PDA

View Full Version : First they came for the illegal immigrants & i didn't speak up

wynderer
28th December 2010, 19:45
for all in the USA -- what is being done to the illegal immigrants in our country is legal for everyone under the Patriot Act -- the part where any USAmerican citizen can be picked up, detained indefinitely, w/o being told what the charges are, & w/o being allowed to contact an attorney or family members -- also there is a lesser version of 'extraordinary rendition' going on here -- our law enforcement agencies are getting good practice for the future

http://www.projectcensored.org/top-stories/articles/4-ice-operates-secret-detention-and-courts/

ICE Operates Secret Detention and Courts
Top 25 of 2011 Most Censored Stories
Agents of the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) are holding thousands of US residents in unlisted and unmarked subfield offices and deporting tens of thousands in secret court hearings.

“If you don’t have enough evidence to charge someone criminally but you think he’s illegal, we can make him disappear.” Those chilling words were spoken by James Pendergraph, then executive director of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Office of State and Local Coordination, at a conference of police and sheriffs in August 2008.

People are held in a vast network of more than three hundred detention facilities, located in nearly every state in the country. Only a few of these facilities are under the full operational control of ICE—the majority are jails under the control of state and local governments that subcontract with ICE to provide detention bed space. However, ICE has created a network of secret jails designed for confining individuals in transit. These 186 unlisted and unmarked subfield offices are not subject to ICE detention standards, lacking showers, beds, drinking water, soap, toothbrushes, sanitary napkins, mail, attorneys, or legal information. Many of these subfield offices are in suburban office parks or commercial spaces revealing no information about their ICE tenants—nary a sign, a marked car, or even a US flag.

In addition there is a complete lack of a real-time database tracking people in ICE custody, meaning that ICE has created a network of secret jails designed for confining individuals in transit that literally make people disappear. Immigrant detainees can be transferred away from their attorneys at any point in their immigration proceedings, and often are. Detainees can be literally “lost” by their attorneys and family members for days or even weeks after being transferred.

US residents who were held in Southern California suboffice B-18—up to one hundred on any given day—were actually in a revolving stockroom that would shuttle the same people briefly to the local jails, sometimes from 1 to 5 a.m., and then bring them back, shackled to one another, stooped and crouching in overpacked vans. These transfers made it impossible for anyone to know their location, as there would be no notice to attorneys or relatives when people were moved. At times, the B-18 occupants were left overnight, the frigid onslaught of forced air and lack of mattresses or bedding making sleep near impossible.

As one attorney who represents immigration detainees explained, “The transfers are devastating—absolutely devastating. [The detainees] are loaded onto a plane in the middle of the night. They have no idea where they are, no idea what [US] state they are in. I cannot overemphasize the psychological trauma to these people. What it does to their family members cannot be fully captured either. I have taken calls from seriously hysterical family members—incredibly traumatized people—sobbing on the phone, crying out, ‘I don’t know where my son or husband is!’”

ICE agents regularly impersonate civilians—Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) inspectors, insurance agents, religious workers—in order to arrest longtime US residents who have no criminal history. Guatemalans in the Boston area are seeing spies infiltrating factories, buses with tinted windows taking away unidentifiable co-workers, and men with guns grabbing their neighbors. During the summer of 2009, a woman came to the office of Marina Lowe, an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) in Salt Lake City, saying she believed that ICE agents dressing as Mormon missionaries had been to her house. Lowe’s client noticed that the missionaries had lacked the black name tags she’d seen others wear, and had behaved in other ways inconsistent with missionary protocol, including entering her home while her husband was absent. After she confirmed that he lived there, they left. The next day, ICE agents arrived and arrested her husband. In response to a question about whether it was consistent with government policy for ICE agents to impersonate religious workers, an anonymously written ICE e-mail explained that impersonating religious officials is part of “ruse operations” and justified this as a “tool that enhances officer safety.”

You don’t have to go to Iraq or North Korea to find secret courts. Detention centers across the country are restricting public access to immigration courts. The Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), an agency in the Department of Justice charged with managing immigration courts, reported that its judges decided 134,117 deportation cases in 2008, of which 48 percent were for detainees. The individuals facing deportation hearings in these remote sites—far from their families, indigent, and without attorneys—are the most legally fragile population in the country.

Mark Soukup, supervisory detention and deportation officer in Eloy, Arizona, explained that ICE required a background check for anyone entering the immigration courts at Eloy, for which one would need to submit in writing, two weeks in advance, one’s name, date of birth, Social Security number, home address, and the particular hearing one wanted to attend. “The problem is that anyone with a felony or misdemeanor conviction in the last five years can be prohibited to come in for security reasons,” Soukup said.

Lee Gelernt, an American Civil Liberties Union attorney, found the two-week prescreening policy unacceptable: “It is critical that the public and press have access to immigration proceedings to ensure that the proceedings are conducted fairly and consistent with due process principles. It is absolutely unlawful for the DHS [Department of Homeland Security] to place unreasonable restrictions on access to immigration court.”

Update by Jacqueline Stevens
I have been writing for the Nation magazine, as well as on my blog States Without Nations, about unlawful and largely secret detention and removal operations by agencies within the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Justice (DOJ). My research on US citizens in ICE custody has been reported in the San Francisco Chronicle, the Charlotte Observer, CNN (online), the Huffington Post, and Mother Jones, among other publications, and I have been interviewed for National Public Radio’s Latino USA, Public Radio International’s The World, WNYC’s The Leonard Lopate Show, Democracy Now!, and the Henry Raines Show in Tampa Bay, Florida.

My articles have sparked some responses among local activists as well as journalists. For instance, in January an immigrant rights group in Grand Junction, Colorado, paid a visit to an address from a list of subfield offices I obtained through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. In a memorandum, the group wrote that the building they located was “in the industrial section of Grand Junction [and] is non-descript with no signs identifying it as government office or ICE facility.” (An agent said the absence of a sign was because of budget cuts.) For more on this, see http://stateswithoutnations.blogspot.com/2010/01/neighbors-visit-ice-office- in-grand.html.

One policy consequence of investigations into ICE detaining and deporting US citizens appears to be a November 2009 policy requiring agents to report claims of US citizenship to a special ICE email address. I submitted a FOIA request for this e-mail correspondence and was informed of four thousand pages of documents. I have recently received the first hundred pages and am appealing redactions. Clearly ICE’s detention of US citizens continues to be a problem.

I am presently conducting research on unlawful actions taken by immigration judges. This research has proven difficult because of retaliation against me by top ICE public affairs officers Kelly Nantel and Brian Hale—they unlawfully ordered agents to block my access to ICE facilities around the country. In April, a DHS-contracted guard in Atlanta assaulted me pursuant to an order from William Cassidy, the immigration judge who deported a US citizen. (While I was in a waiting area, Mr. Cassidy told a guard to remove me from the federal building.) I have filed a misconduct complaint; in response Mr. Cassidy’s cronies at the EOIR are not answering questions—documents I have received indicate a cover-up campaign is underway.

Sources:

Jacqueline Stevens, “America’s Secret Ice Castles,” Nation, January 4, 2010, http://www.thenation.com/doc20100104/stevens.

Jacqueline Stevens, “ICE Agents’ Ruse Operations,” Nation, December 17, 2009, http://www.thenation.com/article/ice-agents-ruse-operations.

Jacqueline Stevens, “Secret Courts Exploit Immigrants,” Nation, June 16, 2009, http://www.thenation.com/article/secret-courts-exploit-immigrants.

Human Rights Watch, “Locked Up Far Away, The Transfer of Immigrants to Remote Detention Centers in the United States,” December 2, 2009, www.hrw.org/node/86789.

Ahkenaten
28th December 2010, 20:48
An old friend of mine was picked up almost two years ago in NYC on a minor charge and was found to not have proper identification and was transferred to a big prison mill in Texas while supposedly homeland security was looking into the legality of his immigration status. There he remains today, his situation unresolved due to paperwork issues..............his marriage license proving his legal status cannot be located. He has not been charged and is being held indefinitely. He has no money or access to legal help, he has been separated from his family and has no idea whatsoever if, or when he will be released, or if he will be deported to his country of birth. There appears to be nothing that can be done for him. It is a terrible situation.

Robstar
28th December 2010, 20:50
That is what i keep telling everyone here in Texas.
But no one wants to hear it. The government is already using the next level of police state on illegal and even Hispanic US citizens (by default).
Next stop is YOU (U.S CITIZEN!)

Ahkenaten
28th December 2010, 20:58
Because so many of these prisons are privately owned and operated profit-making enterprises that many of our elected officials and former elected officials are board members, stockholders and contribution recipients of - they are pretty much unregulated. This is the prison planet Alex Jones has been ranting about, with some justification, for years now. From their point of view, incarcerating more and more of us (with a per diem dollar on each of our heads translating into profits) is GOOD FOR BUSINESS! It is taking the Nazi concentration model to the MAX. Add to that that from what I have been able to determine, these "prison camps" are actually WORK camps where the inmates are forced to work manufacturing metal furniture or other stuff that the Corporation then sells - also for a profit considering it is FREE LABOR.

Alex Jones is right about this trend -- it is a menace. And the so-called legality underpinning it all is a gigantic treat to all of our liberties because it provides TPTB an absolute carte blanche to incarcerate any one of us, without charges (habeaus corpus has been suspended) indefinitely.

Add to that the continually increasing pressure and conditioning on the populance to accept, unquestioningly, strict social controls and invasive and intrusive governmental searches - all in the name of "protecting us"....................

We are the proverbial frogs in the pot on the stove, folks. The water has been gradually turned up over the years though many have failed to notice - it is reaching the boiling point.

irishspirit
28th December 2010, 21:11
An old friend of mine was picked up almost two years ago in NYC on a minor charge and was found to not have proper identification and was transferred to a big prison mill in Texas while supposedly homeland security was looking into the legality of his immigration status. There he remains today, his situation unresolved due to paperwork issues..............his marriage license proving his legal status cannot be located. He has not been charged and is being held indefinitely. He has no money or access to legal help, he has been separated from his family and has no idea whatsoever if, or when he will be released, or if he will be deported to his country of birth. There appears to be nothing that can be done for him. It is a terrible situation.

For what it is worth, I am sending much love and prayers to your friend.

I sure hope that he is re-united with his family before long.

Ahkenaten
28th December 2010, 21:40
Thanks Irish Spirit he needs all the prayers he can get. I really can't believe this has happened to him. There is NOTHING that can be done for him, he is in the clutches of a nightmare. He is a good and gentle person and never committed any crime that deserves punishment such as this.

irishspirit
28th December 2010, 21:43
Thanks Irish Spirit he needs all the prayers he can get. I really can't believe this has happened to him. There is NOTHING that can be done for him, he is in the clutches of a nightmare. He is a good and gentle person and never committed any crime that deserves punishment such as this.

The problem is, with the current control system, you do not need to commit a crime to end uop how your friend is.

But be assured, one day, he will be returned to his family. One day he shall be a free man again.

Until that day, stay strong for his family and be there for them, and remember, they can take his body, but they cannot take his spirit, the real him.

Ahkenaten
28th December 2010, 21:49
I know Irish but we have cried many tears about this situation. He is as much as in a Concentration Camp. It is heartbreaking to receive his letters and his calls. He is being very brave and does not complain. The "crime" he was picked up for was a pedestrian misdemeanor............ something like jay-walking. He never has been charged with his "crime." The larger "crime" is the ambiguity of his legal status, compounded by administrative errors and shoddy record-keeping. Unbelievable. BUT on the positive side - HE IS MAKING MONEY FOR SOMEBODY. It is all about money, unfortunately - NOT as we are led to believe, about "national security."

irishspirit
28th December 2010, 21:54
I couldn't agree more. If people think it is about national security, they are deluded. I don't think it is about the money either now. I think that is is about the control and the power. It is about controlling the man, enslaving the man.

I am sorry that your friend, and by default, you are experiencing this.

Ahkenaten
28th December 2010, 22:02
Thanks Irish - these people are really turning up the heat on every front. I do think that the fact that some "entrepreneurs" make money off the various scenarios ("security systems" - the fact that Michael Chertoff profits from the airport scanners is a case in point, optical technologies; information systems, the prisons themselves, not to mention the entire military industrial complex) plays a huge role with unprincipled and narrow-thinking policy makers and government officials moving through the revolving door to the Corporate Sector. I once had the opportunity to question someone I knew who worked at a major defense contracting firm how he felt about being involved day to day in activities that were measurably degrading the environment to the point that his own grandchildren's ability to live might be compromised............amazingly, he answered me that he "would not be around to see it." Frankly this kind of short-sightedness and narrow-minded self interest (i.e. woopdie-doo! I can buy another time-share in Cabo San Lucas, etc) is a gigantic part of what is killing us.

Unless people wake up and begin to see our interconnectedness and that, contrary to some of the western cultural assumptions that have been exploited so long to amass money and power for the very few at the expense of the many - we are NOT engaged in an all-out life-or-death battle against Nature!! We must entrain and reconnect ourselves with the forces of nature in order to survive and thrive!

Carmody
28th December 2010, 22:04
In Nazi Germany the fascists put a certain percentage of the population into jails and used them as a work force..and forced to manufacture and produce 85% of the NAZI military's soft goods.

In the USA, after the fascists and the banks financed the Nazi's in the first place and got their investment back.. in the form of importing vast numbers of Nazi's and Nazi scientists. the same skull & bones/cia/nazi bankers/Illuminati/Freemason crew..that crew has managed to do everything in their power get..now..at this time....in the USA..the same percentage of the population in the jails..and manufacturing ...that wanted 85% of the US military's soft goods. Be it enforced corporate work or enforced government work.

Ahkenaten
28th December 2010, 22:11
In Nazi Germany the fascists put a certain percentage of the population into jails and used them as a work force..and forced to manufacture and produce 85% of the NAZI military's soft goods.

In the USA, after the fascists and the banks financed the Nazi's in the first place and got their investment back.. in the form of importing vast numbers of Nazi's and Nazi scientists. the same skull & bones/cia/nazi bankers/Illuminati/Freemason crew..that crew has managed to do everything in their power get..now..at this time....in the USA..the same percentage of the population in the jails..and manufacturing ...that wanted 85% of the US military's soft goods. Be it enforced corporate work or enforced government work.

And I am willing to bet, though I have never read anything to confirm this, that the concentration camp/work camp model was a major factor in the Nazis' "miraculous" turn-around in the WWII era German economy! Who can argue that zero labor costs (or almost that) didn't help boost the bottom line? And in the case of our present system - as one cynic put it - we make money all the way 'round, including what we charge the GOVERNMENT as a per diem rate for each of the prisoners!! This diabolical system therefor is even more profitable - but clearly the simultaneous looting on the other end exceeds the ability of the system to rake in the massive profits all the way round forever - the whole thing is cracking at the seams and inevitably it WILL fall!

Carmody
28th December 2010, 22:34
the same fascists started the zero tolerance drug laws, be it democratic, (Rockefeller NY state-70's) or Republican (Regan war on drugs-80's)

What they got:

--massive financing and expansion of the police forces and surveillance programs.

--Massive financing AND privatization of the prison systems. (profit system and outside of government oversight and scrutiny)

--free labor for major corporations tied to government through the military system of awarded contracts. (profit system and outside of government oversight and scrutiny)

--the creation of the DEA to move CIA drugs and money around for the financing of skull & bones black ops programs. (profit system and outside of government oversight and scrutiny)

All of this done literally on the backs of the public, in all ways.

Part of my point is that people n the USA think that they would not be capable of living in a fascist state like the Nazi's had without noticing...... and how could the Germans fall for it? So may people in prison systems and camps, working for the war machine!!

Well guess what, the people in the USA are living that exact same nightmare and just like the Germans....they did not... and are not noticing.

gryphynsclaw
28th December 2010, 22:57
Well guess what, the people in the USA are living that exact same nightmare and just like the Germans....they did not... and are not noticing.

The problem is not noticing, it is the vast propaganda machine stifling, mocking and silencing those that do notice and try to speak out about it.
Keep the population (s) looking someplace else and fighting with each other and they can/have gotten away with what a reasonable person would consider insanity.

Brad

Ahkenaten
29th December 2010, 14:52
Yeah I agree gryphynsclaw - and those activities include spending time and money infiltrating and disrupting conversations on blogs even like this one to keep people confused and spinning. I have noticed over the past few months an influx of some unusual posters in this Forum. I am all for free exchange of ideas but you really have to wonder about the motivations of some of the people that post but of course that is always true anywhere.............................but I really can't stand trolls.......

Celine
29th December 2010, 15:00
You are not deaf

You are not blind

You are rising to the cause

You are the heart

You determine the rhythm of life

They have to expend enormous amounts of energy to manipulate You.

They have very little trust in anyone therefore their actions are always suspect

They have zero power over the american heart.

They use old strategies and are no longer hidden

They are not winning

We must sleep no more

We will awaken to the world we were promised.

We are strong together

We will not live in their darkness anymore

We are Love

KosmicKat
29th December 2010, 18:21
And I am willing to bet, though I have never read anything to confirm this, that the concentration camp/work camp model was a major factor in the Nazis' "miraculous" turn-around in the WWII era German economy! ...
Although I don't remember where, I remember reading somewhere recently that China is doing something similar; prisoners are used as forced labor to supply businesses like tramlaw, both undermining the economic strength of the U.S. and boosting the strength of the Chinese economy.

gryphynsclaw
29th December 2010, 19:12
Yeah I agree gryphynsclaw - and those activities include spending time and money infiltrating and disrupting conversations on blogs even like this one to keep people confused and spinning. I have noticed over the past few months an influx of some unusual posters in this Forum. I am all for free exchange of ideas but you really have to wonder about the motivations of some of the people that post but of course that is always true anywhere.............................but I really can't stand trolls.......

We used to have a saying in the 70's "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you"

Being a new person here myself, I can understand how (as I am sure some of my posts have come across) new people are not perceived in the light they post in. If I chose, the last 2 lines of your post I could take to be a questioning of my motives, or I could see it as a common ground fishing trip. But, I choose to see it as a statement of open consideration you have. Which is interesting, because of the threads I seem to be drawn to at the moment paranoia is somewhat of a motivating factor for all involved. We as a people feel helpless with the world around us and things that are being done by people who are only self interested. We like or want to believe the fairy tale about bad things not happening to good people, we want to be able to control our own destiny. But even if you take the power brokers pulling the strings out of the equation, much of society is so afraid they are willing to pass stupid laws and give up what small amount of control they do have.

Then IMO the people who cheer at their own lower levels, that seriously believe hurting others, cheating, stealing and killing are traits to be proud of are doing far more harm to the entire human conscious then some alien brain sucker or fat cat manipulator.

Brad

wynderer
29th December 2010, 23:54
thank you, everyone, for responding -- it helps so much to know that i am not alone in my concern re the creeping fascism in our country [& in other parts of the world -- tho we are pretty much fascist virgins in the USA -- many other parts of the world have lived thru, or are already living thru what is growing here in the USA] --Akhenaten, i am so sorry for your friend & his family -- you put a personal face on what is happening to many others, alone & forgotten

Celine, especially thanks to you -- your post is beautifully written , & is a message that i need to remind myself of

Ahkenaten
30th December 2010, 00:53
We used to have a saying in the 70's "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you"

Being a new person here myself, I can understand how (as I am sure some of my posts have come across) new people are not perceived in the light they post in. If I chose, the last 2 lines of your post I could take to be a questioning of my motives, or I could see it as a common ground fishing trip. But, I choose to see it as a statement of open consideration you have. Which is interesting, because of the threads I seem to be drawn to at the moment paranoia is somewhat of a motivating factor for all involved. We as a people feel helpless with the world around us and things that are being done by people who are only self interested. We like or want to believe the fairy tale about bad things not happening to good people, we want to be able to control our own destiny. But even if you take the power brokers pulling the strings out of the equation, much of society is so afraid they are willing to pass stupid laws and give up what small amount of control they do have.

Then IMO the people who cheer at their own lower levels, that seriously believe hurting others, cheating, stealing and killing are traits to be proud of are doing far more harm to the entire human conscious then some alien brain sucker or fat cat manipulator.

Brad

I wasn't referring to you when I went off about trolls ------- it is just that I have noticed some new tones coming in and they feel like trolls to me. Sorry! And having come from working in politics the saying just because your are paranoid, etc. has been tattooed into my brain!

gryphynsclaw
30th December 2010, 15:11
I wasn't referring to you when I went off about trolls ------- it is just that I have noticed some new tones coming in and they feel like trolls to me. Sorry! And having come from working in politics the saying just because your are paranoid, etc. has been tattooed into my brain!

No problems, I was not sure, but knew it would work out if you had been.

Brad