Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
BPhill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Building Plans Anybody?

Hi All,

I have a team of an architect, quantity surveyor and two structural engineers who are going to help me initiate a small test building project over the next few months to build a prototype for a self sustainable housing unit tailored to the local environmental condition.

Although we have some idea of where we want to end up we are very much interested in the domed construction models many on this forum have spoken of. If anyone has building plans for a domed housing or dwelling and/or a sustainable dwelling and is willing to share please post a reply to this or PM me if you'd like to speak to me personally about it.

Namaste!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
Myplanet2
In The Mists
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,133
Default Re: Building Plans Anybody?

I've started looking into this some. Here's a couple of links I've found so far.

http://shop.monolithic.com/products/...plans-and-more

http://www.dometech.com/

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3Den%26sa%3DN

http://static.monolithic.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolithic_dome
Myplanet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
David
Avalon Senior Member
 
David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 398
Default Re: Building Plans Anybody?

I used to be an electrical engineer but now working for the my family construction business as an metal stud and drywall estimator. Just to let you know; building a dome will raise the price significantly unless you can find the trusses and radius track in a pre-built package deal. Does it have to be domed?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
BPhill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Building Plans Anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I used to be an electrical engineer but now working for the my family construction business as an metal stud and drywall estimator. Just to let you know; building a dome will raise the price significantly unless you can find the trusses and radius track in a pre-built package deal. Does it have to be domed?
Not necessarily, we are mainly focused on finding the most cost effective and stable solution. As many of us are recent graduates we are going to thrash it out as we go along but we do have the drive and resources available.

We were considering the dome shape only because of its supposed shielding qualities from environmental factors, that aside we are going to go with what works best considering local environmental properties, cost and time effectiveness being a major factor.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
DiVineEnvy
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 128
Default Re: Building Plans Anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPhill View Post
If anyone has building plans for a domed housing or dwelling and/or a sustainable dwelling and is willing to share please post a reply to this or PM me if you'd like to speak to me personally about it.
The Monolithic Dome system that George Green illustrated is based on shooting concrete over steel reinforcing bars placed around an inflated balloon form. Stated specs are impressive: for instance being able to withstand the impact of a tree flying through the air at 300 MPH.

If you do not plan on using the Monolithic system, there are numerous solutions that can provide similar and maybe superior performance.

SITE CONSIDERATIONS: Pick a building site with good drainage, natural protection from prevailing winds, and good solar orientation.

BUILDING DESIGN: For a "compound" scale building suitable for extended families I am a big fan of the approach Sol Invictus mentioned in this Avalon thread:

http://projectavalon.net/forum/showt...ht=brae&page=3

Google "skara brae" - there is a lot of info on this, including floor plans and pictures.

Also, see Carol's thread on a Hobbit 'Habitat' House:

http://projectavalon.net/forum/showt...ghlight=hobbit

If you must have a dome, you can still create one with adobe; "super adobe" (earthbag construction) or earth-casting, and then skin the whole structure with at least 2.5 inches (63.5 mm) of ferrocement over heavy gauge welded metal wire mesh. You can even put a living roof on top of the dome. However, the general precept of keeping openings - ie., doors and windows - to a minimum still holds. Ferrocement is strong and weather resistant, but as to how well an adobe/ferrocement hybrid dome can withstand 300 MPH impact forces (or earthquakes for that matter) - that's a question for the structural engineer. Possibly a couple of ring shaped "bond beams" might help.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your project...Post us some pics when you get this underway!

Last edited by DiVineEnvy; 10-06-2008 at 02:05 AM.
DiVineEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chelmsford, Essex
Posts: 650
Default Re: Building Plans Anybody?

Well worth looking into Solar building to for heating. Maybe a solar collector on the outside of the dome

Superb I just had to give back to the library on Solar Passive heating and cooling. Insulation is key for the lowest energy usuage.
Connecting with Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Shechaiyah
Banned
 
Shechaiyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: in cyberspace
Posts: 225
Default Re: Building Plans Anybody?

Here you go.

Apartment under a pyramid greenhouse (which supplies O2 and food to the occupants). I didn't write it; Les Brown did in 1978 and then he died.

http://www.holyconservancy.org/789005.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPhill View Post
Hi All,

I have a team of an architect, quantity surveyor and two structural engineers who are going to help me initiate a small test building project over the next few months to build a prototype for a self sustainable housing unit tailored to the local environmental condition.

Although we have some idea of where we want to end up we are very much interested in the domed construction models many on this forum have spoken of. If anyone has building plans for a domed housing or dwelling and/or a sustainable dwelling and is willing to share please post a reply to this or PM me if you'd like to speak to me personally about it.

Namaste!
Shechaiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
ISIS
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto/Markham....Ontario.. CANADA.
Posts: 49
Default Re: Building Plans Anybody?

(quote)
Here you go.

Apartment under a pyramid greenhouse (which supplies O2 and food to the occupants). I didn't write it; Les Brown did in 1978 and then he died.

http://www.holyconservancy.org/789005.htm



===============================================

Thank you for this link of Les Brown,... Schech

I'm reading it and finding it very interesting,

I live not too far from where he farmed...

I just wanted to thank you in the meantime....

My, you are amazing,

You find just about anything....

thanks again...ISIS


Last edited by ISIS; 10-15-2008 at 11:59 PM.
ISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Project Avalon