Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 07-05-2009, 03:39 AM   #1
sleepingnomore

Default What about your pets?

Has anyone given any thought to the preparations for the needs of your pets in worst case scenario situations? How much pet food can you store? What about natural remedies for things like worms and earmites? What happens if vetrinarians are no longer available in your area and your pets aren't neutured yet, what will you be able to do to prevent an overpopulation of pets in your area?

These questions have been on my mind as I've seen the effects of large packs of wild dogs roaming large cities in a third world country and the danger they can cause and the dangers they face.

Any ideas for these situations would be appreciated here.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Tramik
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: What about your pets?

If people are starving I think the last concern will be pets, unfortunately. I think most would sooner eat a pet than become a cannibal or enter a concentration camp.
Tramik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
TruthWillSetUFree
Avalon Senior Member

We visit Acupulco every year and they have wild dogs in packs roaming the city. I have passed by them they are skinny undernourished and not threatening at all.

Of course I don't know how dogs will behave if they have been domesticated, but in my heart I don't think they would attack man unless they had rabies or something like that.

I have a sweet Jack Russell, I always have an extra bag of dog food but I plan on getting a bigger bag next time. If I run out she likes people food better anyway and I will gladly share what I have with her!

The thing is with stored food what if we have to leave our home, what are we going to lug a years worth of food?
I have some canned goods, pastas, rice, hemp, dried fruit and beans that I vacuum packed but if we have to bug out its all for nothing.

I guess we can only plan so far and the rest is up to God and what we are intuitively guided to do to fulfill our unique missions here.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Truth
TruthWillSetUFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Truth you should think about hiding food out in the woods or somewhere.
Dig a hole and bury it somewhere just in case you have to leave home and cant go back
I haven't done that yet but will do when it starts.

Water filters, purifying tabs, food etc
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Avalon Senior Member

i am also going to prepare from this week. food stocks ect ect. need a bug out bag. well a 100 ltr bergen i have wild cats so ill let em be.. we have a dog and as much as i like her she is staying out if i have to go.. i need to get 6 months of food in place to self quarantine.. its gonna be tough to avoid the vaccine. once people start bleeding from orrifices most people will sjit it and take the shot.. poor buggers
pineal-pilot-in merkabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

I'd just keep the carrier and some food nearby. If I need to leave my apt to go to a safe place, My cat's coming with me. I have a moral obligation to provide for his safety and well-being.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
Northern Boy
Avalon Senior Member

Currently have a 3 month supply of dog food keep it in a plastic trash container in a reseal-able bag lots of water and plenty of food I`m not going any where 1700 feet above sea level and am 5 mins to the country from my door
Northern Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

I think preparations for pets needs to be very well thought out. Dry food and especially water, but when it really comes down to it, one must be prepared to put them down humanely. Many animals may go crazy with fear and I dont care how quiet or civilized they are, many will be dangerous to have around in close proximity to humans. Many animals have the instinct to run from danger and if you have them shut in they will be extremely stressed.

Carmen

Carmen
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:23 AM   #9
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

In that case, I would rather my cat run free than put him down. He's neutered and would likely start hunting birds. He's still a bit feral.

Regardless, I will not live in fear because that will only encourage them.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
shred
Avalon Senior Member

I'd have to agree with Humble, I would not put my dog or cat down. They have the same right to life as we do. All life is sacred. If I had to bug out..They would go with me if possible, just like any other member of my family would

Also , someone mentioned that if there were packs of dogs running around, they wouldn't be afraid of them, better think twice about that...a pack of starving dogs especially larger dogs, a single person without weapon of some sort wouldn't stand a chance.

Love & Peace
Shred
shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred View Post
I'd have to agree with Humble, I would not put my dog or cat down. They have the same right to life as we do. All life is sacred. If I had to bug out..They would go with me if possible, just like any other member of my family would

Love & Peace
Shred
ditto!
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:40 AM   #12
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramik View Post
If people are starving I think the last concern will be pets, unfortunately. I think most would sooner eat a pet than become a cannibal or enter a concentration camp.

Not hardly...My pets are part of the family...and I have a responsibility to them..I certainly would not eat them...and I think I'm resoursful enough to figure a way to feed them as well as my family.
BROOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:21 AM   #13
unlimited mind
Avalon Senior Member

storing pet food has been on my mind for a while now. it takes up a lot of space. today my roommate made a bunch of beef jerky, and i had a wild idea that it would be a good way to store pet food, plus it is very filling. something we can both eat too.

here is a link on how to make cat food

and pet food in general http://www.make-stuff.com/cooking/petfood.html
unlimited mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:34 AM   #14
TtC
Avalon Senior Member

I would suggest reading this book:

Dare to Prepare by Holly Deyo http://standeyo.com/Our_Books/DTP.html

It has a section on pets as well.
TtC is offline   Reply With Quote