PDA

View Full Version : Up Where We Belong

Smell the Roses
24th January 2018, 18:22
:sun:The song "Up Where We Belong" as sung by Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes was playing in the grocery store the other day (lyrics below). I hadn't heard it for a long time. Songs that are from that era I can easily identify as having come out before or after June 1983, because of a traumatic event that happened to me that month. This one I knew must have come out before June 1983, since I recalled feelings of happiness and positivity associated with hearing it on the radio and playing it for my piano lesson.

The lyrics spoke to me so clearly this week. It's all about living in the present and loving the moment and those around you. What a beautiful song! I found the sheet music and played it again this morning for the first time in decades. I did not realize that Buffy Ste Marie was one of the songwriters.

I realized that it's taken me over thirty years to decide to rejoin the world again. Thank you everyone on the Project Avalon forum for helping me through it.

https://youtu.be/M8sFtJV6-C8

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M8sFtJV6-C8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Up Where We Belong

Who knows what tomorrow brings
In a world few hearts survive
All I know is the way I feel
When it's real, I keep it alive
The road is long
There are mountains in our way
But we climb a step every day

Love lift us up where we belong
Where the eagles cry
On a mountain high
Far from the world below
Up where the clear winds blow

Some hang on to used to be
Live their lives looking behind
All we have is here and now
All our lives, out there to find
The road is long
There are mountains in our way
But we climb a step every day

Where the eagles cry
On a mountain high
Far from the world we know
Where the clear winds blow

Time goes by
No time to cry
Life's you and I
Alive today

Where the eagles cry
On a mountain high
Far from the world we know
Where the clear winds blow
Where the eagles cry
On a mountain high

Songwriters: Jack Nitzsche / Buffy Saint-Marie / Will Jennings

Patient
24th January 2018, 20:03
Music is amazing - when you hear a song that lifts you like you just had is an awesome experience. Thank you for posting this - I use music often to help energize myself. It is good to remind people sometimes because we get so busy and distracted at times! 😃

Valerie Villars
25th January 2018, 14:07
Music has saved my life over and over. It goes far beyond just healing and can actually help you transcend. There are other things it does that I can't really explain. I just experienced it and can't put it into words.

If we are mostly water, think of the power of words and music when water is exposed to that which has high spiritual value.

I always loved the tongue in cheek aspect of blues as a way of helping me transcend the troubles of this world. And Rhythm and Blues is the best high energy ever. I used to go to a place called Ruby's Roadhouse every Friday and Saturday and they had the most amazing bands there. I would dance and dance and dance. I loved it.

Smell the Roses
26th January 2018, 03:28
Music has saved my life over and over. It goes far beyond just healing and can actually help you transcend. There are other things it does that I can't really explain. I just experienced it and can't put it into words.

If we are mostly water, think of the power of words and music when water is exposed to that which has high spiritual value.

I always loved the tongue in cheek aspect of blues as a way of helping me transcend the troubles of this world. And Rhythm and Blues is the best high energy ever. I used to go to a place called Ruby's Roadhouse every Friday and Saturday and they had the most amazing bands there. I would dance and dance and dance. I loved it.

Sounds like fun! Music used to be a huge part of my life, but I have allowed it to take a lower priority. Time to move it back up the priority list! My piano is out of tune, so time to call the piano tuner!

Valerie Villars
26th January 2018, 22:36
My Aunt Ione has sung and played the piano, with a metronome, every day of her life. I just saw her recently and she has the skin, energy and life of a 40 year old. She is in her 80's. I am sure the music is the reason.