Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Project Camelot General Discussion

Notices

Project Camelot General Discussion Reactions, feedback and suggestions on interviews, current events and experiences.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:07 AM   #1
Practitioner
Avalon Senior Member

Default On the subject of "Internet Security"

I just joined and will begin by pointing out something that would be obvious to some people, and perhaps less obvious to others. The internet is not really private or secure. An individual's identity and location can be tracked in numerous ways and from numerous sources, from ISPs, to operating systems, to browsers and browser plug-ins, and probably other sophisticated ways down to the network hubs themselves.

So just keep in mind that information submitted via the Internet is freely available to those who care to filter through it all. Actually, the Internet itself began as a project by DARPA and was originally called DARPA Net, I believe. Consider a forum such as this as a good opportunity to speak directly to such people.
Practitioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
Baggywrinkle

Default Re: On the subject of "Internet Security"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Practitioner View Post
Consider a forum such as this as a good opportunity to speak directly to such people.
I shall.

HONOR YOUR OATH!

You took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution
from all enemies foreign and domestic. YOU stand at
the walls defending freedom. YOU are responsible if
anything happens to the mothers and children of this
country. WE shall hold YOU accountable!

It is your duty and obligation under the UCMJ to refuse to obey an illegal order. I was just following
orders did not wash at Nuremberg and it will not wash today!

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)
Old 09-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
Lance
Avalon Senior Member

My name is:
Lance Cameron Roseman-Wildwood
I live in Roberts Creek, BC
V0N 2W0

And I for one, will not pander to fear.
Who cares whom knows what about whom at this point in time.
It is enough that we may or may not be able to reach as many people as possible given the circumstances evincing thenselves at present.

If I am not on a supposed 'list' I am not doing my job.
Is George Green, George Green, is Michael St.Clair, Michael St.Clair, am I Lance Roseman...are you a practitioner of something?

I know many won't like me quoting the 'beast' but hey...

"fear is failure and the forerunner of failure"

Or I could do Dune

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain"
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
atom.Man
Avalon Senior Member

for those that wish to protect their right to privacy, here are a couple of resources. Further reading is highly suggested however.

Tor - "Tor is a software project that helps you defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security."

various ways to use Tor. If you use Firefox, several extensions are available. There are also several portable versions of Opera and Firefox available with Tor integrated which can be run from a UFD (flash memory/USB memory stick). I would suggest this method for new users because the browsers have already been configured for anonymity.

also see "proxy server" on Wikipedia.

a little on proxy servers: What you're looking for is an anonymous proxy - one that will not reveal your IP. I'd suggest looking overseas if you live in the U.S. and looking for one which does not keep logs. If they have a privacy policy, read it. No cost proxy servers are harder to find and often do not last. Here's some resources for finding and testing them:

Freenet - "Freenet is software designed to allow the free exchange of information over the Internet without fear of censorship, or reprisal."
atom.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
arcora
Banned

If the PTB choose to lock me up (or worse) for saying what I believe then so be it.
arcora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Kate
Avalon Senior Member

Location: currently UK, searching for a safe relocation in next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom.Man View Post
for those that wish to protect their right to privacy, here are a couple of resources. Further reading is highly suggested however.

Tor - "Tor is a software project that helps you defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security."

various ways to use Tor. If you use Firefox, several extensions are available. There are also several portable versions of Opera and Firefox available with Tor integrated which can be run from a UFD (flash memory/USB memory stick). I would suggest this method for new users because the browsers have already been configured for anonymity.

also see "proxy server" on Wikipedia.

a little on proxy servers: What you're looking for is an anonymous proxy - one that will not reveal your IP. I'd suggest looking overseas if you live in the U.S. and looking for one which does not keep logs. If they have a privacy policy, read it. No cost proxy servers are harder to find and often do not last. Here's some resources for finding and testing them:

Freenet - "Freenet is software designed to allow the free exchange of information over the Internet without fear of censorship, or reprisal."

Thanks for that info Atom man...I am sure that will be helpful to many who are concerned about prying eyes and their personal security away from the undesirable 'snoopers'

all the best
firehorse
Old 09-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
crowbird
Avalon Senior Member

Greetings
Just installed: Covert Surfer Demo, will test it for a few days. Anyone else who have tested this software?
crowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
Rocky_Shorz
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Practitioner View Post
I just joined and will begin by pointing out something that would be obvious to some people, and perhaps less obvious to others. The internet is not really private or secure. An individual's identity and location can be tracked in numerous ways and from numerous sources, from ISPs, to operating systems, to browsers and browser plug-ins, and probably other sophisticated ways down to the network hubs themselves.

So just keep in mind that information submitted via the Internet is freely available to those who care to filter through it all. Actually, the Internet itself began as a project by DARPA and was originally called DARPA Net, I believe. Consider a forum such as this as a good opportunity to speak directly to such people.
I have no doubt they are watching, actually I depend on it.

Years ago they wanted me to join their think tank, I respectfully declined and said I would step in whenever I am needed...

They leave me alone and I give them the advice they need...
Rocky_Shorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
RSF
Avalon Senior Member

Welcome 'Practitioner''.
PGP seems to be a good en-cryption option. Though I must admit figuring out how to use it has been difficult for me. I use p-c-t-o-o-l-s scramble, it's an old DOS based en-cryption but the only one I know how to use
RSF
RSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:35 AM   #10
Fredkc
Project Avalon Member

Proxy servers?
Remember the guy who hacked Palin's email? It took the FBI almost half the morning to track him down thru a proxy server. There is no such thing as anonymous on the Interrnet. No such animal.

In short, everything you say on any kind of phone, type into email, a forum, a messenger IS recorded and sifted thru by several departments of the US gummint. Thery even added the Pentagon to the list recently. The Pentagon has bids out. They have plans to contract out all the word recognition work.

Privacy is the stuff you whisper to your dog.

Evil cannot be killed. Only redeemed.

Chat us up at: Avalon Chat
Fredkc is offline   Reply With Quote