Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Lance
Avalon Senior Member

Default A Primer on What It Takes To Grow, 'Your Own'...

http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/37273/

This is a longish read but pretty much covers everything from poor weather to cannibal bunnies. A few lost digits are tossed in for effect. Anyone whom thinks they can run off and live off the land are deluded if they don't take stock of what it actually takes to put your own food, on your own plate. Food storage ideas are great, but the knowledge of when to plant (covered rather funnily in this story) what, how to take a seed from start to freezer, the how's and why's of animal husbandry...all covered...is golden.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
sunflower
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: A Primer on What It Takes To Grow, 'Your Own'...

Hi Lance, great reading. I laughed and laughed but the realization that cooperation with others is the way to go hit me. No man is an island. Each does what he does best and shares. Diane
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
Lance
Avalon Senior Member

""I THINK THAT'S A TERRIBLE IDEA: SELF-SUFFICIENCY""

"First of all, I think that's a terrible concept: self-sufficiency. You make your own cheese; you skin your own pig; you make your own gloves from the pig's ears, you know, it's a shocking idea. We are absolutely interdependent. I want somebody else to be making my boots while I feed them, you know. And somebody else again to make my fishing rod, car, bike. Self-sufficiency is a stupid idea. You can go a long way to feeding yourself or perhaps all the way, but beyond that, it's pretty stupid really. You have to have something to make money: photography, writing books. Me, I write books. That's my income. But I can easily feed myself."

More Here: http://www.seedsofchange.com/be_orga..._interview.asp

Another great read, it'll pop a few bubbles here fortunately or not...

"In 1972, I did that thing where you leave society. I bought five acres in the forest, made a little clearing of about an acre and a half in there and built a house and a barn and a garden and pulled out of society generally. I thought up permaculture. I broke through when I started to think that if I took all the principles of environmental science and made them into directives that tell you what to do, then we've got a way to go."
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #4
Shellie
Banned

That's why we're looking for communities.. so we can exchange/share things. That is also why many are looking for cottage industries to start up/get involved in.
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote