Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Question What is a Derecho? - Weather News US - 30 Tornadoes & Straight Line Wind Event

Recent weather news about a weather phenomenom I've never heard of...a Derecho!!!

2001 Photo of a Derecho from the ABC video clip towards bottom of post.

What is a Derecho? - Breaking Weather News US

May 05, 2009

by Gary Yates

Breaking Weather News - The Southern parts of the United States from Texas to Georgia and across the states in between Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana are being hit by a wall of storms including Tornado's and some very rare weather events.

Excerpt:

Quote:
One such weather phenomenon known as a 'Derecho' has been hitting the south hard and can last for days. So be vigilant as this rare weather pattern is a killer.

A 'Derecho' is a wall of strong winds and intense thunder storms that can be up to 800 miles long and 250 miles wide. They push along winds of up to 80 miles per hour sometimes stronger and as I said can last for days; this has been happening in some parts of the south for the last two days so keep an eye on events.

I have placed in the images at the top of this page a couple of snaps of 'Derecho's' in action so you can see for yourself what you can expect if one is approaching.

Unlike a Tornado that spins vertically, these winds move horizontally; pushed to the ground by multiple down bursts of air, causing the intense winds and thunderstorms that they are associated with.
Complete article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...her.html?cat=8

Video (2:45): http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...26713&src=news

ABOUT DERECHOS

Part of the Storm Prediction Center, NCEP, NWS, NOAA Web Site
Prepared by Robert H. Johns and Jeffry S. Evans

Source: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDere...rechofacts.htm

Derecho

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho

Derecho photographed in Minnesota (above photo with barn)

Excerpt:

Quote:
A derecho (from Spanish: "derecho" meaning "straight") is a widespread and long-lived, violent convectively induced straight-line windstorm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms in the form of a squall line usually taking the form of a bow echo. Derechos blow in the direction of movement of their associated storms, similar to a gust front, except that the wind is sustained and generally increases in strength behind the "gust" front. A warm weather phenomenon, derechos occur mostly in summer, especially June and July in the northern hemisphere. They can occur at any time of the year and occur as frequently at night as in the daylight hours.

Last edited by peaceandlove; 05-08-2009 at 03:49 PM.
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
WiNaDeYo
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: What is a Derecho? - Weather News US - 30 Tornadoes & Straight Line Wind Event

Now, this is absolutely amazing!!!
WiNaDeYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Luana
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: What is a Derecho? - Weather News US - 30 Tornadoes & Straight Line Wind Event

This is incredible I too have never heard of this before.
Thank you for sharing.
Luana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

I wonder why such a name. it doesn't sound English...
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Malynda
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundia View Post
I wonder why such a name. it doesn't sound English...
I think in Spanish it means straight. It's normally used directionally, as in keep going straight with no turns.
Malynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
bodzoyfa
Avalon Senior Member

What a cool, and informative post! Thanks very much for sharing!

I think we will be exposed to all kinds of extreme weather phenomena in these coming months!

Auntie Em, Todo!!!
bodzoyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzoyfa View Post
What a cool, and informative post! Thanks very much for sharing!

I think we will be exposed to all kinds of extreme weather phenomena in these coming months!

Auntie Em, Todo!!!

Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
judykott
Avalon Senior Member

Very interesting , I had never heard of that phenomenon before. Thanks for posting.
judykott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Never heard of it.

Sounds frightening and I already hate thunderstorms enough.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:14 AM   #10
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Default May 27-28, 2001 derecho

With all the interest in this thread I decided to search for more photos or videos of a derecho and ran into the original (longer) video clip of the Oklahoma Derecho as featured in the ABC News Video in post #1. It was in one of the links I already posted, although I hadn't searched them all fully yet.

MAY 27-28, 2001 DERECHO
"The People Chaser Derecho"

Quote:
Paul Knightley, a meteorologist from England, was viewing the derecho event as it was approaching near Shattuck, Oklahoma. To see Paul's time-lapse video clip of the approaching derecho click here: Video http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDere...1/oklagust.wmv AWESOME!!

Source: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDere...282001page.htm

You know, I wonder where the deer go? How do they hide from an event like this they can't outrun or go around.
My dog hates thunderstorms. She always tries to dig a hole in the floor to hide. (No major damage so far.)
Maybe that's what deer do, dig a hole. Might be kind of tough though, without any claws...perhaps I should have said 'Hoof a Hole'.

Anyway, she calms down and likes it when I spread out a sheet and hang it over her (hanging close overhead), like between the chest of drawers and the bed (I just tuck one section into one of the drawers as wide as possible and then flop the sheet over to the mattress and place something over the sheet to keep it in place or tuck it between the top and bottom mattress), or in the kitchen between a cupboard and the table, similar to a cave.

What people will do for love!

Last edited by peaceandlove; 05-09-2009 at 02:27 AM.
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #11
TruthWillSetUFree
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: What is a Derecho? -One hits Illinois

Just saw this post and heard about one just hitting down south of our state

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGJmO...eature=related

crazy weather this year

Love & Light to all
TruthWillSetUFree is offline   Reply With Quote