Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Project Camelot General Discussion

Notices

Project Camelot General Discussion Reactions, feedback and suggestions on interviews, current events and experiences.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:32 AM   #1
gscraig
Avalon Senior Member

Default Mars to be Moon sized to naked eye

Hello All,

My wife received this at work via a presentation, and I'm still researching some valid information to confirm it. I couldn't upload the presentation which included pictures, but I have typed below verbatim the verbage. I find this to be VERY interesting if it is indeed accurate, and strangely I haven't heard about something that will be so historic and spectacular. Seems like we would have been made aware of this well before the month of it's occurence. This adds to the ongoing chain of cosmic coincidences that continues to emerge in our solar system. If someone can share some insight on this it would be much appreciated. Thanks

This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again. The ecnounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification.

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10pm and reach it's azimuth at about 3am. By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30am. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

It then goes on to state; Share this with your children and grandchildren. NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN
gscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #2
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Default Re: Mars to be Moon sized to naked eye

Hi gscraig,

Relax, this is an urban legend, an old internet hoax:

http://skepticdetective.wordpress.co...n-27th-august/

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscraig View Post
Hello All,

My wife received this at work via a presentation, and I'm still researching some valid information to confirm it. I couldn't upload the presentation which included pictures, but I have typed below verbatim the verbage. I find this to be VERY interesting if it is indeed accurate, ....
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
At a modest 75-power magnification.

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

I think they are using a play on words.
micjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #4
gscraig
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Steve.
That explains why I couldn't find one credible reference via the internet to support this information. I should have known better. :-/
gscraig is offline   Reply With Quote