Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 07:36 AM   #26
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Seeking to create, or join a sustainable a community

My idea is that eventually I will join a sustainable community. I've done some visiting communities and frankly I'm not impressed. I think that as the economic collapse solidifies, there will be many communities that appear from nowhere. My strategy is to learn as many sustainable skills as I can right now and do as much research as possible so that when the time comes I will be in a position to act and possibly even lead in some areas.

--sjkted
sjkted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #27
Carrie1971
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Seeking self-sustained, off-the-grid living environment or radiant community

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Age Messiah View Post
It's not the right time for me say anything definitive about this, but there are signs that this area that I live is somehow special. The second largest fresh water aquifer in the world is here, tons of lakes, immaculate nature, etc.

http://www.lookyourheartinthemirror....ur-dalene.html

I envision a community of easy portable homes, something like this cabin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r66CdHYbrYo
To the north of Coeur d` Alene on 95 go on past the great "city" of Sandpoint and you find yet more wonder and a much smaller town. With other small towns all around. The County is Boundry the boarder of Canada to the north, East is Montana, if you fly over the mountains to the west is Washington.
This little area has a very large group of people who are all walking in thier won faith path. Some go to church, others have woke up and in fact each week more and more groups come together to trade ideas and share what can we each do.

This is a place that feels safe to me. There are many lower areas where I would not build or buy a house. Yet there are many places yet to build with many who live "off the grid".

Each Sat. you will find a large and growing group of local growers who sell fresh veggies and fruits. There are more then a few U-Pick gardens and many farmers who are known for their produce. Honey, jams, jellies. Whole food stores. About anything a person could want to buy can be found here.

For those who are not yet ready to give up Wal*Mart, Pizza hut and the whole fast food chain flavor you can find them all in Sandpoint just a half hour away by car.

With that said also know that we have more police here per person then any other place I have ever heard of. Fed. fish and game, State fish and game, U.S. Boarder Patrol, the U.S. Forest Service police to make sure no one is "living" in the National owned woods which take up much of the area. It is wonderful here right now it is winter, very cold. Snowing right now.
Carrie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #28
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Seeking self-sustained, off-the-grid living environment or radiant community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie1971 View Post
To the north of Coeur d` Alene on 95 go on past the great "city" of Sandpoint and you find yet more wonder and a much smaller town. With other small towns all around. The County is Boundry the boarder of Canada to the north, East is Montana, if you fly over the mountains to the west is Washington.
This little area has a very large group of people who are all walking in thier won faith path. Some go to church, others have woke up and in fact each week more and more groups come together to trade ideas and share what can we each do.
This is a place that feels safe to me. There are many lower areas where I would not build or buy a house. Yet there are many places yet to build with many who live "off the grid". It is wonderful here right now it is winter, very cold. Snowing right now.
Interesting you suggest that area, I've considered Coeur d'Alene as a destination after New Age Messiah brought it up. So it's nice to hear more about it...definitely will need to trade my 2wd car in for a 4wd, I can see that coming.

Sounds like there are quite a few people up there who are aware and have woke up to the changing world we live in, so I'll have to look into it more...

How's the economy up there? Are there jobs, or has it been hit pretty hard like so many other areas?

Thanks for the input...

Last edited by AscendingStarseed; 12-29-2009 at 08:32 AM.
AscendingStarseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #29
WineHippie
Avalon Senior Member

starseed, i was doing a bit of memory searching and then
research, and remembered/found Findhorn, a place i was
introduced to in the 70's... have you heard of it?
this is the kind of community i would like to be part of....
how about you?
WineHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #30
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineHippie View Post
Findhorn, a place i was
introduced to in the 70's... have you heard of it?
this is the kind of community i would like to be part of....
how about you?
Thanks for sharing! That looks great, seems they are on the right track. I think one of the ways to prevent the rise of Little Hitlers' is not giving any one person too much authority or leadership responsibility. When everyone is given responsibility in a task they specialize in or has a role that they love and excel in, instead of doing something because it is a chore they have to do, it's a much more harmonious living situation for everyone.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #31
Carrie1971
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AscendingStarseed View Post
Interesting you suggest that area, I've considered Coeur d'Alene as a destination after New Age Messiah brought it up. So it's nice to hear more about it...definitely will need to trade my 2wd car in for a 4wd, I can see that coming.

Sounds like there are quite a few people up there who are aware and have woke up to the changing world we live in, so I'll have to look into it more...

How's the economy up there? Are there jobs, or has it been hit pretty hard like so many other areas?

Thanks for the input...
To be honest a front wheel drive with "studded tires" will do unless you are going off road. The state and county keep the public roads open very well.

I think the whole Earth is waking up it is kind of like a wind storm, started off with a light breeze, has had a few gusts and now it is really blowing. Yeah people are waking up.

Those of us who have lived up here for very many years... ( I am 2 more hours of drive time north of Coeur d` Alene ) We all say it is hard to tell when things are bad with the economy as it is always bad here. The logging has been hurt by many factors. It started in 1979 when something called RARE 2 was written into law.

How bad has it been for money? Well of 3 major saw mills "where the logs are taken to be cut into lumber" Only one is still open. That one at a point ran with 3 shifts so there were many men working there. It is now one shift.
The other two Saw Mills that also ran more than one shift and it hurts.

If you have many talents it could be that you may find work. However there is not any living wage work that I know of. Even professional people who have moved to the area have to drive to the south to find a place to work. (Such as a Dr. or Dentist there are more and more people who buy land up here and rent to the south just so they have a safe place to come to on their off time.) NOTE: the exception to finding work is if you are able to land a Government job. Fish and Game, Boarder Patrol, Customs, U.S. Forest Service, or the other employment is working for one of the schools for troubled teens.

I will not paint a rosy picture of living in the northwoods. It is very cold in the winter. When we have wind and it is cold having many layers of clothing on is a must or you will freeze. So if you do plan to live here year around you may want to shop at a used clothing store and buy outfits that have three layers.

Basic long underwear at skin level, with a warm sweat type layer then the outside layer of jeans or pants. Ski pants are even better. Some way to cover your face in addition to hood / hat / scarf, and of course warm foot wear and gloves.

The half past shape of things to come hit the winter weather on the head we have had 3 "thawing times" and it is just now getting back into being a normal winter.

Our growing season is not the best but on a lucky year you may have corn and even get tomatoes. ( this past year was a good one )
Potato, cabbage, carrots do very well here as do many herbals.

The fishing is good and the wildlife is wonderful. ( if you eat meat and like to hunt it is all good on that account. ) Back Packing and cross country or back country skiing is great.
Carrie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #32
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie1971 View Post
To be honest a front wheel drive with "studded tires" will do unless you are going off road. The state and county keep the public roads open very well.

I think the whole Earth is waking up it is kind of like a wind storm, started off with a light breeze, has had a few gusts and now it is really blowing. Yeah people are waking up.

Those of us who have lived up here for very many years... ( I am 2 more hours of drive time north of Coeur d` Alene ) We all say it is hard to tell when things are bad with the economy as it is always bad here. The logging has been hurt by many factors. It started in 1979 when something called RARE 2 was written into law.

How bad has it been for money? Well of 3 major saw mills "where the logs are taken to be cut into lumber" Only one is still open. That one at a point ran with 3 shifts so there were many men working there. It is now one shift.
The other two Saw Mills that also ran more than one shift and it hurts.

If you have many talents it could be that you may find work. However there is not any living wage work that I know of. Even professional people who have moved to the area have to drive to the south to find a place to work. (Such as a Dr. or Dentist there are more and more people who buy land up here and rent to the south just so they have a safe place to come to on their off time.) NOTE: the exception to finding work is if you are able to land a Government job. Fish and Game, Boarder Patrol, Customs, U.S. Forest Service, or the other employment is working for one of the schools for troubled teens.

I will not paint a rosy picture of living in the northwoods. It is very cold in the winter. When we have wind and it is cold having many layers of clothing on is a must or you will freeze. So if you do plan to live here year around you may want to shop at a used clothing store and buy outfits that have three layers.

Basic long underwear at skin level, with a warm sweat type layer then the outside layer of jeans or pants. Ski pants are even better. Some way to cover your face in addition to hood / hat / scarf, and of course warm foot wear and gloves.

The half past shape of things to come hit the winter weather on the head we have had 3 "thawing times" and it is just now getting back into being a normal winter.

Our growing season is not the best but on a lucky year you may have corn and even get tomatoes. ( this past year was a good one )
Potato, cabbage, carrots do very well here as do many herbals.

The fishing is good and the wildlife is wonderful. ( if you eat meat and like to hunt it is all good on that account. ) Back Packing and cross country or back country skiing is great.

Well, three layers of clothing, that did it for me...Hawaii here I come!!

In the last week I've taken a complete 180 and am seriously taking a look at the island of Kauai, you can rent a room for $450-500 and there are several established eco-villages, with quite a few more in the "forming" stages. Aside from absolutely falling in love with the island when I was there in 1991, you can grow year round. The only other place in the US you can do that is in Florida...no thanks.In addition, you can go into the jungles and find food...catch seafood etc.

If I had my choice I'd get as far away from America as possible, but no one wants Americans...we're hated worldwide. Plus when things finally collapse there are few places that will be safe or unaffected by war, economic collapse or mother nature. I figure Hawaii is as good a place as any and it's about as far away as I can get from America without needing a passport...

So right now that's what it's looking like, if I can make sense of it financially and swing the move...I'm there!

Whew...sounds a lot better than coooollllddd winters and it sounds like work will be easier for me to find on the island. I already checked out the jobs and it looks like I won't have a problem finding work.

Thanks for the run-down...definitely helped make up my mind to keep working on Kauai, seems to have all the pieces of the puzzle
Old 01-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #33
M-1
Avalon Senior Member

You had me going there for a while until you make a statement like this....Please do not come back to Oklahoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AscendingStarseed View Post
My parents live in Okla, I spent 15 yrs' there and that's the last place I want to be when SHTF...around a bunch of conservative, bible thumping rednecks ready to shoot anything that moves! Okies are some of the most spiritually unaware people on Gods green Earth, you'd be better off in the four corners. That's what I'm seeking is an area known for a spiritual vibe and a place to reconnect with Earth...
M-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #34
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-1 View Post
Please do not come back to Oklahoma.
I'll be glad to, that's exactly the kind of attitude that keeps me away...you have absolutely no idea the senseless violence, ignorance, hate and downright evil I experienced there...not only when I was a kid...but as an adult as well.

So you'd be better off keeping your judgments to yourself because you have absolutely no idea what your talking about.

Typical okie...
Old 01-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #35
M-1
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you!
M-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #36
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Maybe I should add that not EVERYONE in Oklahoma falls under that category, like anywhere else you will find good, enlightened and aware people hiding out in pockets here and there. I was speaking in generalizations and as a whole.

Trust me, I'm not alone in my feelings...many have left the south for the same reasons I have.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #37
pureheart7
Retired Avalon Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Age Messiah View Post
It's not the right time for me say anything definitive about this, but there are signs that this area that I live is somehow special. The second largest fresh water aquifer in the world is here, tons of lakes, immaculate nature, etc.

http://www.lookyourheartinthemirror....ur-dalene.html

I envision a community of easy portable homes, something like this cabin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r66CdHYbrYo

sounds lovely.
Just thought I would share this website for those looking to explore other areas: http://wwoof.org/

there are many areas to explore.

Blessings~~~
pureheart7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #38
dddanieljjjamesss
Avalon Senior Member

I am looking around the new england area for some people to start doing this with... I know a lot of people and though we are still young and without much finances, we're all envisioning a future where we come together with an organic farm / artistic-spiritual compound. probably 15 or 20 people I could call on if a true plan gets underway.
dddanieljjjamesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #39
pureheart7
Retired Avalon Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddanieljjjamesss View Post
I am looking around the new england area for some people to start doing this with... I know a lot of people and though we are still young and without much finances, we're all envisioning a future where we come together with an organic farm / artistic-spiritual compound. probably 15 or 20 people I could call on if a true plan gets underway.
Hi Daniel~~
I am not too far. Hudson Valley
pureheart7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #40
dddanieljjjamesss
Avalon Senior Member

Sent you a friend Request
dddanieljjjamesss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
communal, community, eco-village, intentional, off-the-grid, radiant community, radiant zone, roommate, safe preparation, sustainability