PDA

View Full Version : We're Doomed As A Species - Media Manipulation

Ascension
27th September 2018, 22:00
This is about manipulation, not the story itself.

I won't even soil this forum with a link to the AP news article "Will the Kavanaugh-Ford hearing be a where-were-you moment?" which is linked to by Drudge under the title "NATION GRIPPED..."

I thought I was past the point where mainstream news articles make me nauseous.

I didn't read the story, but noticed the image is something reminiscent of the last supper. Yes, by all means, let's make this a religious experience as well as a partisan issue as well a gender issue. We'll suck you in somehow.

[Oh, all right. I need to provide the link. Please don't give it a hit though. https://apnews.com/3cf1d4af8fa344f49877a04fc721961c/Will-the-Kavanaugh-Ford-hearing-be-a-where-were-you-moment?]

Helene West
28th September 2018, 01:09
hmmm, last supper? I understand what you're getting at but for me it symbolizes to what degree of secular we have become.
I'm not advocating church going every sunday Christianity like much of america was decades ago but when as a nation we started rejecting christianity we didn't replace it with anything except possibly Hollywood. Instead of going to church on sunday we watched tv or movies.
Not exactly a subsitute that could give us comfort, protection or emotional strength against this type of depravity, if anything it has softened us up to expect and accept it.

Ascension
28th September 2018, 02:01
Not exactly a subsitute that could give us comfort, protection or emotional strength against this type of depravity, if anything it has softened us up to expect and accept it.

Yes, exactly- more softening. This whole charade is a non-issue. Kavanaugh will be confirmed (actually, either way, the decision has already been made), and the drama surrounding this is the usual media entertainment paraded as something requiring serious debate. Government officials already know the extent to which compromising situations are used against individuals. This is a show... just for our consumption. Thank you media.

Since the issue itself might be contentious for certain religious groups, what better way to pull them in to the non-story then by subliminally connecting church and state.

I may be way off-base here - not the first time. The outrageous headlines simply struck me as completely blown out of proportion with the added bonus of a religious cherry on top. The issue about Kavanaugh's credentials is one thing. This drawing people into this soap-opera is completely another, and par for the course.

David Trd1
28th September 2018, 05:17

Yes, exactly- more softening. This whole charade is a non-issue. Kavanaugh will be confirmed (actually, either way, the decision has already been made), and the drama surrounding this is the usual media entertainment paraded as something requiring serious debate. Government officials already know the extent to which compromising situations are used against individuals. This is a show... just for our consumption. Thank you media.

Since the issue itself might be contentious for certain religious groups, what better way to pull them in to the non-story then by subliminally connecting church and state.

I may be way off-base here - not the first time. The outrageous headlines simply struck me as completely blown out of proportion with the added bonus of a religious cherry on top. The issue about Kavanaugh's credentials is one thing. This drawing people into this soap-opera is completely another, and par for the course.

I certainly concur, what's happening in the left hand is what I wonder...wonder indeed!

Cognitive Dissident
28th September 2018, 13:38

THIS, as they say on the internet. I find it amazing to see so many people taking sides in quite a passionate way, without realising that it's just a soap opera. It's all about the drama. Really amazing.

But, on the larger point, I don't think we are doomed as a species because of media manipulation. What is striking is the sheer amount of effort which has to go into this manipulation to get this result. It is not as if this can happen every day.

I think more and more people are seeing through the manipulation and the hype, or just getting bored with it. So paradoxically what's happening with this drama overload is perhaps a necessary and positive stage.

Foxie Loxie
28th September 2018, 14:02
McCarthyism, anyone????:bigsmile: