Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Alternative Science

Notices

Old 09-13-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
Chris Parson
Avalon Senior Member

Default cannibinoids promote brain growth

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/d...your_fate.html

Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects.
J Clin Invest. 2005 Nov;115(11):3104-16. Epub 2005 Oct 13.

From the Abstract: The hippocampal dentate gyrus in the adult mammalian brain contains neural stem/progenitor cells (NS/PCs) capable of generating new neurons, i.e., neurogenesis. Most drugs of abuse examined to date decrease adult hippocampal neurogenesis, but the effects of cannabis (marijuana or cannabinoids) on hippocampal neurogenesis remain unknown. This study aimed at investigating the potential regulatory capacity of the potent synthetic cannabinoid HU210 on hippocampal neurogenesis and its possible correlation with behavioral change. We show that both embryonic and adult rat hippocampal NS/PCs are immunoreactive for CB1 cannabinoid receptors, indicating that cannabinoids could act on CB1 receptors to regulate neurogenesis. This hypothesis is supported by further findings that HU210 promotes proliferation, but not differentiation, of cultured embryonic hippocampal NS/PCs likely via a sequential activation of CB1 receptors, G(i/o) proteins, and ERK signaling. Chronic, but not acute, HU210 treatment promoted neurogenesis in the hippocampal dentate gyrus of adult rats and exerted anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects. X-irradiation of the hippocampus blocked both the neurogenic and behavioral effects of chronic HU210 treatment, suggesting that chronic HU210 treatment produces anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects likely via promotion of hippocampal neurogenesis.

AND

In The Neuroscientist vol 13, no. 2, 109-114 (2007)
"The Endocannabinoid System and Neurogenesis in Health and Disease"

From the abstract: The endocannabinoid system exerts an important neuromodulatory function in different brain areas and is also known to be involved in the regulation of neural cell fate. Thus, CB1 cannabinoid receptors are neuroprotective in different models of brain injury, and their expression is altered in various neurodegenerative diseases. Recent findings have demonstrated the presence of a functional endocannabinoid system in neural progenitor cells that participates in the regulation of cell proliferation and differentiation. In this Research Update, the authors address the experimental evidence regarding the regulatory role of cannabinoids in neurogenesis and analyze them in the context of those pathological disorders in which cannabinoid function and altered neuronal or glial generation is most relevant, for example, stroke and multiple sclerosis. NEUROSCIENTIST 13(2):109—114, 2007.
Chris Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Gozaimasu Stone

Default Re: cannibinoids promote brain growth

is there any differentiation in these results between cannaboid plants naturally grown through photosynthesis and non-photosynthetic processes such as hydroponically manipulated/altered cannaboid plants?

Do your results come from the analysis of both processes?
If the results are different,what would be the differentiating factors and why?
Old 09-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
bluestix
Avalon Senior Member

Of course it does.

Why do you think it is illegal.

It's the best cure for Babylon's Disease.

The people in this world have a mind sickness.
bluestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
FrostyMcunicron
Avalon Senior Member

Location: a box in the inner city w. a slight chance of suburbia New Jersey

the brain releases natural cannibinoids.

On the other hand Cannabis Sativa has proven cancer preventing properties & if THC is present when a cell goes deficient it dies instead of doubling every time.. Perhaps in the Near future we will bare witness to a "Crimes against humanity" class action lawsuit against the USA GOV & every politician who knowingly continued prohibition in return $$ and power. The 1# drug dealer in the world IS the USA Gov. Monopoly anyone?
FrostyMcunicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Chris Parson
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozaimasu Stone View Post
is there any differentiation in these results between cannaboid plants naturally grown through photosynthesis and non-photosynthetic processes such as hydroponically manipulated/altered cannaboid plants?
i don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyMcunicron View Post
the brain releases natural cannibinoids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_receptor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocan...docannabinoids

Quote:
On the other hand Cannabis Sativa has proven cancer preventing properties
http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/..._medical_uses/
Code:
Researchers presented tantalizing evidence that cannabinoid drugs
 can help treat amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, known as ALS or Lou Gehrig's
 disease, Parkinson's disease and obesity. Other researchers are studying 
whether the compounds can help victims of stroke and multiple sclerosis.
http://www.cpmc.org/professionals/re...ence/sean.html
Code:
In addition to Δ9-THC, cannabidiol (CBD), cannabinol (CBN) and 
cannabigerol (CBG) are also present in reasonable quantities in Cannabis. 
CBN has low affinity for CB1 and CB2 receptors, whereas the non-psychotropic 
cannabinoids, CBD and CBG, have negligible affinity for the cloned receptors. 
We have determined that these additional cannabinoids are also effective 
and inhibiting aggressive cancers.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
Debugged

So, what you're telling me is, I shouldn't have quit?

I think a lot clearer, and faster off it, though. My lungs are happy too.

Based on my experiences, I'd say there's a lot of give and take with C.Sativa. It helped me with pain from an injury to my dura mater at C5-6 level, and also gave me more awareness of proprioception and kinesthesia in my left side(due to an old brain injury) which all helped in my physical rehab. But, cognitively speaking, it takes away a few IQ points, and some fine motor coordination.

It definitely shouldn't be illegal though. I think it helps more than it hinders.

I'm hoping that using the abbreviated Latin terminology doesn't alert the Google folks to an "adult" conversation here. Maybe we just have to come up with our own terminology for certain things here, that no one else uses.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
bluestix
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debugged View Post
But, cognitively speaking, it takes away a few IQ points, and some fine motor coordination.

Speak for yourself.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
uboslav
Avalon Senior Member

This is an extremely interesting topic for me, because I grew up in the heart of marijuana land on vancouver island. It for years has been extremely abundant here. All generations of life in this area seem to smoke on a regular basis.

Recently after about 15 years of smoking it day in and day out I decided to quit. I had discovered through access to my higher self through dowsing that it was not harming me, it was merely a distraction. Instead of worrying about my well being, I was worrying about getting stoned.

I went on to ask my pendulum so so many questions on the topic that what resulted is me quitting to concentrate on my well being. Once I did quit , I noticed that sitting at a computer for any length of time was very uncomfortable, eating food was nearly impossible for a few days, and going to bed at a decent time..forget it.

All of this has now passed and I seem to be back on track to my normal feelings and thought. But at the time when i was indulging in heavy smoke it was very fair to say that it motivated me. It was like I didnt want to learn anything unless I was freshly stoned. It definitely did spark brain activity for me. I do know another in my town who still is like this. Get him stoned and he will rebuild his truck from the ground up part by part. One of our friends use to call us motivated stoners.

So through first hand experience I would say YES weed does stimulate the brain in someway or another. I would like to hear other opinions on this. We are led to believe through mass propaganda that getting stoned will make u stupid. I do not believe this. I think it just effects different people in different ways.
uboslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #9
ADAM KADMON
Avalon Senior Member

Good ol'MJ~

If you are anything like me, you've experimented your fair share with Marijuana and psychedlics... and you have been back and forth between 'quitting' and restarting more than once.

However, I think learning to discipline yourself into using only once or twice per week, at the appropriate time of day amplifies it's effectiveness and medicinal qualities 100 fold. The reason being is this:

When you can control your usage, you enjoy the emotions of order, self-discipline and control IN ADDITION to the irrefutable medicinal qualities MJ has to offer. Instead of experiencing the negative emotions that stem from a lack of self control, it actually gives you an opportunity to excite the opposite positive emotions of balance!

When you use MJ often enough that your body is giving you negative feedback, it's time to back off and objectively concentrate on the proper usage for you. This takes maturity. This times compassion and understanding towards yourself. And it takes a teaspoon of willpower to follow-through with your decision.

Some people find it easier to just cut it of their lives totally when they are not using it. Others find it easier to cope by making it a daily routine. It's been my experience that the most beneficial time in my life, was only after employing self discipline with it's usage.

That's not something a MJ fanatic wants to hear. But deep down, they know it to be true. I'm just reminding you of what you likely already know to be true.

Adam K.
ADAM KADMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:11 AM   #10
bluestix
Avalon Senior Member

Higher Doses

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast.”

--Ronald Reagan quotes (American 40th US President (1981- 89), 1911-2004)

People have a right to get stoned. They have a right to think and explore their own minds. This is as intimate a part of their being as their sexuality. Any culture which mitigates that is clearly afraid of a full and fair and open dialogue about what reality is and what real human values ought to be.

--Terence McKenna

"You can look at the harm caused by free radicals as biological friction or biological rust and the endocannabinoid system minimizes the impact of that and directly acts as an antioxidant as well as modifying the biochemistry in a way that minimizes the impacts," said Melamede outside court Thursday, likening endocannabinoids to humans like oil is to cars. He said if you don't have lubrication in your car, your car breaks. In the human body, the damage comes in the form of age-related diseases.

"I'm saying what science has now shown is that marijuana and cannabinoids are effective anti-aging agents which means that they are effective in minimizing the onset and the severity of age-related illnesses which include cognitive dysfunction things like Alzheimers, cardiovascular disease be it heart attacks, strokes, or clogged arteries," he said.

But while it does not work for every one, cannabis can also help those people with auto-immune diseases and cancer.

Melamede explained that you would have to take 40,000 times the therapeutic dose before causing harm to your body. But the therapeutic index for aspirin is 15 to one.

"It's extremely safe," said Melamede of marijuana, noting the overdose amount would equal 40,000 joints.

"And you die happy," added Judge Don Sperry during a rare moment of levity in Thursday's testimony.

And finally --- Marijuana cures cancer:

RUN FROM THE CURE - The Rick Simpson Story
Old 09-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #11
OrganicFarmhand

Rick Simpson is a good man and he helped many people free of charge. I am a firm believer that a lot of the drugs should be legal, well the non manufactured ones at least. Mushrooms, cannabis and other "drugs" have been used for thousands of years and none of them really became illegal until after Alcohol prohibition. My guess is that with all the people they hired to fight the alcohol war were going to loose their job after it was made legal so they needed a new enemy. The war on drugs and the war on terror were two wars that were never made to be won, just to make tons of money and destroy our freedom!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:24 AM   #12
Toymachines
Avalon Senior Member

Hell ya. I would say it promotes brain growth, it at least makes you think farther outside the box. But, it is a distraction, a blessed distraction...
Toymachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:52 AM   #13
ForsakenFalcon
Avalon Senior Member

It's hard to say because at first it does make You think out side the box and I must admite it sure did help Me pass My year 10 english and maths exsame's it made 3hours fly by like nothing elles and at the time the maths question's were allmost like decodeing so it wasn't as boreing.

However like someone allready said after awhile it get's to the point of when You don't want to do anything while sober eithen the thing's You previously "Loved" as in hobbie's and such.

I never avise anyone to smoke weed however if You so choice to like any drug You got to take personal responsibility on a new level geting high on eithen hullsagine's so long as Your doing it for the right reason's in term's of a learning cerve then You'r realy doing no harm, People whom use drug's then go stealing mugging and eithen killing then crying to the court's
"It was the drug's man I had no idear what I was doing blah blah blah"
it's utter bull **** each and every time Iv been high on anything Iv all ways knew My action's still had consiquences and that alot of what I was experienceing was due to I was high I never once disreguarded that fact.
ForsakenFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:36 AM   #14
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Amen

Last edited by Dantheman62; 09-20-2008 at 04:54 AM.
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #15
Theresa
Avalon Senior Member

I know someone who is a "motivated stoner" also. But he is also completely self centered, totally disassociated from others in relationship and completely distracted with "phenomenon based" spiritual experience.

I tried to keep up with him (daily smoker) because it was the only way to relate to him, but couldn't come close. After smoking daily for 25 years, he could smoke a LOT. I can't. not even a little. I'm ALREADY a channeler-I became completely unproductive on it. He, however, is very productive, owns his own business, makes a ton of money.

What spirit told me is that pot does give people access to INTERDIMENSIONAL information, which is exciting and distracting to say the LEAST.

But on the negative side, it DIMINISHES one's connection to their HIGHER SELF, the only level of spiritual information that really matters. In other words, it's an intellectual's distraction of choice, I would say. its a HUGE distraction.

Just because it activates the brain don't mean it evolves it, brothers....
Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #16
Orion11
Avalon Senior Member

doesnt mean it doesnt help it evolve either.

really jus here to bump the thread. lol

Orion11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:19 AM   #17
Chris Parson
Avalon Senior Member

yeah don't smoke all day every day, kids
Old 09-21-2008, 03:06 AM   #18
colesmommy1117
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Parson View Post

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/d...your_fate.html

Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects.
J Clin Invest. 2005 Nov;115(11):3104-16. Epub 2005 Oct 13.

From the Abstract: The hippocampal dentate gyrus in the adult mammalian brain contains neural stem/progenitor cells (NS/PCs) capable of generating new neurons, i.e., neurogenesis. Most drugs of abuse examined to date decrease adult hippocampal neurogenesis, but the effects of cannabis (marijuana or cannabinoids) on hippocampal neurogenesis remain unknown. This study aimed at investigating the potential regulatory capacity of the potent synthetic cannabinoid HU210 on hippocampal neurogenesis and its possible correlation with behavioral change. We show that both embryonic and adult rat hippocampal NS/PCs are immunoreactive for CB1 cannabinoid receptors, indicating that cannabinoids could act on CB1 receptors to regulate neurogenesis. This hypothesis is supported by further findings that HU210 promotes proliferation, but not differentiation, of cultured embryonic hippocampal NS/PCs likely via a sequential activation of CB1 receptors, G(i/o) proteins, and ERK signaling. Chronic, but not acute, HU210 treatment promoted neurogenesis in the hippocampal dentate gyrus of adult rats and exerted anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects. X-irradiation of the hippocampus blocked both the neurogenic and behavioral effects of chronic HU210 treatment, suggesting that chronic HU210 treatment produces anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects likely via promotion of hippocampal neurogenesis.

AND

In The Neuroscientist vol 13, no. 2, 109-114 (2007)
"The Endocannabinoid System and Neurogenesis in Health and Disease"

From the abstract: The endocannabinoid system exerts an important neuromodulatory function in different brain areas and is also known to be involved in the regulation of neural cell fate. Thus, CB1 cannabinoid receptors are neuroprotective in different models of brain injury, and their expression is altered in various neurodegenerative diseases. Recent findings have demonstrated the presence of a functional endocannabinoid system in neural progenitor cells that participates in the regulation of cell proliferation and differentiation. In this Research Update, the authors address the experimental evidence regarding the regulatory role of cannabinoids in neurogenesis and analyze them in the context of those pathological disorders in which cannabinoid function and altered neuronal or glial generation is most relevant, for example, stroke and multiple sclerosis. NEUROSCIENTIST 13(2):109—114, 2007.

My sister forwarded this to me. Amazing stuff. And, as a healthcare worker and daughter of a man who suffered from cancer at the expense of his country (who smoked near the end of his physical life to ease his pain), i am aware of the medicinal affects.
colesmommy1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #19
JoshG_528hz
Avalon Senior Member

I smoked marijuana every day for about 5 years. Based on what I have experienced, the effects of cannabis on the mind are dependent upon the state of mind at the time. It's like a magnification of how your mind is currently 'wired' or operating. If I feel like a creative genius at the time of smoking, I feel like more of a creative genius after smoking - my mind is steady and peaceful. If I'm in a dull, worrysome, stressful, or isolated state of mind at the time of smoking, my mind will constantly move around in all the wrong directions, thus draining my energy.
Recently, I have only been smoking only once or twice a month. I have not noticed a significant difference in memory recall or the overall function of the mind to 'think'. The only major difference I notice between smoking a lot and smoking a little is the ability to live and think "in the now", which is easier to do while stoned (for me).

Another major contributor to the effect marijuana has on the mind is the environment. I pay a good amount of attention to the ever-changing energy of my current place of being. After smoking marijuana, I've noticed I am more sensitive to the energy or feelings given off by the people around me. During periods of a positive mindset, I am affected on a lesser level. When stressed or worrisome, the energy given off by emotions and feelings have a more significant affect (in rare cases an uncontrollable effect) on me and I can be annoyed or irritated easily.

Overall, my opinion (based on experience) is that marijuana only affects the mind in ways that it is allowed to (or how you let it). Marijuana effects all people in different ways, which is one of the reasons I believe it magnifies or manipulates one's current state of mind, one's personality, or one's thought-process.

Peace. Love.
JoshG_528hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #20
2012survivor
Avalon Senior Member

I would make another question for anyone smoker, Did anyone realize of loosing to remember the dreams? I've been smoker since 10 years before and in 5 years before I noticed not able to remember my dreams... Anyone in the same situation?
2012survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #21
paul1972
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012survivor View Post
I would make another question for anyone smoker, Did anyone realize of loosing to remember the dreams? I've been smoker since 10 years before and in 5 years before I noticed not able to remember my dreams... Anyone in the same situation?
As I regular smoker (approx. 10 years) - I totally agree on this -

Paul

ONE love
paul1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #22
ForsakenFalcon
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Seriously I don't belive it's eithen a case of not remembering them while smokeing You simplely dream very very little maybe once a month.

85% of the reason I started to smoke and still do is due to "nightmares" when I sleep while completely off it on a regular base's. However on it now I dream very very little though I do still get them just not very often though when I get them I know I recived them =/
ForsakenFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #23
uboslav
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Very interesting. I could not for the life of me remember dreams when I was a heavy smoker. I knew I was having dreams but I could not remember any of them. When I started sleeping with orgonite and surrounded myself with orgone or chi energy, that's when all my dreams kicked into high gear.
It was nice that I didn't have to quit smoking weed to remember my dreams. Now that I have quit, I seem to remember my dreams a little better even without orgonite nearby.
It is odd that marijuana hinders ones ability to consciously remember their dreams. i would love to hear exactly how that works. I need some sort of a David Wilcock explanation or something
uboslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:09 AM   #24
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

I must note that for the past month or so, I have been experiencing what I call a series of "good weeks".

I have chronic depression and I have never taken anti-depressants. However, I have tried to cut back on junk food and limit my consumption of alcohol. I enjoy blueberries and chocolate of course but I do not over-induldge on either.

I have smoked marijuana in the past and if I tend to smoke more than usual, I go into what I consider to be deep trances where time becomes slower and my mind seems to reach heights that aren't possible without the chemical enhancement. Of course, this is called hallucinating.

Just wanted to point this out. I think that I've stumbled upon neurogenesis by accident by the way of my diet, etc. My depression isn't as severe as it was a few months ago. I still slip back into depression but it doesn't last for long and I seem to rebound quicker. I believe that this depression is hereditary as my brother and father are both on anti-depressants.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:15 AM   #25
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestix View Post
Speak for yourself.
Basically, this research kind of debunks the idea that smoking weed kills brain cells.

I say it depends on the person and how much they smoke. I know some people are very smart, very brilliant but they cannot kick their weed habit long enough to do something with the talent they have.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote