Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

Default Talking of FaceBook

Talking of FaceBook -

'A prototype camera phone application that enables the user to find names and numbers of complete strangers has been labelled a 'stalker's dream'. The application, called Recognizr, has been developed to find personal information through facial recognition software. The user simply has to take a picture of a person and hit the 'Recognize' button.

The photo is then compared to shots on social networking sites including Facebook and Twitter before personal information, which can include phone numbers, addresses and email addresses, is sent to the user. The software developer, Swedish company The Astonishing Tribe, is currently testing the software, which works on phones with a camera of five or more megapixel resolution.

Security experts have blasted the new software for enabling burglars to find out where targets live. Simon Davies from Privacy International said: 'It takes the dangers that already exist and increases them infinitely.'

Read more: Facial Recognition Phone Application Described as a 'Stalker's Dream'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ers-dream.html

Z
Zeddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
HORIZONS
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Talking of FaceBook

Now Big Brother can be anyone.
HORIZONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
5thElement
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Talking of FaceBook

"The photo is then compared to shots on social networking sites including Facebook and Twitter before personal information, which can include phone numbers, addresses and email addresses, is sent to the user. The software developer, Swedish company The Astonishing Tribe, is currently testing the software, which works on phones with a camera of five or more megapixel resolution." Zeddo

Thanks for this info - I have personal reasons for not having my photo on the internet and the main one is that there are people in this world that I do not want to be in contact with. This is only going to make things worse... especially for victims of stalkers, bullies, criminals etc.

I will pass the word around - do you know if it will work if people have their facebook pages only available to their friends? (i.e. you can't locate the page unless they invite you?) My children do this and I have told them I am sure there is a way around it

El
5thElement is offline   Reply With Quote