction material, radiation shielding and x-ray shielding. If you can afford it and be cautious, lead can be poisonous.

Namaste, Steven
Old 10-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #13
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:
Thank you Squeptikal for all this very welcome information. I really appreciate it.

Absolutely! Lead is very efficient in manufacturing noise reduction material, radiation shielding and x-ray shielding. If you can afford it and be cautious, lead can be poisonous.

Namaste, Steven
I checked out the price of lead today, a roll of code blue is now at £80 and thats trade.
I did have some scrap lead a while back but took it to the scrap yard.
Oh well
Old 10-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #14
Swanny
I dont need a label !

I've been thinking about this, in the UK the electricity circuit in the house has a earth.
All our plugs are 3 pin and most appliances have a earth.
I know it's the same in Oz but not sure about other countrys.
Maybe because we are earthed already the EMP (if they ever did use one) mite not work so well???
Old 10-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #15
IRKCOD
Avalon Senior Member

Being a complete nerd when it comes to electronics -

Is it possible to make a Faraday Cage, to protect your electronics, out of 'chicken wire / netting' and earthing it?

Would you need to cover it with Aluminum (cooking ) foil ?
IRKCOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
Peace2all
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Steven, Thanks for all the advice, it was very helpful. Seems silly to be considering protecting laptop when internet will most likely go down. But have to have music!!
Thanks Skeptikal with all your input it was good to see there are a few preventions we can try. The link that davefla73 posted was excellent and I am printing it now. Hi Tez, funny finding you here. Swanny what about lead x-ray suits doctors use?
In Australia lots of homes also have a steel Colorbond roof, timber floors, can anyone confirm the if our electricity is grounded?

WHAT THE??? As I am writing this reply, I mean RIGHT NOW. My son calls saying the whole of Melbourne City, lights, power, streets, shops everything went totally off.... Just then hubby and kids return from city... We live in hills, I said in greeting "Lucky your back the whole city is in blackout" When youngest replied - Yeah I just saw big blue flash in sky!
Peace2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #17
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Yea I want to keep some electrics alive like my ipod etc just to stop me from getting too bored if everything goes down, and I must have music

Peace2all you definately have a earthed electric supply in your home, you can tell because some of your plugs have 3 pins.
I have lived in Oz in the past

Let us know about the blue flash in the sky
Old 10-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #18
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRKCOD View Post
Being a complete nerd when it comes to electronics -

Is it possible to make a Faraday Cage, to protect your electronics, out of 'chicken wire / netting' and earthing it?

Would you need to cover it with Aluminum (cooking ) foil ?
Yes, it will make a very good protection, especially if you also cover it with aluminum foil.

Namaste, Steven

Last edited by Steven; 10-30-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #19
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
I've been thinking about this, in the UK the electricity circuit in the house has a earth.
All our plugs are 3 pin and most appliances have a earth.
I know it's the same in Oz but not sure about other countrys.
Maybe because we are earthed already the EMP (if they ever did use one) mite not work so well???
Yes, many houses around the planet has this ground network linking all electrical devices to the ground. It protects the user from electrical shock when you touch the casing, structure. But you need to make a conductivity test with a ohmmeter to really be sure that your electrical outlet is linked to earth ground. I'm saying this because many times, it is not. But remember you need a licensed electrician to work in the electrical network of your house.

Namaste, Steven

Last edited by Steven; 10-30-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #20
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
...WHAT THE??? As I am writing this reply, I mean RIGHT NOW. My son calls saying the whole of Melbourne City, lights, power, streets, shops everything went totally off.... Just then hubby and kids return from city... We live in hills, I said in greeting "Lucky your back the whole city is in blackout" When youngest replied - Yeah I just saw big blue flash in sky!
Hehe, Looks like a transformer went rocket. If I may add this little note about your power source.

Shielding and grounding your devices with metal box, foil, etc... will protect your devices from outside EMP. But if you want to protect also your power source coming out from the outlet, and if you can afford it, you can buy a power source filter. It will filter all sort of "noise" coming from inside your electrical power to make sure you have a perfect sinusoidal wave (alternative 120V 50/60Hz).

Look for this type of filter for your electrical source: http://www.directindustry.com/prod/l...95-214549.html there expensive, but you may find some more cheaper. Of course, you need a technician to install these.

Namaste, Steven

Last edited by Steven; 10-30-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #21
Swamisalami
Banned

[QUOTE=Squeptikal;52773
There's the old saying "there's no replacement for displacement" and it fits here as well. Displace a lot of soil, leave survival equipment (such as wind-up recievers, HAM, CB, GMRS & FMRS radios) disconnected from antennas with the antenna leads grounded and without batteries and you might be the only kid on the block with a working device after the ping. I have a speaker connected to several turns of wire connected across the terminals which will make a loud SNAP sound in the event of a strike.
[/QUOTE]

Very interesting.........Could you provide drawings of this one, so I can build one myself??
Swamisalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #22
Swamisalami
Banned

Quote:
But you need to make a conductivity test with a ohmmeter to really be sure that your electrical outlet is linked to earth ground.

Namaste, Steven
Can you explain how this is done and what kind of gear is needed???
Swamisalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:47 PM   #23
Tez
Retired Avalon Member

Question Re: How to shield your electronics.

From memory, i think the Negative / Black is also linked or coupled to ground here in Oz at the meter box, maybe if there are any Electricians reading this they can confirm that or explain.

Tez

Last edited by Tez; 10-18-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #24
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamisalami View Post
Can you explain how this is done and what kind of gear is needed???
You need a multimeter, which has a voltmeter, ampmeter and ohmmeter. The ohmmeter will measure the resistance of a given conductor. If your resistance is near 0 ohm, then you are sure you have a continuity.

A multimeter isn't expensive here are some for home: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482139000P

Put the multimeter in ohmmeter position. You connect one test lead to a ground outlet (the round socket of the three on any outlet) and you connect the other lead test to your earth ground (which is the incoming water pipe in most houses). Measure near 0 ohm for a continuity. If what you measure has a high ohm value, like 10Mohms, then you are sure your ground outlet isn't really grounded.

Hello Tez. I'm from Canada and in Direct Current application, black wire are usually linked to reference point or ground. BUT NOT IN AC. In AC, it's the green wire or green/yellow, the white wire being the common return of the AC, not linked to the ground. The black wire is the "live" wire, don't ground it at any cost before measuring it with a voltmeter first. Of course, there are different color coding then North American, but be really sure before, an electrician advice is always the best to do.

Namaste, Steven

Last edited by Steven; 10-21-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:10 AM   #25
IRKCOD
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Yes, it will make a very good protection, especially if you also cover it with aluminum foil. As long as it is physically grounded. Use #14 wire.

Namaste, Steven

Thanks Steven

Your advice is much appreciate
IRKCOD is offline   Reply With Quote