Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Mystery Roar from Faraway Space Detected

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...mic-noise.html

posted: 07 January 2009
04:43 pm ET

LONG BEACH, Calif. -- Space is typically thought of as a very quiet place. But one team of astronomers has found a strange cosmic noise that booms six times louder than expected.

The roar is from the distant cosmos. Nobody knows what causes it.

Of course, sound waves can't travel in a vacuum (which is what most of space is), or at least they can't very efficiently. But radio waves can.

Radio waves are not sound waves, but they are still electromagnetic waves, situated on the low-frequency end of the light spectrum.

Many objects in the universe, including stars and quasars, emit radio waves. Even our home galaxy, the Milky Way, emits a static hiss (first detected in 1931 by physicist Karl Jansky). Other galaxies also send out a background radio hiss.

But the newly detected signal, described here today at the 213th meeting of the American Astronomical Society, is far louder than astronomers expected.

There is "something new and interesting going on in the universe," said Alan Kogut of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

A team led by Kogut detected the signal with a balloon-borne instrument named ARCADE (Absolute Radiometer for Cosmology, Astrophysics, and Diffuse Emission).

In July 2006, the instrument was launched from NASA's Columbia Scientific Balloon Facility in Palestine, Texas, and reached an altitude of about 120,000 feet (36,500 meters), where the atmosphere thins into the vacuum of space.

ARCADE's mission was to search the sky for faint signs of heat from the first generation of stars, but instead they heard a roar from the distant reaches of the universe.

"The universe really threw us a curve," Kogut said. "Instead of the faint signal we hoped to find, here was this booming noise six times louder than anyone had predicted."

Detailed analysis of the signal ruled out primordial stars or any known radio sources, including gas in the outermost halo of our own galaxy.

Other radio galaxies also can't account for the noise – there just aren't enough of them.

"You'd have to pack them into the universe like sardines," said study team member Dale Fixsen of the University of Maryland. "There wouldn't be any space left between one galaxy and the next."

The signal is measured to be six times brighter than the combined emission of all known radio sources in the universe.

For now, the origin of the signal remains a mystery.

"We really don't know what it is,"said team member Michael Seiffert of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

And not only has it presented astronomers with a new puzzle, it is obscuring the sought-for signal from the earliest stars. But the cosmic static may itself provide important clues to the development of galaxies when the universe was much younger, less than half its present age. Because the radio waves come from far away, traveling at the speed of light, they therefore represent an earlier time in the universe.

"This is what makes science so exciting," Seiffert said. "You start out on a path to measure something – in this case, the heat from the very first stars – but run into something else entirely, some unexplained."

The Strangest Things in Space
The Wildest Weather in the Galaxy
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Egg
Banned

Default Re: Mystery Roar from Faraway Space Detected

I think this will be a defining post here on Avalon. We will I think look back and go 'you remember that post about the radio waves roaring?'.

What evers on its way is getting louder. I was for many years an amateur astronomer, have spent time at radio telescopes and SIX times louder than earlier detected? thats like hearing a mini motor car one day, and three concordes the next. Amazing, simply stunning implications.
Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Steve_G

Alex Collier said something about black holes emitting something in this his talk at the Exopolitics Earth Transformation Conference last year:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...x+collier+2008

Could be related.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah,who knows what's going on in the backyard? At the present moment most of the "available knowledge" is still working on how to open the latch on the back gate whilst the older kids are playing football and building go carts in the back alley.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Egg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaletriangle View Post
Yeah,who knows what's going on in the backyard? At the present moment most of the "available knowledge" is still working on how to open the latch on the back gate whilst the older kids are playing football and building go carts in the back alley.
Thats the simpleist but most sublime statement ever.
I agree 100%, and after all, no one believed that planets made sounds until we took a leap in technology and found it to be true.
Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
blastawaycas
Avalon Senior Member

ABSOLUTELY INTRUGING TO ME WHAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE GOING ON IN OUR FRONT AND BACK GARDEN....
ON A PERSONAL LEVEL I AM AMAZED AT THIS FIND...THE REASON WELL, FIRSTLY I AM SO NOT PSYCHIC OR IN TOUCH WITH SPIRITS OR EVEN NEVER SEEN A UFO ALTHOUGH I PARADOXICALLY BELIEVE.
WHEN I WAS ABOUT 8 OR 9 I USED TO IMAGINE FLYING THRU THE AIR AROUND THE HOUSING ESTATE AND THRU HOUSES PAST PEOPLE ECT, THEN LATER ON I HEARD OF OUT OF BODY EXPERIENCES I THOUGHT THAT SO WIERD I WAS'NT EXPERIENCING THIS JUST IMAGINING IT...WHAT POINT AM I TRYING TO MAKE WELL FOR YEARS MAYBE 12 OR 15 NOW I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED WHAT WOULD HAPPEN SHOULD I LOOK TO THE STARS ONE NIGHT AND SUDDENLY BE CONFRONTED AS WOULD THE WHOLE OF EARTH BY SOME HUGE COSMIC BANG, CREATING AN EARTH SHATTERING NOISE AROUND THE PLANET, I OFTEN WONDERED IF THAT COULD BE POSSIBLE THEN HERE WE GO.
VERY INTRIGING VERY STRANGE THANKS FOR THE THREAD AND I HAVE READ EVERYBODIES COMMENTS WITH RESPECT AND INTEREST..GOOD THREAD AND SORRY FOR WAFFLING AS I HAVE NOT REALLY CONTRIBUTED ANYTHING JUST PUT DOWN MY THOUGHTS REALLY KINDEST REGARDS ALL DAVE CASTER
blastawaycas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Mercuriel
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs up Re: Mystery Roar from Faraway Space Detected

This is the sound of the Galactic Ascension Wave / Cosmic Wave released from Hunab Ku...

It originates from the Super Massive Black Hole in the center of the Milky Way. Onward it rushes as now - We begin to hear It's roar...

Apparently - There will be five waves - The First of which is to Hit Us December 21st, 2012...

That said, ALL DNA on this Planet will have been seriously Upgraded after that has occurred...

Mercuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Mercuriel
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs up Re: Mystery Roar from Faraway Space Detected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastawaycas View Post
NOW I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED WHAT WOULD HAPPEN SHOULD I LOOK TO THE STARS ONE NIGHT AND SUDDENLY BE CONFRONTED AS WOULD THE WHOLE OF EARTH BY SOME HUGE COSMIC BANG, CREATING AN EARTH SHATTERING NOISE AROUND THE PLANET, I OFTEN WONDERED IF THAT COULD BE POSSIBLE THEN HERE WE GO. VERY INTRIGING VERY STRANGE THANKS FOR THE THREAD

With Spirit - There are no Coincidences - Only Synchronicities...

Mercuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
Delphi
Avalon Senior Member

I read this post and remembered my son's father saying that "In the beginning was the word" is a mistranslation for "In the beginning was the sound."
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
Colin

..Jabba The Hut farted..in a galaxy far, far, away
Old 01-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

BwaHaHa

Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote