Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 03:03 AM   #26
Lance
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Need advice for gardening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom.Man View Post
thanks for the tip. I've been wondering if the seeds we buy are genetically modified.

Look for non-hybridized, open pollinated seeds to get what you you think you want. Hybridized seeds are fine really, IME, but they do not come back true to form. But really, who cares if your squash is blue one year then yellow the next? But really, seeds are the currency of tomorrow (with metals as the store of wealth).
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #27
MargueriteBee
Avalon Senior Member

WOW, WOW, WOW! Such great advice.

Doodah I really like the soil less gardening, there is lots of hay available. I had originally thought of using the hay to outline each garden plot so I could sit on it and save my back the stooping down.

OrganicFarmhand I am planning on making the entire garden in the shape of an plus sign aligned with north, south, etc. and in the center have a shaded spot to sit and meditate - so, yes, I will invite the bees, and plant sunflowers!

Kathleen I will be planting raspberries and blackberries out where the drainage for the sceptic tank will be so I won't have to water them too much. Since I only use products that do not harm the earth it should be okay.

Historycircuis thanks for the info on the Sacred Triad it is beautiful and I already have all those seeds, organice of course!

Nik, I will be taking a sample of the soil in the next week or two. However, since I am starting with an above ground garden I will have time to amend if need be. Mostly I will be using a blend of the natural soil and five year old horse and cow poop, etc. clean stuff.

Thank you JohnWDow, looking forward to it. Sure we can post it if she wishes.

Nenuphar that is a great website, thanks.

Angelite, yes I am buying organice heirloom seeds in bulk. I think it is important to have enough seeds for several years in case a crop doesn't go to well. I have been saving seeds from food I buy at the food co-op for a couple years now.

Alkaluropes it will take some time to look at all those seed sites, thank you! I love lavendar!!

Thanks Peacelovinman (a man after my own heart) I will check out that book.

It is a pretty daunting task ahead of me but I am so looking forward to getting my hand and feet into Mother Earth! I'm glad we already have lots of fruit trees so I don't have to worry about that, boy are the pears yummy!

I will also be placing my orgonite cloud buster nearby. Man, I wish those helicopters would go away!!

Marguerite
MargueriteBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #28
MargueriteBee
Avalon Senior Member

OK, another question. What about medicinal herbs, any recommendations?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #29
Lance
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargueriteBee View Post
OK, another question. What about medicinal herbs, any recommendations?
Thats another thread altogether...here is a basic run down on how to make a garden anywhere,,,

http://projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2855
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #30
FrostyMcunicron
Avalon Senior Member

Location: a box in the inner city w. a slight chance of suburbia New Jersey

i see victory gardens coming back in a big way, i did have the pleasure of growing tomatos & peppers this summer, always loved it.
FrostyMcunicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #31
border xer

I just bought called 'grow your own veg' by Carol Klein. Only cost £1.99 as I got it from a charity shop. I suggest you all go look around your local charity shops for some gardening books, you should be able to find yourself a bargain.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 AM   #32
MargueriteBee
Avalon Senior Member

Lance, using your urine in the garden is an interesting idea it reminds me of an interview I saw on Conscious Media Network with Leonid Sharashkin.

http://www.consciousmedianetwork.com...sharashkin.htm

You do have to register to see the interviews but they are free.

Also see:
http://www.ringincedars.com

If I remember correctly he recommends holding the seeds under your tongue before planting. I don't remember how long.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:54 AM   #33
asteram
Avalon Senior Member

Most of the seeds you buy are not GMO. Very few plants have been messed with; the only vegetable that I know of that has been messed with is the tomato.

Corn, maize, has been GMOed a lot, but it's actually a grain not a vegetable.

The main danger from the GMO stuff is that it readily cross-pollinates and contaminates other non-GMO plants; there's a good chance that most of the corn/maize grown in the USA has been contaminated, as well as the soybeans. This holds true for organic crops too. The only solution I can think of would be to find heirloom maize seeds and grow them in an isolated area where they can't be cross-pollinated by GMOs.

Most garden seeds today are hybrids, which simply means that two parent plants with different characteristics have been crossed to give a plant with some desirable trait, such as yield, appearance, disease resistance etc. There is nothing inherently wrong with that; the only real drawback is that hybrids do not breed true. However, if two broccolis are crossed to make a hybrid broccoli, and that broccoli's seeds are saved and planted, you will still get some type of broccoli, and can select and gather seeds from those you like the best, starting your own improvement program. If all you can get is hybrid seeds, buy them. (usually they will be marked F1 or F2, meaning how many generations of crosses were made)

Heirloom seeds are an excellent thing to get, but I would recommend buying a few packs from the supplier and doing a germination test, rather than buying a bunch, putting them in storage, and finding out whether they sprout or not when you can't afford failure. I've had some poor experiences with commercial heirloom seeds, ranging from complete failure to germinate to a mixed bunch of week and weedy plants. All of the seed's energy and potential is contained in that tiny capsule; you want strong seeds.
asteram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 AM   #34
asteram
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
What about soil types? Any advice on that field (no pun intended)? I mean what sort of soil to look out for, mix, 'clean', etc... Some people may be in areas that different substantially in terms of the soil that they have around them (I'm talking German forest areas vs. South American jungle! )
Other than virgin prairie soil in the upper Midwest USA, the chances of anyone anywhere on the planet having excellent soil with all of the nutrients in balance are not good. Compost and organic matter are NOT the answer in most places; soil fertility is determined by its content and balance of minerals, not by the amount of organic matter. Anyone seriously thinking of feeding themselves and their animals needs to have the soil tested and to learn about soil minerals. Big beautiful vegetables are easy enough to grow; the question is do they have the minerals needed for health? In most cases the answer is no. You do not want your teeth getting loose and your bones weak because your soil lacks the Calcium and Phosphorus teeth and bones are made from. Lack of any of the essential minerals will wreak havoc with health.

I've put together this web site, http://www.soilminerals.com to address the seemingly total lack of good info on soil minerals on the web. If you are serious about growing food to live on, you need to educate yourself; apologies to all the true believers, but compost is not the answer to a mineral deficiency.
asteram is offline   Reply With Quote