Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #26
Emman
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Start Stocking Food

One thing I did recently was to make a checklist of emergency items to take in case of having to flee from the home. I'm also in the Pacific NW where it was stated is an earthquake zone, which is true. There is also Mt. Rainier, which is considered the most dangerous volcano in N. America. In the heat of a crisis, having a checklist focuses one's thoughts and allows efficient action to take place.

Here's an example or our checklist.

Survival Checklist:

In the event of an emergency evacuation—to flee, take:

· 72-hour survival kit buckets in master bedroom walk-in closet.
· Yellow, crank powered radio and flashlight in my office.

Get the children’s empty backpacks and put in:

· Water filter pump
· Water packets
· Flashlights and lanterns
· Freeze dried food (1 box of dinner cans and 1 box of vegetable cans)
· Other crank radio

· Leatherman in kitchen junk drawer.

· At least 2 gasoline containers of fuel in garage.

· Cash

· Warm coats
· Sturdy shoes and sneakers for kids.
· Underwear
· Jeans
· Socks

Toiletries:

· Eczema ointment
· Toothbrushes
· Toothpaste
· Dove soap bars
· Deodorant

· Kirby’s kennel
· Dog food

Other:

· Cell phones
· Wallet
· Laptop computer
Emman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #27
lightbeing
Avalon Senior Member

[QUOTE=jpvskyfreak;68726]I cant remember what country it was either Sweden or Switzerland require their homes to have a full 1 year supply of food in their homes and this is actually audited by some official that comes to your home to check that you have the necessary provisions.

It is Switzerland, the Swiss are required to have a 3 month supply of food in case of a major emergency.

Namasté
lightbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #28
mudhog92
Avalon Senior Member

About food sharing, I would share, but I would make them 'pay it back' by bartering services or goods. Help each other help each other. I'll give you soup, but you gotta go get firewood for us to keep warm later. Make sense? We're all in this together, strength in numbers,...service to self or service to others?
mudhog92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #29
jpvskyfreak
Avalon Senior Member

THIS IS TAKEN FROM A POSTER ON ATS "OPERATION MINDCRIME"

The Hague - minister Ter Horst want people to be better prepared for a disaster and get an "emergency kit"

"We are so used to electricity and running water that we do not realise what kid of problems we have if they run out. When you have take of yourself ,the first 24 hours ,after a disaster you really should everthing you need in the house." according to min Ter Horst.

She has repeatedly said that people should be prepared to take car of themselfs after a big disaster. She has put togetter an emergency kit containing first-aid-kit, pocket knife, SOS flags ,transsitor radio etc.
It's for sale for only 70,- euro. People need to take of food supplies and fresh water them selfs. Goverment officials receive this kit (for free) with there christmas bonus.

AND THIS ....

You probably know Holland (small country across the channel from England, you might know it as Amsterdam.lol).
Since last week i've noticed something strange. On the news radio a disproportionate amount of airtime is used to warn and tell people about obtaining an emergency pack (basic survival kid with trans. radio, batteries etc.) in case the power,gas and water supplies run out.

Today even our minister of internal affairs adressed the nation about the importance of such a kit. And a every other commercial break is about how you can get one of these.

On top of that our goverment is starting today with a 4-day simulation in case of a flood and how they should evacuate large number of people.
2500+ officials are involved from local law inforcement to the prime minister. The say it is because of hurrican Cathrina and what happend in America.

Funny thing is we have never (and i mean NEVER!!) had a hurrican, typhoon or any other big natural disaster happening here.

Has anybody noticed something similar in their country or am i just being a bit paranoid here...

(If you like i could enter some newspaper snippet's but there all in dutch so that's pretty useless)

www.nd.nl
jpvskyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:55 AM   #30
Ricfly52
Avalon Senior Member

This is such an important thread. I started about two years ago getting things stocked up. I have been an outdoorsman all my life, and that in it's self is an asset. But if you find yourself as such, it would be good to not rely just on your outdoor skills. Even a thread like this is very enlightening. Many here have good ideas.

People should never take for granted that they can leave an area to get away from a disaster or threat. I have found it useful to be prepared to survive in place, as well as have the option to bug out if that can happen and would be prudent. An attack that had warning might be a good bug out scenario. Perhaps a large earthquake that left avenues of travel might be a good bug out time. But martial law, a sudden nuclear event, etc., might prevent a bug out.

I have turned my house into a fortress. Not to say it is impenatrable, but it would take more than a few thugs to get into my house alive.

Water is the biggest thing. If you live in a city, it is highly likley that the city water will be off or contaminated. I have at present 1500 gallons stored. Unfortuunatly 600 of that is above ground, and gets hot during the day, so I recycle it every day. It is in an old military water buffaloe. I hooked my house water up to it and my home supply goes into the buff, then into my house. Every time the tap is turned on I am cycling water. When shtf, I just disconnect, and viola I have an extra 600 gallons of fairley fresh water. The rest of my water is in my basement or under the house in 6 gallon containers. I have also about 100 gallons in one gallon containers.

I ran out of time here so I will post soon on my bug out ideas, and what I have done there
Ricfly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:03 AM   #31
freekatz
Avalon Senior Member

It's so important to start growing your own food, you don't need a huge plot of land and you don't need to go to agricultural school either. Find out what will grow in your area, stock up on organic seeds too - don't buy any from Monsanto!
freekatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:03 AM   #32
Ricfly52
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekatz View Post
It's so important to start growing your own food, you don't need a huge plot of land and you don't need to go to agricultural school either. Find out what will grow in your area, stock up on organic seeds too - don't buy any from Monsanto!

I agree with you. Even where I live in a very semi-arid place, and the soil is filled with lye and such, food can be grown. But one of the best things is to look at the native plants of your area. Even in a desert, where I am, there are edible native plants. Growing them would be much easier for me than say tomatoes. Just my thoughts.
Ricfly52 is offline   Reply With Quote