PDA

View Full Version : The Windowfarms Project

Productivemind
11th April 2010, 17:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkCuPrsPn_I

I stumbled upon this video and thought it was a wonderful idea. We have 5 acres to grow things on, but in the winter months, we can't grow, so this would really be useful. Just thought I'd share this with yall.

haibane
11th April 2010, 17:57
Nice. Thanks for posting. I think I'd be a bit careful about feeding the veggies and herbs with the nutrients which come bottled from a grow shop, and also I'd prefer natural sunlight to LEDs, but then again, if we have to move underground, then this is the thing to have, right?

heyokah
11th April 2010, 18:09
Well, Thank you for sharing this !! It's a wonderful idea for us town people.... a windowfarm .
Let's hope there will always be daylight....I don't want to move underground:confused:

lisa
12th April 2010, 00:06
Their website with more info & "How-to" manuals: http://www.windowfarms.org/

Productivemind
12th April 2010, 00:18
I'm glad that y'all have found this interesting. My hubby-to-be has been working on a water pump all day that will provide water to our home and gardens, and the best thing is that it works without electricity. I'm excited. I'll share the plans with everyone once it's done.

Solphilos
12th April 2010, 01:01
This is an excellent idea, and I already grow hydroponically, but this is very innovative. If you've never worked with hydroponics, don't be intimidated, it's easy! It's also probably the only way to provide a bountiful harvest of fresh veggies and herbs in such a small space as a window. Nothing like fresh organic food picked right from the kitchen window! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to start working on this asap.

Productivemind
12th April 2010, 01:34
Solphilos, I love your mayan signature! I am glad that others are interested in trying this, as I am. I realize that many people don't have a place to grow food in an outdoor garden, as I'm fortunate enough to be able to, so in an effort to help others, I try to share things I find useful to humanity.

Ventana
12th April 2010, 01:47
Thanks for the posting. A great idea for apartment-dwellers. Of course, there are many "herb growers" that have probably already mastered hydroponics, minus the windows;)

Solphilos
12th April 2010, 14:03
Thanks for the posting. A great idea for apartment-dwellers. Of course, there are many "herb growers" that have probably already mastered hydroponics, minus the windows;)

And when they get put out of business by the law or local mafia's, they can simply move their equipment to the window and grow tomatoes! lol.

Solphilos
12th April 2010, 14:10
Solphilos, I love your mayan signature! I am glad that others are interested in trying this, as I am. I realize that many people don't have a place to grow food in an outdoor garden, as I'm fortunate enough to be able to, so in an effort to help others, I try to share things I find useful to humanity.

Thank you.
Same here. I have a relatively small property, but still have plenty of room to provide myself with enough food to at least supplement my needs. Ideas such as these have enormous potential,
not only for those without gardening space, but to show people just how economic gardening can be. Little space is no issue with proper understanding of horticulture and a little landscaping skill.

This reminds me of a story I read last year, I wish I could find the article, but it was about a man in California who turned his small residential property into a small farm capable of feeding his family and more. The space was tiny, but planting everything close together and on trellises, he was able to take an average sized backyard and produce enough to feed him, his family, and even extras which he would sell in his local community. He has a website, and on there he posted a list of all of the plants that he and his family grows in one year, and I gasped when I read through the list. My property is larger than his, and I was only able to fill mine with about 3% of what he was growing!

Samarkis
12th April 2010, 14:47
OMG!!!! THIS IS AWESOMES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will start passing info to local teachers,etc!!! This is so easy, so practical!!!
You have all made my day!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Light!!!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z299/Samarkis/lotus3N.jpg

samvado
12th April 2010, 14:57
I stumbled upon this video and thought it was a wonderful idea. We have 5 acres to grow things on, but in the winter months, we can't grow, so this would really be useful. Just thought I'd share this with yall.

this is just GREAT! I love it.

Black Panther
8th December 2011, 16:59
I've found this video about Windowfarms, but there
is already a thread about it. I think it's a great idea
and I like the concept Research & Develop It Yourself.
Then we don't need Monsanto anymore to to do R&D.

I have a veggie garden myself, but growing your own food in
the wintertime is very difficult.

This is a presentation of Britta Riley about the Windowfarms:

YhvfOlPYifY