Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 11-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Parrot given Prozac after owner dies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...wner-dies.html
By Charlotte Bailey
Last Updated: 12:17PM GMT 20 Nov 2008

Tropical birds are extremely emotional Photo: DREW GARDNER Fred, an African Grey parrot, was owned by George Dance, who had rasied him from a chick.

After Mr Dance died nine months ago, Fred became depressed and bit off all of his neck feathers. He also began to bob his head up and down all day as a result of his low mood.

The bird has now been prescribed a twice-daily liquid dose of a bird-friendly version of Prozac, called Clomicalm.

George's widow Helen, from Somerset, told The Sun: "He has been in quite a state since my husband died.

"Fred was very close to George and became depressed."

According to experts, tropical birds are extremely emotional and the number who require anti-depressants is growing.

Late last year, a collie-Labrador cross called Winnie was given Clomicalm after it began to cry and pace nervously.

An animal behaviourist diagnosed Winnie with canine separation anxiety, and the mood-altering drug now helps her to cope.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Default Re: Parrot given Prozac after owner dies.

I think it's terrible that people have these birds for pets
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

I agree swanster these are meant to be in rainforests full stop.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
She-Ra
Avalon Senior Member

Parrots are definitely very close to single person, my parrot friend is my best friend. I don't agree with the pet trade (all animals, not just 'exotic' ones) and I hate going into pet stores, I think it's a disgusting practise to breed, sell and keep them in captivity with innumerable amounts on 'standy' just in case someone decides they want to buy or just 'dispose' of them when inconvenient. People hate it when they see it happening to them but barely think twice about doing, encouraging and buying into it with other species. Even less regard and even animosity is given to those who are not predators (who we revere) and hence are seen as 'food'.

My parrot friend was 'bought' for me despite me adamantly saying no multiple times but then brought home anyway and I couldn't just give him away, after being separated from parents, kept in a box/cage with other orphans and people oggling, then brought into new surroundings just to be hauled off somewhere else. Obvious to say the person who bought him doesn't really give a ****e about much other than themselves to even think about what they endorse with their money and actions.

My sympathy to Fred and Winnie, they're probably going through trauma, isolation and lonliness as well that vicious cycle of depression that brings on his detrimental compulsions. When birds are upset and/or bored they feel what we would feel when trapped - they can go crazy and self harm by plucking out their feathers and biting, their feathers also go black/grey. Many people don't seem to realise that animals need attention and stimulation like we do, they're not just there to greet you in the morning, be left alone all day and then greet you in the evening for a few minutes in between having dinner and doing whatever else, especially ones that develop strong individual bonds. Their personalities have to be catered for rather than generalisations like 'oh it's just a cat, it can look after itself'.

Last edited by She-Ra; 11-28-2008 at 11:03 PM.
She-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

I also agree She-ra if in the position of the said animal being left alone and no-one to care for it you care for it and take it in-what myself and swanster mean is to promote a trade in this activity is out of order.