PDA

View Full Version : Moving Avatars and impossible Usernames

sepia
5th January 2011, 10:16
-------------

Dear Forum-Members, dear Moderators

I have my opinions about a few things on the Forum that I would like to put on the table, just in case I'm not the only one who feels disturbed by these factors.

I don't like moving Avatars: I personally find it absolutely annoying when on my open page the big picture is jumping up and down, running or flying towards me, walking across, blinking, or spinning.

on a stressful day I'm even annoyed by the moving smilies - but I'm willing to take this on me instead of destroying the peoples pleasure with them :)

I find it absolutely confusing when the same Avatar is used by more than one person.

It is my strong opinion that a name should be somehow pronounceable.
I don't find names like bbj3n546pt, torzbc, xm15e2, MzVaFf helpful. (Sorry guys!)

I'm really wondering what other people's opinions are about this.

bluestflame
5th January 2011, 10:20
can be a tad distracting i agree

norman
5th January 2011, 10:31
I think, in most browsers, you can turn off moving gifs.

I agree about the unpronounceable user names.

xm15e2
5th January 2011, 10:35
lots of things disract many people in different ways, i think sometimes a distraction might be better to the alternative, if we continue to becomeing distracted over things that dont matter than what does and why are we here, topics like this have a domino effect, my actual name was already taken, sometimes peoples personal messages are distracting but i personally do not care, its them, not me, i dont know them and wouldnt want to interfere with there personal energies bye pointing that out, but if people disagree i will gladly change it

Banshee
5th January 2011, 10:46
-------------

Dear Forum-Members, dear Moderators

I have my opinions about a few things on the Forum that I would like to put on the table, just in case I'm not the only one who feels disturbed by these factors.

I don't like moving Avatars: I personally find it absolutely annoying when on my open page the big picture is jumping up and down, running or flying towards me, walking across, blinking, or spinning.

on a stressful day I'm even annoyed by the moving smilies - but I'm willing to take this on me instead of destroying the peoples pleasure with them :)

I find it absolutely confusing when the same Avatar is used by more than one person.

It is my strong opinion that a name should be somehow pronounceable.
I don't find names like bbj3n546pt, torzbc, xm15e2, MzVaFf helpful. (Sorry guys!)

I'm really wondering what other people's opinions are about this.

As much as I find the cocky little strutting tiger avatar annoying (without naming names) and as completely difficult as it is to read the baby blue print some seem to adore, I am more interested in content and of course, freedom of choice. I rarely look at names and since I gave up reading out loud at 4, I really don't need to pronounce their "names".

morguana
5th January 2011, 10:46
yep agree, they make me feel travel sick sometimes, one way is to compleatly turn of avatar mode from the personal settings/general settings (not really the answer tho)

Thread Display Options

* Show Signatures
* Show Avatars
* Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.

m

yaksuit
5th January 2011, 10:49
I am in total agreement with you Sepia.

Bill Ryan
5th January 2011, 11:06
---------

I 100% agree.

My request to the mods (I'm not really the boss, you know!) :)

Please change the light baby blue color of the new members - the names simply can't be read on a white background.
Usernames should be pronounceable, and in my opinion should mean something - even though they may be very abstract. (Like Yaksuit! But I can remember that, spell it, say it, and it conjures up an interesting mental image.)
Moving Avatars should be disabled. Like these!

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/images/avatars/avatar_1912.gif

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/customavatars/avatar64_3.gif

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/images/avatars/avatar_17434.gif

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/customavatars/avatar175_3.gif

No duplicate Avatars. In cases where there are duplicates already (some are used by as many as four different people), we can ask the later arrivals to kindly change.
Some Usernames are near-duplicates as well, which is not the new member's fault - they don't know what's already been chosen. An example is Nenuphar/Nenufar - two different people. We also have Baron/Barron, and Billiam/billym. There are other instances.
My personal beef: no signatures. In my view they're a waste of space and attention in long, complex threads - like the new ones about Charles. Though - new members please note - viewing them they can be turned on/off as a default in the member's control panel.

yaksuit
5th January 2011, 11:19
---------

I 100% agree.

My request to the mods (I'm not really the boss, you know!) :)[INDENT][INDENT]
[LIST]
Please change the light baby blue color of the new members - the names simply can't be read on a white background.
Usernames should be pronounceable, and in my opinion should mean something - even though they may be very abstract. (Like Yaksuit! But I can remember that, spell it, say it, and it conjures up an interesting mental image.)

i may as well explain what yaksuit means to me :)

in the mid 90's a friend of mine was feeling very down.....i said to him "i guess i could go design and wear a one piece yaksuit with salami knee pads, that might cheer you up"
it did cheer him up and the word stuck.

good suggestions Bill in regards to user profiles

The Truth Is In There
5th January 2011, 11:20
i'm all for total control. stop individualism if it annoys others. remove moving pictures, give yourself a proper name, use a spell checker and for god's sake start your sentences with a capital letter!

lightblue
5th January 2011, 11:22
As much as I hate the cocky little strutting tiger avatar (without naming names) and as completely difficult as it is to read the baby blue print some seem to adore, I am more interested in content and of course, freedom of choice. I rarely look at names and since I gave up reading out loud at 4, I really don't need to pronounce their "names".

i cringe at the mention of banshee:

The Banshee (pronounced /ˈbænʃiː/, BAN-shee), from the Irish bean sídhe [bʲæn ˈʃiː] ("woman of the síde" or "woman of the fairy mounds") is a female spirit in Irish mythology, usually seen as an omen of death and a messenger from the Otherworld. Her Scottish counterpart is the bean shìth (also spelled bean-shìdh).

but i smile anyway...:)

at the very mention of SEPIA i see tentacles of a large octopus - makes me think of NWO...i also see colour BROWN - most unappealing, but i smile all the same because i think i may be wrong as it's someone elses' chooice and the person behind it must be a good human being ...

you carry on hating, i keep happy anyway...

i bet you wouldn't be able to pronounce my christian name and surname to save your lives, but i don't worry...i won't change it for anyone's convenience...i feel sorry for you lot...sincerely :) l

morguana
5th January 2011, 11:26
i'm all for total control. stop individualism if it annoys others. remove moving pictures, give yourself a proper name, use a spell checker and for god's sake start your sentences with a capital letter!

its not about control its about the members viewing the forum, as i have just explained as has bill that the avatars can be switched off but its not really the way forward, i happen to like the avatars most use on the forum, but moving ones can be a bit hard to look at especially ones that spin or cycle
just a personal thing
m

ps have always liked the lion cub walking tho :)

yaksuit
5th January 2011, 11:28

communication perhaps requires "compromise"

xm15e2
5th January 2011, 11:33
k i tried changeing my name for a half hour now, and searched the faqs, i said id change it, so please tell me how, prime example on what i meant before, iv now wasted more time on the best forum on the internet over unimportant things than everyone combined has interacted with me my first few days here, some people need to realize most people new here are still EXTREMELY skeptical of what they have to say to begin with, youd honestly think, here more than anywhere, people would be more insterested in knowing whos really here and has to bring instead of worrying about a name you cant pronounce, that your typing not saying, is this really avalons future?the little things that dont matter and i shouldnt be wasteing my time on, whats next no questions that dont have an obvious answer that doesnt distract

Banshee
5th January 2011, 11:33

The Banshee (pronounced /ˈbænʃiː/, BAN-shee), from the Irish bean sídhe [bʲæn ˈʃiː] ("woman of the síde" or "woman of the fairy mounds") is a female spirit in Irish mythology, usually seen as an omen of death and a messenger from the Otherworld. Her Scottish counterpart is the bean shìth (also spelled bean-shìdh).

at the very mention of SEPIA i see tentacles of a large octopus - makes me think of NWO...i also see colour BROWN - most unappealing, but i smile all the same because i think i may be wrong as it's someone elses' chooice and the person behind it must be a good human being ...

i bet you wouldn't be able to pronounce my christian name and surname to save your lives, but i don't worry...i won't change it for anyone's convenience...i feel sorry for you lot...sincerely :) l

Hang on. Read my post again. I don't like your cocky little tiger, but I defend your right to use it!!!

Celine
5th January 2011, 11:45
I think, in most browsers, you can turn off moving gifs.

I agree about the unpronounceable user names.

How? and does this work for linux too?

---------

No duplicate Avatars. In cases where there are duplicates already (some are used by as many as four different people), we can ask the later arrivals to kindly change.

With so many new users ..the choice of Avatars to use is limited. Perhaps as they go to senior Member they could be asked to choose a personal one?

Would you like a cup of tea with that cookie?

I can relate to that. One of my pet peeves is hearing my name miss pronounced... so i end up with nick names. Thank you for your positive outlook

k i tried changeing my name for a half hour now, and searched the faqs, i said id change it, so please tell me how, prime example on what i meant before, iv now wasted more time on the best forum on the internet over unimportant things than everyone combined has interacted with me my first few days here, some people need to realize most people new here are still EXTREMELY skeptical of what they have to say to begin with, youd honestly think, here more than anywhere, people would be more insterested in knowing whos really here and has to bring instead of worrying about a name you cant pronounce, that your typing not saying, is this really avalons future?the little things that dont matter and i shouldnt be wasteing my time on, whats next no questions that dont have an obvious answer that doesnt distract

Ask a Moderator...and i apologize for this kind of welcome, but we tend to be open about how we feel here.

i tend to begin sentences sometimes without a capital letter. There are reasons for it, my reasons. i don't always use the spell checker sometimes due to laziness other times emotional reaction. Most of these complaints that have been made i agree with for this forum.

IMHO it shows individual personalities good or bad

lightblue
5th January 2011, 11:48
banshee:

Hang on. Read my post again. I don't like your cocky little tiger, but I defend your right to use it!!!

with respect, but i do not need ANYONE to deffend be as i don't feel accused...the moving cub is one of avalon's original gallery of avatars, which is where i found and adoppted it - you see, i am all about moving and movement - it closely represents what i am like....

a propos your advice to read you entry again - I don't feel i need to, i read it carefully enough - was commenting on the your "hate" bit...again, you carry on hating waht ever makes you feel so and i carry on happy regardless..

p.s. i find light blue, fonts included, every time i see it...sorry if this doesn't agree with your likings....best wishes l

yaksuit
5th January 2011, 11:50
banshee:

with respect, but i do not need ANYONE to deffend be as i don't feel accused...the moving cub is one of avalon's original gallry of avatars, which is where i found and adoppted it - you see, i am all about moving and movement - it closely represents what i am like....

a propos your advice to read you entry again - I don't feel i need to, i read it carefully enough - was commenting on the your "hate" bit...again, you carry on hating waht ever makes you feel so and i carry on happy regardless..

p.s. i find light blue, fonts included, every time i see it...sorry if this doesn't agree with your likings....best wishes l

"hate" is the new "dislike" ;)

Anchor
5th January 2011, 11:50
I had a play with the members screen, notepad++ and some regular expressions.

Here are the last 100 people who joined the forum, interestingly all since Dec 23rd.

John White
Sebastasoul
ThePythonicCow
g.k.r
MarkS
charcia1
lizeuleric
Bald
schnurfel
PennyDrop
NinJin
Arupa
slipknoted
Inelia
elizabeth123
zagzig
jsb_swampfox
psyfly
solipsism
timetraveller
latte
synaxis
webyourstuff
daveyc
Anunnaki8
MetalGuru
ovis
FJMcD
GoldenYears
Hypothetical
Kjolsen of Kjolsen
noprophet
Dila
ndroock1
Levent tonga
andrewgreen
namd3
sambience
fergy
peterspm
OmetaOne
bhakti8
OneOfThePeople
gripreaper
Faunus
agentofchange
peter67
goldenprincessca
Arrowwind
GK76
naethai
Fractalius
trenairio
deadfoot
xm15e2
LonR
ruisatriani
billym
blake
buffski
randymaugans
w1ndmill
Dom1noe
silverchimes
Maiden PEI
Chandala
Innerbliss
earthanomaly
Knowrainknowrainbows!
galacticctzn
XGibbo
Ascended
Atticus
Daniel31
proactive1130
FearNot
U N I Sonosinu
anput
enfoldedblue
mnh4mc
pwn_thyself
MOUSE EARS
Tea
ShieldPacal
Sneed
RiverDawg47
noamsh
cacklingmuse
Flash
Galaxy
Awaker.Wanderer9.CN
gryphynsclaw
Mutchie
pscherrer
bbj3n546pt
lihong
Harmoniques
serene

Now, there are not too many names in there that should cause so much problems - are there ?

Some people have had "handles" for a long time, in some cases 20yrs+, and, IMO for these people it is not fun to be asked to change them.

John..

Banshee
5th January 2011, 11:51
banshee:

with respect, but i do not need ANYONE to deffend be as i don't feel accused...the moving cub is one of avalon's original gallery of avatars, which is where i found and adoppted it - you see, i am all about moving and movement - it closely represents what i am like....

Fair enough, I used the word hate. The 33 must be infiltrating my consciousness. I'll change it right away ( the word hate and the infiltration) :)

peace

Carrera
5th January 2011, 11:57
I agree with Sepia. (whose name in fact makes me think of a Bengal-cat! :cool:) I don't think its about control, but making the forum as readable as possible, we have often little time to get all information, and don't need distractions.

Also regarding names. Lets say I wanted to PM a person for some reason. Pesonally I could not remember a name like fx23der3. So how to find the person? There are more than a 1,000 members here, and increasing.

Also when this thread is up: I urge people to write their posts using paragraphs (sections?). Some of us have sight-problems (like me) and reading long post with continuous sentences and "no stop" is very difficult. I often give up, and cant read them at all....

...Just Carrera's point of view..... (and no, its not the car! LOL!)

Banshee
5th January 2011, 12:01
banshee:

[SIZE="3"]with respect, but i do not need ANYONE to deffend be as i don't feel accused....

Not that this thread should continue one second longer (IMHO) but I just wanted to state that when I say " defend your right " I am really speaking globally. Collective you. I strongly dislike social control and censorship. That was the point I was attempting to make. And with so many serious topics on the table.....this seems like a royal waste of time.

Celine
5th January 2011, 12:02
Agreed, this forum is not like others.

i edited my last post 5 times lol. i have no issues making an effort to make things better.

but many here have made good points about "exceptions" to the rules..

The world is not black and white...

Teakai
5th January 2011, 12:02

You are so right, The Truth Is In There. We cannot possibly focus on the survival and spirituality of humanity from fast encroaching fascist rule and total subjugation and god knows what else if we don't control the masses. It's just not on.
Something must be done.
Let's ban everything.
HEIL.

*sigh*
Not feeling very optimistic in regard to humanity's future right now.

Celine
5th January 2011, 12:05
HEIL?? oh come on..

what is that expression..about using a "nazi argument" in an online debate?

i feel free to discuss these opinions here because we can only grow if we are open. So what if we disagree?

yaksuit
5th January 2011, 12:07
You are so right, The Truth Is In There. We cannot possibly focus on the survival and spirituality of humanity from fast encroaching fascist rule and total subjugation and god knows what else if we don't control the masses. It's just not on.
Something must be done.
Let's ban everything.
HEIL.

*sigh*
Not feeling very optimistic in regard to humanity's future right now.

the content, functionality and aesthetic layout of the avalon forum has to be one of the best if not the best i have seen.
i feel the suggestions that have been made are to only maintain a "quality control" not "control"

Celine
5th January 2011, 12:09
Exactly the point i was trying to make..thank you for saying it so well lol.

Banshee
5th January 2011, 12:11
I think this debate is very telling in light of recent revelations. IMHO the focus should be on the real issues (unless we're all completely burned out and berated)

Celine
5th January 2011, 12:16
Well yes i think it is good to vary the subjects...

Been a rough new year so far...

Tigger
5th January 2011, 12:18
I can't believe we are indulging in this distraction. Little wonder that, according to Bill, we are unlikely to deserve any more information from the gang of '33'. For pete's sake, this forum has been given some very important information in recent threads and interviews (thank you very much Bill for your relentless and selfless drive for truth), and yet here we are squabbling over 'Charles', avatars, gifs... :tsk:
Is any of this really demonstrating our maturity to handle higher realms of information?

<end rant> :rant:

p.s. I like my smileys. They're cute. I'm sticking with them to the bitter end! :boxing:

Teakai
5th January 2011, 12:18
HEIL?? oh come on..

what is that expression..about using a "nazi argument" in an online debate?

i feel free to discuss these opinions here because we can only grow if we are open. So what if we disagree?

I don't have any problem at all with disagreeing, Celine. But, if I did, how would you feel about my opinion affecting the freedoms and creative license of others.
That's what's happening here. It's a microcosm of the bigger picture.
Thus my reference to Nazism.

Surely we can all grow without stunting others in the process.

Banshee
5th January 2011, 12:21
I can't believe we are indulging in this distraction. Little wonder that, according to Bill, we are unlikely to deserve any more information from the gang of '33'. For pete's sake, this forum has been given some very important information in recent threads and interviews (thank you very much Bill for your relentless and selfless drive for truth), and yet here we are squabbling over 'Charles', avatars, gifs... :tsk:
Is any of this really demonstrating our maturity to handle higher realms of information?

<end rant> :rant:

p.s. I like my smileys. They're cute. I'm sticking with them to the bitter end! :boxing:

Agreed and I hate to continue this thread, but..... from whence did this "little distraction" come?

Celine
5th January 2011, 12:22
Thats what this thread is... peoples opnions on how to make the PA forum experience better.

It is not personal.

There are no reasons to feel slighted just because another doesnt like moving avatars and you have a moving avatar. (as an example)

i doubt Bill or Sepia or You like me less or more because i choose not to capitalize certain letters.

Banshee
5th January 2011, 12:23
The timing is curious.

Bill Ryan
5th January 2011, 12:23

Hi there - duplication of Avatars isn't 'individualism'! Exactly the opposite. Neither is Nenuphar/Nenufar or Baron/Barron. That's just confusing: and not very 'individual'.

And it's not very helpful to anyone's individuality to have font colors that can't be read on a pale background - though this has been fixed already. (Thanks, Richard!) :)

Re usernames, it's not helpful to have a name that no-one can remember. It hardly helps the member to stand out and be memorable and individual among 1000 people.

Re signatures, a repetitive comment at the end of every post makes it harder to see the unique message that's just been written. And moving Avatars (for some) are distracting. Please understand that I want to make whatever you say more likely to be read and noticed.

Same with spelling and layout. The whole idea of writing clearly is to make one's message easier to understand. Some posts are hard to understand, because they're so badly written: the member doesn't seem to care whether anyone understands them or not.

You can stubbornly refuse to start sentences with a capital letter if you think that makes you more of an individual, but you won't be fooling anyone except yourself!

But I do value language as an artform. I'd rather read Shakespeare than a text message. I'd rather listen to Mozart (or the Beatles) than Sid Vicious. And I'd rather read a well-written, thoughtful forum post than something that looks like someone spent 30 seconds randomly talking across the street at someone before running off to do something more important.

I strongly dislike social control and censorship..

It's not 'social control and censorship' to make something more pleasing to the eye or easier to understand. Ask any filmmaker or writer. They work hard and creatively to make it easier for their message to reach the audience.

When any member makes a post, they are also (temporarily) being a public presenter of information. There is an audience of tens of thousands. Don't you care how you appear? There are ways that work, and ways that do not work so well. This is the point.

If anyone thinks that I'm some kind of mindless conformist, they have a very strange idea of who I am and what motivates me. :)

yaksuit
5th January 2011, 12:24
I don't have any problem at all with disagreeing, Celine. But, if I did, how would you feel about my opinion affecting the freedoms and creative license of others.
That's what's happening here. It's a microcosm of the bigger picture.
Thus my reference to Nazism.

you saved me a post :)

this is very much microcosm = macrocosm and completely relevant

Celine
5th January 2011, 12:27
"You can stubbornly refuse to start sentences with a capital letter if you think that makes you more of an individual, but you won't be fooling anyone except yourself!
"

It's not about fooling anyone... Reasons can be as personal and as varied as the personalities assembled here. i understand the point of clarity.

Teakai
5th January 2011, 12:31
the content, functionality and aesthetic layout of the avalon forum has to be one of the best if not the best i have seen.
i feel the suggestions that have been made are to only maintain a "quality control" not "control"

Personally, I have never had a problem reading any of the posts here - even the one with all the dots. I think quality may best be judged by the content rather than the style - but, still, that will be a personal opinion.

I wasn't going to post on this thread at all, because I didn't want to give it my energy. I thought maybe, with all the things that face us, with all the talk about spirituality and consciousness and freedom - and knowing the trouble that is in the world and coming to the world, that we would all be more open to each other. More involved with what really matters, not petty, personal annoyances. Sure, you can have as many as you like - but when they inhibit others - for no good reason except as personal preferences, then, that's control.

Edit to ad - I just want to say, that this wasn't directed at Sepia's initial post. We all have our annoyances and things that get up our nose and we are free to say them and I totally support that.
What did inspire me to post was that they were acted upon.

Anchor
5th January 2011, 12:32
Oh
FFS
This is a mad thread
It must be time for bed

BTW: Celine - I think it is Godwins Law you are looking for.

This forum was doing very well and will carry on doing well.

Relax.... breath easy...

ZZZZZZzzzzzz...

John..

noprophet
5th January 2011, 12:33
Oh you guys... ;)

Teakai
5th January 2011, 12:37
Oh
FFS
This is a mad thread
It must be time for bed

BTW: Celine - I think it is Godwins Law you are looking for.

This forum was doing very well and will carry on doing well.

Relax.... breath easy...

ZZZZZZzzzzzz...

John..

Me too, I'm going to bed.

Elandiel BernElve
5th January 2011, 12:42
Avalon! Is this how we are going to start 2011?

lol! so trivial..

Let's cut the crap and consolidate..

Disable moving avatars - ok
Disable standard forum avatars (that way everyone has to choose/upload/link its own - problem solved!
Disable weird contrast colours - ok
enable maximum of 100 character signature and disable imagelinking or whatever- ok

But don't restrict names, that's just... ridiculous. How is someone from French Polynesia or South Korea whose name might be chuiegn 'nho 'nbengh be pronouncable for everyone here.
It isn't! especially for those who only "master" one language, be it english which means only english names are acceptable??
And haven't you heard of Interent Identification or alias. If one wants to name himself after stormtrooper TK 1472 and decided to do that at age 11, continuesly does that until age 27, is known on the internet as TK1472 then sould he be forced here to change his internet id because someone doesn't like to copy and paste his name.
utterly b....

Now let's focus on more urging matters at hand

shall we? ...

Richard
5th January 2011, 12:43
You want my opinion, Seriously? Fine

I think this thread is a farce and we have more relevant issues to worry about.

There's is something sinister going on here at Avalon and no one sees it yet. (well some do)
and your griping about moving avatars and names.. you need to WAKE UP and look at the whole picture my friend!

Get over it or disable images on YOUR system.

You can't pronounce usernames? do you sit there saying them out loud?

There are more relevant issue to discuss here, so lets not get anal about esthetics's please

xm15e2
5th January 2011, 12:45
"You can stubbornly refuse to start sentences with a capital letter if you think that makes you more of an individual, but you won't be fooling anyone except yourself!
"

It's not about fooling anyone... Reasons can be as personal and as varied as the personalities assembled here. i understand the point of clarity.

you right, individualisim doesnt mean i know and or use grammar properly, why are you people worried about others instead of the reasons your here, none of you have ever typed my name for a single reason but you know you dont like it, id say in the days were living in, theres more individualisim behind people that do not critcize the unnecessary, after a few years of avalon growing, im gonna laugh so hard when half the names here are pronounceable, but half of them either have a 2 next to it or sound like gang slang, get out websters, count words that make pronouncable, acceptable names that are still likeable and compare that to the # of members and % of growth and then, ill agree with you all

DawgBone
5th January 2011, 12:54
If people want to have annoying avatars, that's okay as long as readers have the option to turn them off. Not turn off all avatars, just turn off the animation. That should be doable with some creative programming.

Most online posts are riddled with bad grammar and misspelled words. This seems almost fashionable. As Bill points out this makes you look like an idiot, and no one is going to pay any attention to what you say. Thank god for spell checkers! The content of your posts is another matter. That is entirely your business. No one is advocating censorship.

But Avalon is a unique site. It is not just a place for like-minded people to get together and chat. Important ideas are discussed here. Vital ideas.

We need to think of our posts, to some extent, as articles rather than simply online conversation. Polish them up. Give them thought and attention. Edit your mistakes. It will increase the reach and power of this site.

(Now I'm going to edit my profile and get rid of my annoying signature ...)

Burke
5th January 2011, 12:55
Re signatures, a repetitive comment at the end of every post makes it harder to see the unique message that's just been written. And moving Avatars (for some) are distracting. Please understand that I want to make whatever you say more likely to be read and noticed.

I noticed the other day that when you use a signature it creates a rather large blank space between your last sentence in a post and the signature itself and I wondered how much smaller those 40+ page threads would be without them if I turned them off.

So I just went to turn it off and I also bumped my "posts per page" count to 40 instead of default and now those "THE RULERS OF THE WORLD" posts are only 22 pages each.

now just to find the place I left off again :eek:

Addendum:

Well that rather large blank space between your last sentence in a post and the signature is still there...so it was just the post count (and I turned signatures off) that halved the page count on those large threads. As petty as this thread may have appeared, I did get an improved function out of it so I consider this thread a good thing.

Snowbird
5th January 2011, 13:04

Teakai, about a week or so ago I received two PMs concerning the color that I use for posting. I use color because I love color, but am also willing to make sure that the color can be easily read on all the different backgrounds.

One poster nicely asked me to change the color which I was attempting to at the time. A day or so later, Bill Ryan wrote me a PM very nicely asking me to change the color. There was obviously a problem with the former color that I was using, so I not only changed it, but bolded it. If something fundamental such as color or font, etc. is bothering several posters, I am all for change.

And, since we are on the subject, I normally use the dark Gaian Night background and I cannot read your signature. Would you consider bolding it? :thumb:

Fractalius
5th January 2011, 13:12
Is there any fonts that we can choose that scroll and bounce as they are being read?

That sounds a bit like me, how about it? can we have a rolling jumping font plz! :bounce:

Zook
5th January 2011, 13:46
Just so sad sometimes.

Swami
5th January 2011, 13:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5znh58WITU8

HURRITT ENYETO
5th January 2011, 14:11
You want my opinion, Seriously? Fine

I think this thread is a farce and we have more relevant issues to worry about.

There's is something sinister going on here at Avalon and no one sees it yet. (well some do)
and your griping about moving avatars and names.. you need to WAKE UP and look at the whole picture my friend!

Get over it or disable images on YOUR system.

You can't pronounce usernames? do you sit there saying them out loud?

There are more relevant issue to discuss here, so lets not get anal about esthetics's please

This "something sinister" wouldn't be related to "Charles" by any chance would it?
Could you elaborate?

MariaDine
5th January 2011, 14:44
Ahahahahahah! :) ...Hurritt...:sarcastic:

Now, seriously...I never thought Avatars were going to be a thread in this Forum !
Namasté

May the best solution prevail !

arctourist
5th January 2011, 15:01
smiles annoy me too! but how can i get one of those moving avatars? mine would hardly move...that would be cool if it were really slow,like the sun setting,or something like that...then you would hardly notice it...of course,i'd make sure it wouldn't be that bright,so as not to blind the reader....then again,what's in an avatar-haha-
i could post a pic of myself-i think that should be required of everyone actually...but i don't know if i really have enough pictures of myself,or even how many people are here-haha
but,no,in all seriousness,i don't think we should judge each other based on the content of our names,avatars,posts,or even characters....we just should be ourselves as we can,and maybe feel free to change our names and minds - or not,-i'm just really glad to be here and i hope i don't start talking too much-haha-

HURRITT ENYETO
5th January 2011, 15:01
Ahahahahahah! :) ...Hurritt...:sarcastic:

Now, seriously...I never thought Avatars were going to be a thread in this Forum !
Namasté

May the best solution prevail !

Hmmm,I don't really get what's so funny?

GK76
5th January 2011, 15:04
There is a valid argument about the moving avatars, I too have a short attention span (no it wasn't sarcasm, sadly it's true).

The colour change is a good idea, light blue on a white background can be troublesome for some screens.

The issue of name changing - somehow the name offends or irritates you yet the name owner hasn't set out to annoy you - surely you should be asking yourself some probing questions. At no point am I seeking to irritate anyone with this, merely just to point out sometimes we can get stuck in our 'own little world'. If it really does promote an emotional reaction, simply applying thought directly at the issue will bring a revelation, then let it go.

Just to cover all bases - if the name is hard to read or you feel doesn't reflect the person's being then there is a simple phrase which comes to mind:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
-Some bloke called Shakespeare

This issue can run on forever and to disturbing depths if a line isn't drawn.

PennyDrop
5th January 2011, 15:35
As a newbie here, this thread feels rather sombre so I'm not bothered by it. Sounds like healthy debate to me and a polite debate at that. It's sooooooo refreshing.

Peace

Wood
5th January 2011, 15:43
I agree with sepia about nicknames.
Regarding moving avatars, I find some of them more intrusive than others. I like lightblue's for example. However, I tend to dislike those with an eye, that I think may have a psychological effect...

Wood
5th January 2011, 15:54
Oh, and since we are in rant mode, I do not like at all people using coloured text in their posts by default, in particular when it can't be read with one of the themes (usually the dark one I am using because it is better on my eyes). Maybe it is possible to change the post colours as well in the gaian night theme?

truthseekerdan
5th January 2011, 16:31

Yeah, and don't forget to disable the signature feature -- reminds me of communist ideology... :sad:

Bill Ryan
5th January 2011, 16:43
Yeah, and don't forget to disable the signature feature -- reminds me of communist ideology... :sad:

Hi, Dan - many forums have signatures disabled because they take up too much page space on a long thread, disturb continuity, and can be a distraction. Some signatures are really very long, and if that member posts frequently it's a real irritant to some. That does not help them.

But note that here members can always toggle signatures into disappearing through their user control panel.

I have them disabled: I want to read a member's comments, not be reminded every time I look what someone's Facebook page is.

That's not what the Forum's for. Personal details can be stated at length on the Profile page, accessible to anyone who's interested. I look on people's profiles often, and usually wish there was more information! I'm really very interested in members' backgrounds. But not (for me) at the foot of every post.

My views are not about censoring information at all. They're about structuring where and how it appears - to optimize the experience of the visitor.

noxon medem
5th January 2011, 17:13
The visual design and appearance of Project Avalon Forum.
( think AF (AvalonForum) is the correct abreviation to use )

I think this thread is relevant and also important.
In periods I sit for hours reading through threads and posts,
and trying to catch up on the "charles"-material was a marathon.
(- and what BLISS to dive into something trivial and simple like this ! )

I can sometimes be realy disturbed by moving avatars, can not
concentrate on the words, and most often skip those posts,
if there is not an early magic keyword that makes me fight
my discomfort to stay on the post.
So, bottom line, this is not about control of personal expression,
it is being aware that we are actually communicating here,
between a lot of people. Some will be sensitive to "noisy" avatars.
If you do not want sensitive people to read your post, your info
and your opinion on a topic, well fine, that is your choice.
- Now it is a conscious one.

Another thing along similar lines:
My eyes are crying when I try
to read text with this type of colour design.
Normaly skip those too, or their meaning is most often lost to me.

So, this is how I feel about it. I do not think it is waste to pay
attention to these details. And I was looking at the standard avatars
offered by this forum. Bad selection. I suggest delete them all, and people
upload their own unique one, if they feel the need for an avatar at all.

:photo:

Jokingly added:
Feel you have nothing to say ?
Try screaming !

truthseekerdan
5th January 2011, 17:23
Hi, Dan - many forums have signatures disabled because they take up too much page space on a long thread, disturb continuity, and can be a distraction (some signatures are really very long and if that member posts frequently it's a real irritant, that does not help them).

I understand you Bill, however, until someone decided to bring this up and somehow disrupt the harmony -- everybody at least quietly was OK with how things were. IMHO, forums like this one are about diversity not conformity, and it all comes down to our freedom of choice. Once one tries to interfere with it by imposing its pov -- you are likely to have caused or experience 'chaos'...

When we expect our free will to be able to get rid of the reality that we have already established through our choices, we are actually engaging in the same kind of irrational thinking that might expect a supernatural occurrence to change what already is, in answer to our personal wishes. All of the current things we have to work with (good or bad) are conditions that represent the blending of our past choices.

To expect undesirable situations to change magically does not provide us free choice. Free choice or the creative use of our free will, always leaves us free to choose at any given moment, the direction in which our unbroken series of choices will next take us.

Let's be wise enough to not let things of this nature distract us from the bigger picture...

My blessings to all, ~ Dan

Tea
5th January 2011, 17:26
Please relax people. :thumb:

There is nothing wrong with a little criticism. We need to learn to be comfortable with peoples criticism, even if we disagree with it.

Some have been saying that this is a distraction. I totally disagree here. This thread is obviously bothering alot of people, so this is more of an experience that offers opportunity to learn and grow. Yes, even an experience as simple as this. There are opportunities always being offered to us.

I understand peoples wish to express themselves; however, I also understand how people appreciate a user friendly interface. So, there is a balance being kept here. Go too far in any direction and problems will be created.

For example, if someones avatar was playing a loud ringing noise and caused your entire screen to flash, most peoples limits would be crossed. However, if we create too many restrictions, then that will limit peoples ability to express themsleves. There is sort of a yin-yang effect going on here.

Having said all that, the one thing I can agree with from the orginal post is that certain moving avatars can be very distracting. Please consider this.

Zook
5th January 2011, 17:31
Hi, Dan - many forums have signatures disabled because they take up too much page space on a long thread, disturb continuity, and can be a distraction. Some signatures are really very long, and if that member posts frequently it's a real irritant to some. That does not help them.
But note that here members can always toggle signatures into disappearing through their user control panel.

I have them disabled: I want to read a member's comments, not be reminded every time I look what someone's Facebook page is.
That's not what the Forum's for. Personal details can be stated at length on the Profile page, accessible to anyone who's interested. I look on people's profiles often, and usually wish there was more information! I'm really very interested in members' backgrounds. But not (for me) at the foot of every post.

My views are not about censoring information at all. They're about structuring where and how it appears - to optimize the experience of the visitor.

Hi Bill.

If I may offer a suggestion, there's some empty space beneath the avatar field in the left margin. Is it possible to move the signature field over there?

For me, a signature is very useful in that I don't have to type Cheers, Uncle Zook all the time. I suppose I can trim the rest of the signature to save bandwidth.

Kari Lynn
5th January 2011, 17:51
What is distracting, and quality control of a forum for some, is flat out uniformity and control of freedom for others.
No matter how you wrap your words about needing it for your own comfort, quality, or any other words you choose, when you limit a person’s choice and creativity to choose their own name, (what ever that may be) and avatar, you are putting controls on them. You are detracting from that persons choice, and creativity.
Personally, I find when a person is easily distracted and looks at my cloths, house, signature, avatar, and every item around me, rather than look me in the eye and listen to what I’m saying, they are truly not interested or listening to me at all and the conversation is limited and shallow.

Admins can make this forum clean and uniform by disabling Avatars, Signatures, and graphics. But when considering the fact that each member has the opportunity to modify their forum page for their own viewing pleasure, ei. turn off signature, avatar, img, and gifs as your own choice, but would rather limit other members choices instead of doing that. One has to wonder... at what cost of freedom of choice?

Celine
5th January 2011, 17:53
Complete lack of control is no better in my opinion.

Control is NOT a 4 letter word!

Control is part of balance

Thinking that the world can exists without any control... seems a tad naive to me.

Your Avatar, Kari... she excudes ALOT of control... to shoot a gun properly... control is an important factor.

MariaDine
5th January 2011, 17:54
This thread has been a good lesson.
Namasté
MD

Agape
5th January 2011, 18:02
I suggest that the username changing feature if there is any such in the forum software be enabled so that new members who picked up odd names or anyone else wanting to change their nicks & avatars could do so without hassle and giving additional work to mods.

It's again, completely insubstantial like most things human..

Celine
5th January 2011, 18:03
like most things human?

oh...well sorry ...but

i find being human very substantial

Bill Ryan
5th January 2011, 18:05
This thread has been a good lesson.
Namasté
MD

Everyone's been a little twitchy the last 2-3 days. I dropped quite a big rock in the pond on 1 January, and the ripples are spreading and boats are rocking.

This Forum (like others, also) is not too used to valid-sounding but disturbing material that's radically new - coming via a respected source. Cognitive dissonance is created, which is then discharged in other ways.

A disturbance in the Force. :)

Tea
5th January 2011, 18:08
What is distracting, and quality control of a forum for some, is flat out uniformity and control of freedom for others.
No matter how you wrap your words about needing it for your own comfort, quality, or any other words you choose, when you limit a person’s choice and creativity to choose their own name, (what ever that may be) and avatar, you are putting controls on them. You are detracting from that persons choice, and creativity.
Personally, I find when a person is easily distracted and looks at my cloths, house, signature, avatar, and every item around me, rather than look me in the eye and listen to what I’m saying, they are truly not interested or listening to me at all and the conversation is limited and shallow.

Admins can make this forum clean and uniform by disabling Avatars, Signatures, and graphics. But when considering the fact that each member has the opportunity to modify their forum page for their own viewing pleasure, ei. turn off signature, avatar, img, and gifs as your own choice, but would rather limit other members choices instead of doing that. One has to wonder... at what cost of freedom of choice?

Well, there is some sort of paradox (maybe not the right word) going on here.

For example, I really enjoy playing loud music sometimes, but when doing so I may be infringing upon someones elses desire to have a quiet setting. At the same time that person need for quiet is affecting my desire to enjoy my music.

Agape
5th January 2011, 18:10
Excuse my self sarcasms Ceiline.

Oh yeah, Bill, you welcome the dissonance and crowd gatherings,

we old beings of peace ..prefer peace ,

there's a force in peace too..

:angel:

¤=[Post Update]=¤

In another words 'Inter Arma Silent Musae' . I'm never too comfy in large crowds of people..
but that's my fault.

Kari Lynn
5th January 2011, 18:20
Complete lack of control is no better in my opinion.

Control is NOT a 4 letter word!

Control is part of balance

Thinking that the world can exists without any control... seems a tad naive to me.

Your Avatar, Kari... she excudes ALOT of control... to shoot a gun properly... control is an important factor.

But there isn't a lack of control here. People who don't like avatars, signatures, gifs, etc... do have the option to modify their own view themselves rather than put controls and limits on other peoples choices to use them.

As far as my avatar, yes I've caught alot of flack about her. How I'm insensitive to military persons returning from war, and couldn't handle seeing a weapon pointed at them. (which I found odd, as it was retired, and active military personel that choose it for me.)
And by the way, it is a weapon, not a shotty, not a gun. Where I work, I'd catch alot of grief for not calling it properly.

But you see it as control.
Where as the originator who designed by my feelings, realized that it was a form of defense and survival.
Look deeper.
Look behind the weapon at the woman who depends on that weapon for her protection and survival.
As it's what has gathered food, defended and protected homes, property, children and life.
So that avatar wasn't meant by the user as a weapon to control others, but a form of defense and survival for herself.
As with any soldier out there, where would they be if they were caught in the middle of a squirmish without their weapon?
Without it she would be left defenseless, vunerable, and unprotected.
So where you see it as control, she sees it as self defense and survival.

norman
5th January 2011, 18:34
....... I dropped quite a big rock in the pond on 1 January........

Actually, I don't think you did. You just ran a 2 hour trailer for the 'quite big rock drop'. We're twitchy with anticipation, not post rockdrop shock.

Bill Ryan
5th January 2011, 18:35
Here's a post from another thread:

i just posted a comment on camelot forum, with A refrence to to ATS than saw this, i saw the syncroN.

from that post the 1line extract of my post:
46pages. you decide where/which you put t number on Thruth,and change of.!
i couldnt care less if these debunkers/disinfo/polarizers posted 146pages od crap and slander and negativity and propaganda and trying to wedge more people with false planted seeds in their minds, and ^^ spreaking with Tongue <<-- (i would not be amazed if it started on ATS the "operation Little Wedge II )

( in general i put ATM in the Disinfo site range ( disinfo 1 thruth 4 non thruths thus misdiection and distraction) sure there have been real intel that may have originated from there. but you cannot take all a it in as the one and only thruth :frusty: :P

I guess that's 'individual'!

But I can't understand a word of it. Like Woody Allen (who was asked about War and Peace and answered that it was something to do with Russia), I think this is something to do with ATS! But that's as much as I can figure out.

:)

But there's a serious point here. Do you see?

lightblue
5th January 2011, 18:35
bill:
Everyone's been a little twitchy the last 2-3 days. I dropped quite a big rock in the pond on 1 January, and the ripples are spreading and boats are rocking.

This Forum (like others, also) is not too used to valid-sounding but disturbing material that's radically new - coming via a respected source. Cognitive dissonance is created, which is then discharged in other ways.

A disturbance in the Force.
excellent post!!!

i wish you never entered this trivial discussion...

p.s. i sincerely hope you won't use your influence to take my avatar away from me...after all ,it was available on the original avalon forum's gallery of avatars when i first joined and i was then entitled to carry it over...

p.p.s i wish you didn't allude to my non-capitalised letters ....i'd rather you considered me illiterate than patronise me on my use of english...no one ever complained about it except and indirectly yourself...all i can say: i am sad - sad because i smell elitism...ban me if you must...kind regards :yu: l

Bill Ryan
5th January 2011, 18:39
Actually, I don't think you did. You just ran a 2 hour trailer for the 'quite big rock drop'. We're twitchy with anticipation, not post rockdrop shock.

Thanks, Norman - what are/were you anticipating, that wasn't stated? (This is a serious question.)

Bill Ryan
5th January 2011, 18:44
bill:
excellent post!!!

i wish you never entered this trivial discussion...

p.s. i sincerely hope you won't use your influence to take my avatar away from me...after all ,it was available on the original avalon forum's gallery of avatars when i first joined and i was then entitled to carry it over...

p.p.s i wish you didn't allude to my non-capitalised letters ....i'd rather you considered me illiterate than patronise me on my use of english...no one ever complained about it except and indirectly yourself...all i can say: i am sad - sad because i smell elitism...ban me if you must...kind regards :yu: l

You write very clearly! I always enjoy reading your posts.

I do know that quite a few people are irritated by your lovely lion. (Maybe we can do a poll!) Personally, I don't mind it.

It's better than this!

http://gdpit.com/avatars_pictures/animated/gdpit_com_96762788_33.gif

Burke
5th January 2011, 18:47
Here's a post from another thread:

I guess that's 'individual'!

But I can't understand a word of it. Like Woody Allen (who was asked about War and Peace and answered that it was something to do with Russia), I think this is something to do with ATS! But that's as much as I can figure out.

But there's a serious point here. Do you see?

Not that I miss your point, because I agree to a degree. I just assumed it was because he is from the Netherlands as there is a consistency in his style through the boards, although this one does stand out quite a bit.

lightblue
5th January 2011, 18:48
bill:
You write very clearly! I always enjoy reading your posts.

I do know that quite a few people are irritated by your lovely lion. (Maybe we can do a poll!) Personally, I don't mind it.

It's better than this!

my choice is not up for polling... ban me if you feel you must, or i
'll leave gladly before you decide to poll - i beg you to let me know whether you would or won't...thanks.. l

Bill Ryan
5th January 2011, 18:51
bill:my choice is not up for polling... ban me if you feel you must, or i
'll leave gladly before you decide to poll - i beg you to let me know whether you would or won't...thanks.. l

The poll reference was a joke!

DEFINITELY a disturbance in the Force. (I was also trying to make you laugh with the galloping dog!)

morguana
5th January 2011, 18:56
Come on folks, please this is not going anywhere, we all have the choice to have avatars showing or not.
May I suggest that we all chill, will pass around some delish homemade Christmas cake and make a cuppa.....
Love to you all,
m

Burke
5th January 2011, 19:06
lots of pent up energies being released in a fashion maybe?

could this have started before the rock was dropped?

norman
5th January 2011, 19:12
Thanks, Norman - what are/were you anticipating, that wasn't stated? (This is a serious question.)

I don't know Bill. The 'interview' intimates a great deal of information has flowed in your direction but none of it has passed through that 2 hour chat.

I realize it would be very difficult for you to actually view that video from the position of a complete outsider but if you could do that I think you'd better understand why it conveys so little and is so unlike previous interviews that you've done. The difference indicates to me the gravity of the situation. It's as if what you have learned via Charles is like antimatter and cannot be handled like all the matter you have handled before.

And on a lighter note, The interview was a little like watching you sitting in a cage with a tiger and knowing that the tiger wasn't hungry but that tiger do have to eat from time to time.

Burke
5th January 2011, 19:19
I think some take the video out of context, or had preconceived expectations due to the nature of most other Camelot/Avalon videos. It was not meant to inform but to confirm, which I found highly valuable

uh oh...am I contributing to the hijacking of this thread away from the important topic at hand towards yet another commentary thread on said video?

just askin'

MariaDine
5th January 2011, 19:21
«Where hides evil in my kingdom ? ...Always where you least expect it !» :)
Good luck ...Mr. Bill Ryan !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QKsFXE140A&feature=related

Arrowwind
5th January 2011, 19:24
I really like moving avatars and I plan to post one soon, sorry guys. Not only that I like to write in purple. I suggest that it be clearly stated somewhere for those who do not like them a way to disable them. We are in a high tech world! Is this impossible for such a simple adjustment?

I do agree that some moving avatars are a bit annoying... but hey, life can be annoying and what annoys me may not annoy someone else. Consider it an opportunity to develop patience and dispassion over the irrelevant or turn it off if you are able.

As far as the name goes it could be suggested on the registration page that the name is appreciated to be some kind of pronouncable word.. it really helps be keep track of who I am reading... instead of a zillion and a half letter siduals that I somehow have to implant into my brain.

Hey, I'm from Idaho. Our motto here is "I don't beleive what you do but I will defend your right to believe it to the death."

NancyV
5th January 2011, 19:27
I LOVE the moving avatars, signatures, impossible usernames, colors, absurd smilies, etc., even if some of them are occasionally annoying. Those I ignore. They tell me a lot about the member and what they are thinking about or not thinking about and what they care about. The content and layout of their posts tells me how conscious they are of how their font colors, grammar, spelling, etc. affect other people and whether or not they even give a flying hoot.

Some people's posts are quite creative, some have terrible grammar and are somewhat incoherent, some are brilliant and profound, some are peace and love and others are just plain funny. We also have members for whom English is a 2nd or 3rd language. Everyone is expressing who they are and I appreciate it and have no desire to make them be more like me or conform to my likes and dislikes. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever ignoring anything or anyone that doesn't resonate with me since I am in control of my reality.

I've been rather unimaginative in my choice of avatar, lack of signature, using my real name, NancyV (the V is for Victoria in the interests of full exposure!), and incomplete profile, but I've always felt that it didn't matter much since I have not been here for the purposes of making friends or being involved in any group activities. I really don't care at all how the forum is organized and it has always seemed quite well run and nice to me. One thing I do appreciate about forums is that they are not democratic, they are (hopefully) benevolent dictatorships. If you have good administration, which Avalon does have, then whatever they do is fine with me.

So since I don't really have a vote on how Avalon is run, I won't vote. Do whatever you will with the layout, it's the information and ideas that are more important to me and those are often quite exciting and educational. However, individual expression without major repression makes this forum more multifaceted and expressive of the "reality" of this big, beautiful 3D work of art we are temporarily inhabiting.

Nancy :)

MiguelQ
5th January 2011, 19:35
baby blue text? what you guys mean? my bnackground color is not white?
what is yours?

https://8tjcxw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pOIFvLWd_bnvTgkDL8IK6bMWI2dkQFFoju72k6YmXUIqP89ZmasdgsvWaTAWY55Rk34oD9WycQAq-cSzoTpKbHnN4_Q9360uu/Capture.JPG?psid=1

Bill Ryan
5th January 2011, 19:48
I don't know Bill. The 'interview' intimates a great deal of information has flowed in your direction but none of it has passed through that 2 hour chat.

I realize it would be very difficult for you to actually view that video from the position of a complete outsider but if you could do that I think you'd better understand why it conveys so little and is so unlike previous interviews that you've done. The difference indicates to me the gravity of the situation. It's as if what you have learned via Charles is like antimatter and cannot be handled like all the matter you have handled before.

And on a lighter note, The interview was a little like watching you sitting in a cage with a tiger and knowing that the tiger wasn't hungry but that tiger do have to eat from time to time.

Thanks, Norman -

1) I greatly appreciate your intellect and sanity, and all your contributions. This included. :)

2) Your antimatter analogy was excellent. (I think I'll use it, if I may.)

3) I enjoyed the tiger joke. So will Charles - he will doubtless be reading this!

4) I'm writing a 'Charles FAQ' article. It's quite a long one. I can fill in some of the backstory, which contains an immense amount of interesting detail, and simply have not had the opportunity to do that yet.

Now, back to topic, which was all about animated gifs...

:focus:

New Dawn
5th January 2011, 20:10
I'm fairly sure that when I joined this forum, there was less of an Avalon battle going on. Come on people, you're arguing over something so daft. It seems that Bill has to keep replying to really stupid things- I've been a part of a lot of forums over the years, but left them all, as they were ran by idiots that did ****ty things, such as deleting posts that shouldn't have been deleted, or by moving posts without telling me. This forum has been the most fair and nicest one I've been a part of, and I hope it stays like that. No offense to anyone, but stop biting at every little thing that is said - life is too shor for that crap, and it detracts from the subjects that really matter. I'll warn you all once - if this continues, I'll change my name to Rill Byan, and have a moving flashy avatar, or use the same pic but in reverse!....and you won't like it. :)

Bill Ryan
5th January 2011, 20:46
baby blue text? what you guys mean? my bnackground color is not white?
what is yours?
https://8tjcxw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pOIFvLWd_bnvTgkDL8IK6bMWI2dkQFFoju72k6YmXUIqP89ZmasdgsvWaTAWY55Rk34oD9WycQAq-cSzoTpKbHnN4_Q9360uu/Capture.JPG?psid=1

Hi, Miguel:

You can change the appearance of the forum with a small menu on the bottom left of the page. Some backgrounds are dark, others are white.

On the usual one (called AVALON BREEZE), there's a white background - and your post looks like this:

http://projectavalon.net/Miquel_screenshot.jpg

irishspirit
5th January 2011, 20:58
WOW!

Is this debate really taking place?

With all that is going in this world, this is the big things that people want to complain about?

Whatever takes your fancy!

Irish

Limor Wolf
5th January 2011, 21:38
O.k,i will pay dearly for this one,but i will ask anyway ,than go and hide:

What is so important on starting a post with a capital letter?any real significanse?

Anchor
5th January 2011, 21:41
Morning Avalonians - I see we are all still splashing about in the bath.

I already said my bit on handles and forum names.

If moving avatars annoy you - find your browser setting that switches that off. If your browser doesnt have that setting, it is totally sh1t and you need a better one.

My recommendation:

1) Use Firefox

2) Install ADD BLOCK PLUS (ABP)

3) Use ABP to Nuke any freaking avatar, picture, graphic or image you dont like (and enjoy lack of most of the intrusive advertising you see on the internet)

Simple, there are other ways, but this works for me.

NancyV
5th January 2011, 22:10
What is so important on starting a post with a capital letter?any real significanse?
There are certain people in the world, me being one of them, who are very meticulous (anal retentive) about proper grammar and punctuation. It can drive them crazy to see others make mistakes! They can often be compelled to correct everyone they come in contact with on even their misuse of words while talking with them. I am happy to say that I am paying my karma on that judgmental stance right now in this lifetime! Lucky for me I married a man who is brilliant, a wonderful writer and poet, but his spelling and punctuation are execrable (he makes fun of me all the time for using words that few others use). In addition, he is a hillbilly from West Virginia who says things like "It don't matter", and other seemingly illiterate expressions. He calls me the spelling Nazi and after a few years of suffering, (although I LOVED correcting him constantly) I finally learned that poor spelling and punctuation are not a great measure of intelligence or wisdom, perhaps just a measure of the more shallow and much less important intellectuality with which I seem to have been cursed... umm, I mean gifted.

Nancy :)

xm15e2
5th January 2011, 22:22

in my opinion no, if it was a vocal conversation you wouldnt have to capitalize it..I understand presentation.If i were filling out a job application, or writeing my governor a letter id want it presented well.But im not, im simply haveing a conversation through text, and while i excelled at math, science and history in school.I could never do well in English, its my brain not anyone elses, and i feel that when i worry about crossing my t's and dotting mye eyes, it makes me feel like i loose alot of focus.Dont get me wrong, i do give my apologies to everyone that likes what they read to be laid out properly, and even wish i was better at doing that for them...Honestly, but thats why this forums here to begin with isnt it?So we all can learn from each other in many ways?If grammar is really more important to you than the words than i sugguest a book...You can control what you read there, instead of feeling above the words becuase that persons brain isnt on the same grade point average.Im simply saying, everytime you need help in life, it usually comes from the mechanic or electrician who's handwriting you couldnt read, but has knowledge you need, learn who we learn from, and accept that they are different, after all a mechanic wont lower you becuase you couldnt understand his termology under the maintenance section of a owners manual when your car breaks down and you go to him, he just realizes that you dont know how, but must know something since you can afford to fix it

Flash
5th January 2011, 23:18
Hi everyone, (capital I)
I am one of the numerous new writers on this forum - however, not a new reader. In fact I have been a reader for nearly 3 years and one of the reason why I did not write before is because I saw some comments on grammar and I did not feel adequate to write in English. Some of you have wonderful writing skills but for me, "capital letters" I just don't know where to put them!!! English seems a landmine for capital letters. My mothertongue is French (capital F - but no capital f en français) and guess what, the rules are still different in Spanish. So please, I truly enjoy reading all of you with your own wrting abilities, and please keep the good job, I selfishly want to enjoy more. And for those having real local terminologies, I would not mind having a small dictionnary for them cause... something i understand colloquial years later, sometimes never. A little joke about languages usage: years ago, an american friend of mine wrote me a letter from far away and had the courage to try his written French. H

sepia
5th January 2011, 23:19
----------

Dear Friends, dear Moderators

I started this thread before I went to work and obviously kept some of you busy quite a bit during the last 12 hours.

Now I've had the time to read them all.

Thank you for spending your time on it.

Thank you for your opinions and statements, for expressing your astonishment, your love, anger, disappointment, annoyance and for giving intelligent information... :)

I learned a lot about you all. Actually, I think the real title of this thread should have been

"Please tell me all about your personality and how you like to express yourself."

This wasn't my original intention - but to my surprise (and, in some cases, my amusement) it turned out like that.

Please inhale - exhale - slowly :) calm down, all is fine, no big deal, the game is over.

Everything seems to be said.

If I hurt you, please forgive me - and try to enjoy the experience.

Moderators: This thread can probably be closed now!

Love, Ruth (turned 60 last month)
http://www.groundcrew.ch/happy_granny.gif

Flash
5th January 2011, 23:21
sorry posted too fast

Having learned., this American, that verb often finish with an er added up to the roots of the word, he ended up his letter with a conjugaison for "baiser" and said "je te baise" instead of "je t'embrasse". MY answer was that it is rather uncomfortable long distance. When searching for the meaning, he realized he had told me I f... you gladly.

Swami
5th January 2011, 23:32
What was THE/your intention of this thread Sepia...?

sepia
5th January 2011, 23:38
What was THE/your intention of this thread Sepia...?

My intention?

Absolutely simple - no secret at all - I expressed it in my first post:

I was annoyed and wondered how other people would feel about it.

And obviously people were very eager to tell me what they think.

Isn't it great? - I rarely saw a more vivid and passionate thread.

Limor Wolf
5th January 2011, 23:50
Dear Sepia,
you are doing a commotion and than waving a white flag.ha ha :)

i hope you enjoyed your day.

p.s
if you are more than 60 please change your photo up there to the original one :)

flash,
your post was funny as it was.there was a punch-line even when it was cut

bashi
5th January 2011, 23:53

A disturbance in the Force. :)

6BwwtpZnJmc

Swami
5th January 2011, 23:56
My intention?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pwT2wiZsg0
.....IN love....

PS: wasn't planned bashi, just happened

lightblue
5th January 2011, 23:57
sepia:
My intention?

seems the pleasure is all yours..

funny you should publish this thread under the "general discussion" category...i am guessing that's because you felt the world at large should know what you personally are curious about... l

bashi
6th January 2011, 00:04
sepia:

seems the pleasure is all yours..

funny you should publish this thread under the "general discussion" category...i am guessing that's because you felt the world at large should know what you personally are curious about... l

i am missing your colourful expression....

¤=[Post Update]=¤

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pwT2wiZsg0
.....IN love....

PS: wasn't planned bashi, just happened

can`t watch it here, SONY MUSIC etc ...
who is it?

the timing: it seems the force got stronger, isn't?

Swami
6th January 2011, 00:06

¤=[Post Update]=¤

can`t watch it here, SONY MUSIC etc ...
who is it?

please turn of that color Bashi........:becky:

Dido: White Flag

PS... Do you notice all these "synchronisties" at once....???

3rd edit in this post: Muwahahahahahaha

bashi
6th January 2011, 00:09
please turn of that color Bashi........:becky:

PS... Do you notice all these "synchronisties" at once....???

for you my dear, so that you can understand and don`t have to skip my important posts

sepia
6th January 2011, 00:12
Dear Sepia,
you are doing a commotion and than waving a white flag.ha ha :)

i hope you enjoyed your day.

Yes I did enjoy my day. Was there a reason not to? - Sorry when I pushed your buttons.

p.s
if you are more than 60 please change your photo up there to the original one :)

After 60 I'm no longer allowed to show my face or what? The picture was taken 2009. -
Oh, I understand, you love the Sepia, don't you?

Enjoy your day!

Burke
6th January 2011, 00:12
well i enjoyed the thread

sure there are important things to worry over...but this was a nice break to balance all the heavy thinking

and funny

I laughed alot reading this a few times

Swami
6th January 2011, 00:15
for you my dear, so that you can understand and don`t have to skip my important posts

Heh-heh-heh

I'm a loner........ and always will be.......

bashi
6th January 2011, 00:19

you triggered somethink.
i was listening to this track while some blood was spilled outside...

Ilie Pandia
6th January 2011, 00:21
Hello,

I used to get really annoyed with people who would point out my grammar and spelling mistakes while I was trying to convey an important idea! I mean... who the hell cares about spelling and grammar!?

This attitude changed after reading 1984 (doublespeak) and listening to the shows of George Carlin: "The quality of your thoughts and ideas is given by the quality of your language". I now firmly believe this to be true. I am not a native English speaker but I try to express myself as clear and correct as possible.

Language is a sort of convention. And if you do not take the time to learn it properly, you will not be able to communicate efficiently with other people around the globe that are using and understanding the same convention. This forum is about sharing information and ideas with people around the world that may not be native English speakers.

Also there seems to be a battle to simplify our vocabulary, to make it dull, soft and less expressive. This will affect your brain by locking you inside of it! By not having the tools to get out!

So I will conclude by saying that how you talk and write is very important especially for you. To further illustrate this I recommend you watch the movie "Black" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375611/) or take look at this post: Could you pass the 1895 8th grade final exam (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?10280-Could-you-pass-the-1895-8th-grade-final-exam)

lightblue
6th January 2011, 00:22

colours to colours

black and white to black and white...

maybe i'd be allowed to translate this to latin - it's just more to the point...
i promise evryone: no latin again, just this time..

non omnibus omnia sed omnibus optima

bashi
6th January 2011, 00:23
Heh-heh-heh

I'm a loner........ and always will be.......

I am a Son of the Solitude

a wanderer between worlds... :cool:

yeah, i know: the BIG EGO thingy...

Swami
6th January 2011, 00:27
I am a Son of the Solitude

a wanderer between worlds... :cool:

yeah, i know: the BIG EGO thingy...

Nope......
its the pain life brought me that me decide to do it all alone........
No ego there........

bashi
6th January 2011, 00:34
Nope......
its the pain life brought me that me decide to do it all alone........
No ego there........

well ok!
But i was saying something about me...
i should have started with "and"

Swami
6th January 2011, 00:35
well ok!

I think I understand/understood that.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWmF_2u-9nk

???

bashi
6th January 2011, 00:39
colours to colours

black and white to black and white...

maybe i'd be allowed to translate this to latin - it's just more to the point...
i promise evryone: no latin again, just this time..

non omnibus omnia sed omnibus optima

Mene Mene Tekel Upharsim :israel:

OMG! I got a moving thingy here intruded into my post. please look for the freeze button :p

:photo: Gosh! Mind altering flashes! Please report, this is an attacking site!

lightblue
6th January 2011, 00:41
well ok!

do stop salking please - you are many colours, plus your fonts are my favourite of all colours...:yu: l

light blue augments the sight of those that see..

bashi
6th January 2011, 00:42
I think I understand/understood that.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWmF_2u-9nk

???

"This video containes content from WMG and Bliss Corporation (what an irony).
It is not available in your country"

bashi
6th January 2011, 00:49
do stop salking please - you are many colours, plus your fonts are my favourite of all colours...:yu: l

light blue augments the sight of those that see..

i think they will just look great during the Night of Gaia...

Franny
6th January 2011, 00:51
I must agree that animated avatars distract the eye and pale colored font on a pale colored background is hard to read. Experienced web developers rarely use endlessly looped animated figures as they almost always distract website visitors from reading the message to the point of leaving the website earlier than if there was no animation.

Of course, people can get very attached to their avatars and feel them an extension of them selves.

Beth
6th January 2011, 03:28
Closing thread at the request of the OP, thank baby Jesus.

Edit by Bill:

I tried to look up Baby Jesus - is he a new member? - to thank him. But maybe he's not been approved yet.