Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
larissarissa
Avalon Senior Member

Default Travel to Asia - free!

I'm a traveler at heart, and found a great way to get around was to teach English. Most countries in Asia are desperate for English teachers (they prefer native speakers) especially Korea. If you have a BA in anything, you can get a job teaching English in Korea. Other countries, like China, only require a TEFL certificate, which you can get at any one of many locations around the world (I got mine in Thailand).

I guess a lot of people would like to get out of America right now, don't blame them, I'm not going back in a hurry. They prefer American native speakers, liking the American accent (??!) go figure. Koreans are not crazy about the American military presence in their country, but are otherwise ok with foreigners.

My year contract is up in December so if you want to teach in Korea for a year, and are an older female with a BA, please pm me. The pay is good, I've been able to save $10,000 to go traveling with, and they provide a free apartment as well as free ticket from your country (and back, when you're finished).

Others can go to Dave's esl cafe and find hundreds of jobs available all over the place. I'd like to work in Dubai next, where the pay is twice that in Korea. But if you want to experience the Orient first hand, Korea is a great place to come to work. It's a bit harder to get jobs in Japan, where the competition is stiffer, and also the cost of living too high. China doesn't pay very much, and I'm mad at them about Tibet, anyway.

There's a group of people from PA getting together to talk about survival in Korea, and there are thousands of foreign teachers here. It's a beautiful country, 75% mountains, the mountains surround the city where I am. Something to consider, for sure.
larissarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:32 AM   #2
gordon
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Travel to Asia - free!

(Sorry To Everybody). I removed all the words from the post. Yeah! I am a Australian and we do have something called: Freedom Of Speech :here in Australia. I did not know my post would upset certain people.

Last edited by gordon; 10-13-2008 at 02:59 PM.
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larissarissa View Post
I'm a traveler at heart, and found a great way to get around was to teach English...If you have a BA in anything
I've looked at those jobs...wistfully at times. I have no degree and no specialized training. I'm just one of the most articulate people I know because I love knowledge and I love language.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
larissarissa
Avalon Senior Member

Whitecrow - China is desperate for teachers and they don't require a degree. You can go on a TEFL course to learn to teach English - it only takes a few weeks, and you get a certificate which a lot of countries will accept. Countries like Thailand, China, and others don't pay much, but you can live on the pay. Some of them do pay your airline ticket to their country. It's worth pursuing, if you like to travel.
larissarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
wolfman
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon View Post
Free? It is how the Asians get to Australia for free...(And we call them the 'boat people').
So what do you call those that where shipped from England to Australia? They had free passage too!!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote