PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have information on natural supplements

Gone002
9th January 2011, 11:48
natural supplements that help to build muscle. I do a lot of working out and i don't take shop made supplements like others. I do eat cashew nuts before and after working out. Are there any natural fruits etc that can help build muscle and give quick fire energy?

Thanks

Seikou-Kishi
9th January 2011, 11:54
Well for quick-fire energy, just eat simple carbohydrates, combined with more complex carbohydrates for prolonged energy, and follow it up with high protein foods like soya bean for the muscle building

Gone002
9th January 2011, 12:00
soya beans nice ok, but aren't carbs bad for you ?

Seikou-Kishi
9th January 2011, 12:07
Your body needs carbs if you're going to work out. The energy has to come from somewhere, and while most people think that without carbs, the body will burn off fat, actually the fat is burnt off afterwards in the post-work-out state of increased metabolism, but to actually achieve that state without pushing your body through exhaustion... the body's such a sluggish machine when it's run without carbs

Gone002
9th January 2011, 12:53
thanks very much seikou-kishi

Seikou-Kishi
9th January 2011, 12:57
I was glad to be able to help :-)

ngogly
9th January 2011, 18:04
After workout take a little banana or honey, helps to rise your energy level and avoids "eating out" your own muscles.
1-2 hours later eat proteins like tuna fish, eggs whites, red meat or cottage cheese.
Also take some proteins 0.5-1 hour before workout.

It's not full plan but basis for beginning. Commercial amino acids are very effective too, if you can trust the manufacturer.

Arrowwind
10th January 2011, 02:57
Thanks ngogly for mentioning protiens!

When you work out you are tearing down muscle. It needs to be replaced and immediately if you want to build muscle. High protien is essential. For the actual workout carbs are needed as muscle burns sugar which carbs provide. Unlike white sugar carbs provide a sustained release.

To back all this up good digestion is required and a plentyful amount of fresh veggies everyday, preferably raw at least 50% of the time. Veggies provide the vitamins and enzymes requried for correct cellular function.

I really really recommend unadulterated whey, as you can find from Jarrow. I get mine at www.iherb.com (http://www.iherb.com) for a good price. Each serving provides 17 grams of protien and will facilitate glutathione production.. look it up to see what glutathione is and how important.

If you get in to high levels of work out then suddenly stop your body will still want to be eating power meals. Watch out for this. This when people gain wait. Cut way way back on carbs... you will often see that competitive swimmers gain weight after they stop swimming... because they do not adjust their diet accordingly.

Ontarioguy
10th January 2011, 03:26
Hello Celt, I am going to post on this thread only to add a little bit of what I know and have experienced over the years...and that is over 25 years of experience in the exercize and supplement "arena" . I have learned a great deal of what does NOT work for my body over the course of my life thus far. I will be 48 next month. I will say right here right now...that I wish I had all the $$$ back that I spent over the years on the various "snake oils" and so called wonder supplements. I bet I could buy another house cash if I had that money back, haha, or at least a Very good down payment on one!
What I do know is that in todays world, we cannot as easily be assured of Quality foods to deliver to us the needed vitamins and minerals our bodies require. Therefore I do take a good Multivitamin daily, and I make certain to take in plenty of vitamin C and also D through supplementation due to the fact that I live in the north and do not get sunshine year round.I have found Vitamin D soooo important and take in ample amounts daily. I have read what each of the others have posted and I agree with them pretty much. No need to repeat anything already posted. However I do wish to point out that I have found a very DOABLE way of eating day to day, and that is I have found that by consuming MODERATE TO HIGH CARBOHYDRATES one day, followed by the next day of LOW TO MODERATE CARBOHYDRATES, that my body responds VERY WELL . In this way of eating, I avoid the trap of eating high carbohydrates every day which can lead to alot of stored bodyfat unless you are doing endless amounts of cardio every day, which I am not. This eating plan works for me and may not be for everyone, but I just wanted to throw it out there. Keep on working out my friend, and realize that there will be some trial & error involved in order to come across the supplements that your body responds well to. Best in good health!! :)

webyourstuff
10th January 2011, 05:00
Using your muscles burns calcium. When the calcium in your muscles is used up, that's when they hurt. I make a tea-like drink of calcium and magnesium when I exercise. Helps a lot. I buy a powdered product from www.vites.com called cal-mag.

This isn't a complete answer, but it is definitely part of the puzzle.

silverlightning
10th January 2011, 05:38
I'm not into bodybuilding at all, but lately I have been taking a table spoon of bee-pollen for general health benefits, and I read that it has been used by athletes and bodybuilders with success. It's worth looking further into :- )

ngogly
10th January 2011, 14:41
Good source of natural calcium is eggshells. Use coffee-mill to grind them and eat.

Seikou-Kishi
10th January 2011, 15:38
A better source is a tea made of horsetail... namely because eggshells are gross lol

Tea
10th January 2011, 22:03
Try the natural Russian herb called Moomiyo(Mumie). Lots of benefits from taking this.

"Though Mumie has been used in folk medicine of different countries for almost two thousand years, there are still many legends regarding its mysterious origin."

"Health organizations aren't the only groups interested in Mumie. In Russia and many of the former USSR republics, Mumie is considered a strategic material and is used extensively as a performance enhancer within the armed forces (Spetnaz and other elite fighting groups) to help prepare cosmonauts before and during space travel, and as an important part in the restoration programs of national and Olympic-level athletes."

http://gordonresearch.com/Product_Research/Beyond_GHS/mumie.html

Gone002
10th January 2011, 22:21
this information is great thanks guys and girls

Steven
11th January 2011, 00:13
My advice isn't about natural supplements directly, but nevertheless quite important and not very known by the people.

The pH ratio of the inner environment of your body. If you succeed in maintaining it high, between 7.0 and 7.5, you will be healthy for the rest of your life and live old. You will never feel fatigue randomly in the daytime and be very energetic for any physical effort. Sodium bicarbonate can be used according to your weigth in order to accomplish it. A couple adjustment in your daily consumption habits too. It is a knowledge many sports professional share.

The internet is full of awesome information to dig a bit into the topic.

Acidic environment are awesome place for fungus, microbe, bacteria, etc... to thrive. Alkali environment fix it for the body to be maintained in its natural state.

Namaste, Steven

conk
12th January 2011, 19:52
Dubious advice Seikou-Kishi. I doubt there is ever a reason to eat simple carbs. And soy beans? Inferior food, full of poison. Old folks sage advice: Avoid them soy beans son, they'll make you into a girl.

To build up your body, start with the basics. Fatty acids. Quality, non-heated, non-processed fats. Your cells use the raw fatty acids to build the cell membrane. Without the proper building blocks, you are building an inferior cell structure.

Gone002
28th January 2011, 11:14
I would like to thank you guys i have increased my weight lifting by 12kg.
:) thanks guys

Ultima Thule
1st February 2011, 19:23
Hi! This is my first real post here.

I have been for a few years trying to figure out what is essential in healthy bodily functions, and therefore in developing the body also in athletic sense. What immediately follows, is what does your body need for longevity, I trained intensely for over a decade and am currently focused on nutrition because of the consequences..

What ultimately directs my attention is my basis in chinese medicine and the theory of it. That makes the search interesting, you can be sure that if the ancient chinese said something, you will find substance to it.

I am going to keep this post as brief as possible, but the amount of information I am trying to incorporate here easily expands exponentially, so bear with me, Iīll try to stick to the level where most "bottlenecks" form..

Minerals
- on a cellular level you have several Yin-Yang pairs, Natrium(sodium/Na)-Potassium(Kalium/K) being essential one. They form so called Natrium-Potassium pump, where Na is passively transported from outside the cell to inside - from higher to lower concentration. Potassium does exactly the opposite. After that the Sodium-potassium-pump kicks in and with the power invested into it by ATP(adenosinetriphosphate) actively transports 3 sodium-ions back out for every 2 potassium-ions going back in the cell. SO YOU NEED BOTH OF THEM, we tend to use too much sodium but it is not unusual for people to have problems due to lack of sodium ie. from avoiding salt. The more you do, think and are stressed, the more impulses the cells receive from your central nervous system, and the more often they need to be able to produce ATP to power up the pump. Constant stress can and will wear your cells out. What generally is needed for the potassium to get inside the cell is:Calcium, Magnesium, Manganese, Silica, Q10 Ubikinon and enough energy from nutrition.
Typical setback for this groundwork would be using statins ie cholesterol-lowering drugs. While they inhibit the production of cholesterol in liver, they also inhibit at least partially the production of Q10 ubikinon, which is essential in the production of ATP - hence the usual muscle pains with statins. Trouble with this function can lead to tiredness, heartbeat irregularities, you name it.

Calcium-Magnesium: they are another important pair. Besides the obvious role of Calcium in developing healthy bone(where it needs essentially vitamin C, D, K2, Magnesium, Phosphorus among others and physical strain), Calcium is essential in functioning of the nerves and muscles. Magnesium plays also a part in nerve function and it is needed in muscle relaxation. Excess Calcium in ratio to Magnesium can do the same thing. Even if you have all the other minerals, but not enough Magnesium, you may end up with potassium not entering the cell, collagen not being produced properly, Calcium not being used properly etc. Lack of Magnesium is quite usual. Nutritionwise good sources are green plants, they contain chlorophyll, which shares identical molecular core-structure with hemoglobin, they differ in the green having magnesium ion in the center of four Nitrogen-ions, the red having Iron in the middle. Other good source is nuts and seeds. Magnesium requires manganese in the body to function properly. 2 thirds of u.s. citizens donīt meet the RDA, which in itself might be too low. Symptoms of Mg-deficiency range from high blood pressure, to heart symptoms, spasms, cramps, partially weakened immunity(low Mg hinders immunoglubolin-production) etc.

Mineral-summary: Calcium-Magnesium(optimal ratio 2,1:1), Potassium-Sodium. There are other very important minerals, Zinc, Chromium, Selenium, Manganese and several others, but to keep the story reasonably short I will just remind you that minerals are really IMPORTANT as electrolytes, ie they make basically water able to conduct electricity. If you all the time drink mineral-wise poorer water(possibly huge amounts of it), you end up leaking the minerals from your body. Drinking just distilled water basically kills you. Many of the longest-living populations drink mineral-rich waters, therefore making sure their bodies are able to conduct and hold on to electricity - energy. I encourage you to use wide spectrum source of minerals.

Vitamins
Vitamin A, eat liver now and then, if you donīt happen to be a vegetarian. Infant can store from mothers milk(if present there) vitamin A for the need of up to 20 years. It is therefore possible that you start to develope vitamin A deficiency in your thirties and wonder how it is possible with the same diet youīve been having for a decade. Betacarotene is provided in carrots for example, which is converted into vitamin A.

Vitamin B, a good general source in theory is chlorella, but a few tablets a day just wonīt do it, even with 50-100 capsules a day the amounts donīt meet even RDA, but I DO EXPECT the vitamins in a natural source to be more readily bioavailable than in a synthetic product. You need to use vitamin B complex, they must all be available for the body. Inositol, which formerly was one of vitamin b:s, is a possible good solution for malabsorption in the intestines(you take supplements, but they donīt seem to work), combined with Q10 ubikinon.

Vitamin C: HUGELY important. Because it is "old" news, it can easily be forgotten.
- essential for stresshormone production(cortisol, adrenaline) in adrenal gland. Without them your body cannoīt routinely alternate itīs hormone levels to basically wake you up in the morning, let alone react to stressful events. Bear in mind that cortisol is made from cholesterol
- humans donīt produce vitamin C, biosynthesis in almost all the other lifeforms makes vitamin C from glucose - hence perhaps your craving for sugar is a sign of vitamin C deficiency.
- essential for production of collagen with amino acids lycine and proline. Proline can be produced in the body, but lycine is one of the essential amino-acids.
- vitamin C works in the tryptophan-serotonin-conversion, lack of it can lead to lack of serotonin - what I consider to be the "carrier" of good vibes, not the source of them
- vitamin C is needed in the production of carnitin, which is needed when cells wanīt to utilize fat in their energy production, lack can lead to a decreased ability to utilize body fat
- antioxidant, in that role and in the collagen-producing work help to protect the walls of your arteries
Where you can easily see lack of vitamin C at work, is when you look at the stressed young generation. The small amount of vitamin C they get is quickly used by their adrenal glands because of irregular daily rhytm, hectic lifestyle, impulsive games, music and other forms of entertainment. This in turn leads to not being to produce collagen, burn fat etc., you get lack of muscle tone and strength, the knees tend to be weak, resulting in the legs forming x-shape.
Vitamin C is a must, preferably from food, but if it is stored, heated, it is in sunlight or in contact with oxygen, it wonīt last... I suggest anything from 1000mg and up daily from a supplement. If diarrhea occurs, take a little bit less, and avoid taking more than 500mg at one time. If taken in fluid form, maximum of 250-400mg can be absorbed in one time. Calcium aids in absorption. Vitamin C enhances Iron absorption, if you have really high Hb, you possibly need to think about not taking vitamin C at the same time with anything that contains Iron.
There are genetically different sub-groups of population, where approximately one fifth-quarter of westerners tend to be really bad in managing vitamin C(keeping it unoxidized), therefore needing a lot more of it than the next guy.. So in a family one member can suffice with 500mg and the other one needs 2500mg. The absolute minimum a completely healthy, unstressed body needs(utopia..) is about 250-300mg, the RDA is catastrophically low.

Vitamin D: a lot of talk lately. I suggest 50-100 micrograms daily, if you live in my "level", canada or northern states. Vitamin D is more like a hormone than vitamin, there is thread about it, so no more about that. A word of advice though: if you live in a country like Finland where you get 5 hours or less of light through the clouds during wintertime, donīt overdo it, take vitamin D in amounts that help you(so that you notice), but donīt use it to function round the clock during winter, or you end up harming your body. Vitamin D with Calcium and NGF, nerve growth factor adjust agrin, which in turn adjusts the alignment of muscle cells. Therefore vitamin D can increase muscle power if the muscle cells work in coherent direction and not against each other. In your body, vitamin D is produced from cholesterol.

Vitamin E: 20-30ml of olive-oil can do it, fat-soluble antioxidant, good to use.

moving on...

Essential amino-acids
There are 8-10 essential amino-acids(depending on whether histidine and arginine are counted in or considered semi-essential), which serve as basic LEGO-blocks for the body to produce thousands of different protein-structures.
Essential amino acids are:
phenylalanine, valine, threonine, tryptophan, isoleucine, methionine, leucine, lysine (and histidine, arginine)

Seems easy, but for a vegetarian, might be a hitch, you need to be mindful:
- corn lacks lycine(collagen production)
- grain lacks lycine
- soy lacks methionine, only fermented soy-products could be considered recommendable(and for a male soy is not a good choice anyway)
- lentils lack methionine and cystine, they are somewhat produced when you sprout them

Animal sources tend to be complete in amino-acid content. Arginine, which is essential for the production of NO, nitric-oxide, which is needed in the dilation of arteries(that is why you take a nitro under your tongue with angina pectoris). Almonds are a good source of arginine. Organic egg is a good choice in regards to amino acids! I myself use 3 raw eggs daily. I also heat the shells in the oven to get rid of possible salmonella, crush them and use them also. This has to with the mineral content, and also the membrane inside the crust, which is rich in so called essential sugars, or glyconutrients that Iīll get back to later on. Chlorella is also quite good source of amino acids! But you need to use enough of it.
Arginine for example stimulates growth hormone production, therefore aiding healing. It also is required for the function of immune system. Many of the amino acids take secondary or primary part in the formation of collagen structures, in almost all imaginable types of tissues in human body. Some of them have an effect on the production of conenzyme A, which plays a role in the production of essential glyconutrients(later..), they are essential in DNA/RNA etc. I hope you take your time and do the research yourself, it is not reasonable to present here.

Summary: you need to take care of your essential amino acids. This will not make sure that everything is okay, as liver is one of the most essential organs that make up different kinds of protein-combinations from them - if you are stressed, angry, depressed, anxious, use too much alcohol, get too much of toxic substances in the air etc., the liver just might not be able to do the work. Emotions are therefore as essential as are the amino acids.

Essential glyconutrients
In chinese medicine there is a concept called Jing. It is a material form of Qi, it is called also essence, therefore essential. It has to do with the basic constitution you inherit and it is supplied with your nutrition and managed by the way you life.
Material forms of this Jing are semen, egg, bile, bone marrow, cerebro-spinal fluid, the Jing is said to "fill the brain". This information has lead me to discover what are these substances: for sure omega 3 have to do with it, cholesterol DEFINITELY has a lot to do with this Jing. It is so sad, that we have this industry that has pushed cholesterol lowering drugs for decades that also inhibit cholesterol production in the brain, which is essential in the functioning of the brain synapses and the production of neurons. This in my opinion has been a major factor(not the only one though) leading to epidemic of alzheimers and dementia.

Until this far propably some of you have found no biggies in my summary, however I give you a salute if the next stuff is plain and obvious.

One thing lead to another in my search, when I tried to figure what substances might be in jeopardy when you get the symptoms of deficient Jing: poor memory, dizziness, weak lower back and knees, premature aging, weak bones, child growing slowly, hereditary diseases, weak sexual energy, infertility etc., More and more people live longer, but develope signs of aging way too young. I started to study so called essential glyconutrients.

In general they have to do with cell-communication, immunity, memory, the health of brain, the structures of the joints, including cartilage and the synovial fluid etc.
The problem with these is, that normal nutrition nowadays no longer supplies us with these. Some of them can be obtained quite easily, but for some, not anymore - do you eat your meat with the tendons, fascia, do you use bone, marrow and cartilage when you cook dinner, do you eat kidney, liver or heart?

Essential glyconutrients are:
1. Glucose
2. Mannose
3. Galactose
4. Fucose
5. N-Acetyl-Galactosamine
6. N-Acetyl-Glucosamine
7. N-Acetyl-Neuraminic Acid, also Sialic Acid
8. Xylose

Glucose is the basic form from which your body can produce the others, normal white sugar is glucose+fructose, lactose is glucose+galactose..Too much glucose is not good, the rest of the essential sugars actually are not sweet in flavor. Regarding glucose from nutrition, liver basically can produce all the glucose you need.

Mannose is absorbed quite slowly, it is antibacterial, antiviral, antiparasitic, antifungal. It is really efficient against esteria coli, for example in urinary tract infection. This is the reason why cranberries of aloe vera can help you with it. Exceptionally important in intracellular communication. Aids immune system. Mannose lowers triglyseride lewels, which actually have some causal relationship with heart-disease.
Can be found in aloe vera, shiitake mushroom, cranberries, eggplant, cabbage, tomato, green beans.

Galactose forms lactose with glucose. It is important in immunity, function of lungs, is important in memory. Substance called galactosylceramide which is derived from galactose is found in all nervous tissues, but can amount to 2% of the dry weight of grey matter and 12% of white matter of the brain.
Galactose activates natural-killer-cells, is important to kidney function, is essential in cellular communication, improves wound healing, is the chosen energy
form of sperm and seems to effect sperm formation, deficiency can lead to rheumatoid arthritis, colon cancer, LED, poor immunity etc.
Good source is non-homogenized milk product, unless you are lactose intolerant! Other sources include grapes, cranberries, apples, figs, cauliflower, broccoli, asparragus, rhubarb, bruccels sprout. I myself have am lactose-intolerant, which clearly has during 30 years led me to deficient in galactose. How about you? Actually lactose breaking down to glucose and galactose is not very ideal, they both compete of the same pathway, therefore making galactose challenging to digest.

Galactose is present in myelin sheath of the nerves - it glycolipids form 70-80% of the myelin sheath and galactose is by far the biggest contributor there. We are starting to get a picture of galactose deficiency being a possible contributor to different types of neurological diseases.

In general galactose is a most important one to have, because it is demanded in various processes - in brain matter, myelin sheath, hormone production and as the precursor to 6 other essential sugars and I am sure many other processes.

Dietary sources of galactose (in mg of Galactose per 100 grams of produce) are:
Dairy products
Fruit such as Apples (800), Apricot (600), Banana (200), Blackberries (1,000), Cherries (400), Cranberries (1,200), Currants (800), Dates (800), Grapes (300), Kiwi Fruit (700), Mango (1,700), Orange (1,600), Nectarine (1,100), Peach (1,300), Pear (600), Pineapple (700), Plums (2,600), Prunes (1,600), Raspberries (900), Rhubarb (1,500), Strawberries (500), Passionfruit (300)
Herbs such as Echinacea, Boswellia, Fenugreek, Chestnuts (2,700)
Vegetables such as Broccoli (2,700), Brussels Sprouts (4,100), Avocado, Cabbage (4,400), Carrot (3,400), Cauliflower (3,200), Celery (2,700), Cucumber (1,600), Potato (1,800), Eggplant (3,500), Tomatoes (1,600), Leeks (6,600), Asparagus (2,800), Lettuce (2,000), Green Beans (4,100), Mushrooms (not buttons) (1,100), Beetroot (1,100), Onions (4,500), Parsnip (2,200), Green Peas (800), Pumpkin (2,400), Spinach (1,400)

Fucose. Adjusts immunity, is amply present in mothers milk, activates nerve cells specialisation, adjusts nervecell growth, is involved in learning process and memory function, maintains healthy liver function, maintains healthy skin, helps treat cancer and rheumatoid arthiritis. Fucose is found in high consentrations in the nervous system, kidneys and testes, it functions in sperm production.Sources: kelp, wakame, shiitake, maitake, seeds, nutritional supplements.

N-Acetyl-Galactosamine Is often used in treatment of knee joint trouble and pain, because in many glucosamine supplements there exists also chondroitin sulfate which in metabolism breaks down to galactosamine. Galactosamine is a part in macrophages and neutrofiles, is used in cancer treatment, adjusts the function of the eyes, is present in retina, light receptors, optic nerve and eye pigment. Galactosamine can help synovial fluid regain its normal state in inflammation. Galactosamines main function concerning joints is forming chondroitin sulphate, which forms cartilage. Sources: cartilage, red algae, clams, shark fin, sour cream. This is one of the essential sugars that you usually develope a deficiency of - when you age, you can no longer synthesize it, and if you donīt eat your cartillage, you donīt get it. One medication that hinder or inhibit some of the procecces needed i for the synthesis of essential sugars in your body is surprising:aspirin, acetylsalicsylic acid, it inhibits normal function of acetyl coenzyme A which is(among MANY other things) essential in the production of these essential sugars. Huge amounts of people use it on a daily basis...

N-Acetyl-Glucosamine is propably the one that you have heard of - it is quite usual supplement for treatment of joint pain. It helps the immune system, it is present in thyroid, testes, liver, intestine. It is a part in so called glycoprotein structures(remember amino acids), which constitute cartilage, mucuous membranes, foremost itīs activity is connected to being a part of hyaluronic acid - a main ingredient in synovial fluid. It can also prevent the spreading of influenza-virus and herpes virus. It can be used in the treatment of chrons disease and ulcerative colitis. Sources: bovine cartilage, shark fin, shiitake. Improves insulin-production. Important for the function of thyroid. Interesting note is, that a product made out of egg shell membrane has proved out to be even more efficient - possibly because it provides other essential sugars as well.

N-Acetyl-Neuraminic Acid or Sialic Acid has to do with brain development, learning, memory. It is highly efficient agains influenza A and B. It is well provided in mothers milk, it is found in cerebrospinal fluid, brain, kidney, saliva etc. It inhibits the release of histamine, therefore it can ease asthma and allergic reactions. Adjusts immunefunction, is a major factor in the management of mucus, it manages the consistency of mucus in nasal tract, so that it can stop allergens and microbes as well as possible. Sources: eggs, kidney, brain, skin, whey protein isolate. During pregnancy it regulates the development of the fetus ja via breast feeding continues to do so after birth.

Xylose. Antibacterial, antifungal, adjusts the function of white blood cells, prevents cancers of intestines. Sources: aloe vera, birch sap, raspberry, okra, spinach, broccoli, peas, corn, cabbage, eggplant.

Summary: chinese donīt suggest wakame, shiitake, maitake and eating animals whole for nothing. One anecdotal evidence supporting the importance of essential glyconutrients was when I found a study which researched the composition of the birds nests that chinese have used eat in pursuit of longevity. Tha carbohydrates that are present, are mostly these essential sugars.
If you are fit, and you get the usual 2(glucose and galactose) out of these in sufficient amounts from your nutrition, you can produce the rest from there on. They share the same basic molecular structure, but have to go through up to 15 conversions, which is not energy efficient. So you should include them in your daily nutrition - the best you can.
I have found a few supplements that provide all of the eight essential sugars, but there are not many. If anyone is into NONI-juice, a good quality juice can to my knowledge provide 7 out of 8.
Someone has brought up bovine colostrum, which is definitely a good choice, it is not rich just in immunoglobulins but in these essential sugars as well - as is human mothers milk.

One example of the importance of essential sugars is that in 1 erythropoetin-molecule you have 9xMannose, 18xglucosamine, 3xfucose, 1xgalactosamine, 13xgalactose, 11xsialic acid with a long chain of aminoacids. (Check out the picture at: http://enfo.agt.bme.hu/drupal/sites/default/files/epo-structure.png ) Should you lack the ability to present your body with 100% the need from your own synthesis + nutrition combined, your capability to produce EPO -> red blood cells is compromised. All you need for trouble to come your way is you getting 99,9% of your needs met and after some time, your body will slowly begin to manifest symptoms - part of that is definitely normal aging, but if we can help ourselves some, letīs do it.
The essential sugars are present in all of the so called glycoprotein hormones, they are:
Follicle-stimulating hormone
Luteinizing hormone
Thyroid-stimulating hormone
Human chorionic gonadotropin
Alpha-fetoprotein
Erythropoietin (EPO)
These hormones have very much to do with reproduction in general, lack of essential sugars, in my opinion can lead to lack of ability to produce these hormones, which can lead to menstrual disorders, infertility, repeated miscarriages etc.

One important thing is that yes carbohydrates in the form of white sugar, or via consumption of starch (white bread, pasta etc.) in too great amounts(which is the way to do it in western hemisphere ;-) ) is not good for you, but on the other hand there are these LIFE-CHANGING important monosaccharides aka essential glyconutrients that are also carbohydrates.

CONCLUSION:
1. You need to have your minerals.
2. You need to have your vitamins.
3. You need to have your 8 essential amino acids + some
4. You need to have your 8 essential sugars
5. Essential oils, omega 3 and 6 in a correct ratio(more of 3 than 6). Use butter instead of "plastics"..
6. You donīt need anything that is processed heavily, my advice: cook your food from as scratch as you can, if possible grow it.
7. You donīt need to overeat, if possible under eat, it is better, worms live fifty times longer when they under eat. Eat simple meals and remember that with the food you also ingest whatever it is that you are feeling at the moment.
8. You need to manage your energy: emotions, your rhytm(daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and periods of life) according to your hereditary resources and of that moment and according to your surroundings(cold, warm, spring, autumn, pollution, electrosmog. etc.)

Thatīs what I have in a nutshell come up with so far. No one of these is more essential than the others. Lack of any one of these can really be a problem. I encourage everyone to study these things, Iīve covered only some sources for the substance, but on the other hand, not everyone can be interested in this, so I am glad to be of assistance if someone finds this post helpful. At least it is quite LONG...

If someone is into geometry and numerology, one could possibly have something to say in regards to why there are 8 basic blocks in two of the categories!

Yours Ultima Thule

cowens66
1st February 2011, 19:33
Hi celt,

I have a lot of info on this but will just give you a few things I have learned just about protein, you need it to feed your muscles if you are lifting.

One of best sources of natural protein that I have come across is Hemp Powder. Not a fad, just natural hemp protein, hemp's been around for a while. :)

Stay away from soy unless you know it is gmo free. Most soy products are gmo. Soy is the largest gmo crop in the world.

Be Well.

dcflux
1st February 2011, 20:04
I have had the most success with Colostrum. Here is some info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gowEItOaNpg&feature=player_embedded

Here is another 2 part section of the series from the Longevity Conference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_-3qEsU_Qg&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUqpfSTrkqU&feature=player_embedded

If you would like to try it, Google it... find your own source that works for you. I have mine... I prefer organic bovine colostrum. It is not milk as it is not produced in the mammary glands, it comes from the blood. It does not get pasteurized.

:D

Arrowwind
1st February 2011, 22:47
Good source of natural calcium is eggshells. Use coffee-mill to grind them and eat.

Just make sure your egg shells are really clean. Supermarket eggs can be contaiminated with salmonella on the outside. I prefer to compost my egg shells.
I would also question the digestability of egg shells... i know it works to feed chickens eggshells but don't know about people.

Calcium is best got from broccoli... calcium citrate in pill form if you gotta take a pill. Always balance your calcium with magnesium.
The 1200 mg a day for calcium being the current recommendations will lead to vasuclar disease and heart disease. No more than 350mg a day is needed.
you need magnesium for proper utilization and a bunch more nutrients to make sure it goes into your bones where you want most of it.
Muscle cramps are caused by the build up of lactic acid or by a magnesium deficiency. Magnesium relaxes muscles, calcium contracts muscles.
You need both in the correct ratio. You can take too much calcium but almost impossibe to take too much magnesium.
Vitamin K2 is essential for proper calcium metabolism and deposit in bone, along with D3, silica, boron, strontium.

Jean-Marie
1st February 2011, 23:19
FYI on the Vitamin B. Most people do not know this unless they have taken a physiology or anatomy class. The only place that vitamin B is absorbed is in your mouth and in 1 inch of your intestines. So if you take a regular over the counter vitamin B you will just be peeing it out. Vitamin B12 Complex is available at most Walgreens, or CVS chain drug stores. You will want the Sublingual Vitamin B Complex that is cherry flavored and melts under your tongue. My family uses the Nature's Bounty Brand.

The Vitamin B Complex is comprised of the essential B Vitamins - Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B9, Vitamin B12 plus the vitamins Biotin, Choline and Inositol. Vitamin B Complex is essentially needed for the proper functioning of almost every process in your body. Energy Production, Healthy Nervous System, Good Digestion. THIS IS ESSENTIAL for your bodies production of HCl (Hydrochloric acid) and to assist in the breakdown of fats, proteins and carbohydrates.

So if you are trying to build muscle don't forget Vitamin B12 Complex!

Jean-Marie

Lumial8
2nd February 2011, 11:18
If you want to add good quality nutrition that has fairly reliable sources of almost everything your body needs you may consider taking a powdered green superfood supplement with water - has complex carbs, protein, fibre, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, SOD, etc etc and can really boost your energy quickly and help your beody to detox after a workout too. These can be really expensive as a few have mentioned but I buy half a kilo at a time online. I'm not sure about the rules about links to these online shops - buit if you pm me, I can tell you where I get mine. I'm not a bodybuilder but am aware of the need to get enough good-quality nutruients and protein to keep my fat to muscle ratio more acceptable to me! ;) Also, it even contains Vitamin B12 - this is food form so your body can absorb it well. I hope this helps

conk
3rd February 2011, 15:51
Ultima Thule, that seems like a pitifully low dose of vitamin D, not even up to the too low RDA.

Ultima Thule
3rd February 2011, 16:00
Ultima Thule, that seems like a pitifully low dose of vitamin D, not even up to the too low RDA.

50-100 micrograms daily is(depending on the country) somewhere around 5-20 times the RDA of 5 to 10 micrograms a day. Vitamin D RDA is in micrograms (ug often, I donīt know how to type the correct symbol), not in milligrams. I hope this cleared that up, if not I might have a typo that I didnīt notice.

ps. 3 feet of snow here and still more coming ;-)

ThePythonicCow
5th February 2011, 18:36
I've just begun to read your post, Ultima Thule. So far it looks excellent.

One detail. The spelling of "Q10 ubikinon" appears to be a Slavic language (guessing.)

The American English spelling would be Coenzyme Q10, or ubiquinone.

... just a detail.

ThePythonicCow
5th February 2011, 18:41
50-100 micrograms daily is(depending on the country) somewhere around 5-20 times the RDA of 5 to 10 micrograms a day. Multiply micrograms of Vitamin D by 40 to get International Units (IU) of Vitamin D, which is how it is most commonly seen for some of us.

So 50 to 100 mcg (ug) of Vitamin D would be 2000 to 4000 IU of Vitamin D, which is a sensible recommendation in my view.

Ultima Thule
5th February 2011, 18:46
I've just begun to read your post, Ultima Thule. So far it looks excellent.

One detail. The spelling of "Q10 ubikinon" appears to be a Slavic language (guessing.)

The American English spelling would be Coenzyme Q10, or ubiquinone.

... just a detail.

Thank you for the notification, finnish...
I tried not to go too far into stuff that is quite usual and instead concentrate on what I belive to not be common knowledge and yet of great importance.

ThePythonicCow
5th February 2011, 19:21
Hi! This is my first real post here.

I have been for a few years trying to figure out what is essential in healthy bodily functions, and therefore in developing the body also in athletic sense. What immediately follows, is what does your body need for longevity, I trained intensely for over a decade and am currently focused on nutrition because of the consequences..

What ultimately directs my attention is my basis in chinese medicine and the theory of it. That makes the search interesting, you can be sure that if the ancient chinese said something, you will find substance to it.

I am going to keep this post as brief as possible, but the amount of information I am trying to incorporate here easily expands exponentially, so bear with me, Iīll try to stick to the level where most "bottlenecks" form..

That is a stunning first post, Ultima Thule. Most entire books on nutrition that I've read cover less ground. I could find no more flaw than one spelling that was not colloquial American English.

As some of us discussed earlier on the thread Action Alert - FDA is going after Vitamin C (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?10505-Action-Alert-FDA-is-going-after-Vitamin-C), I've been using of liposomal Vitamin C for better absorption, and at higher dosage, up to bowel tolerance (which can shift dramatically under stress or disease.) See that thread for details.

Do you have any suggestions, Ultima Thule, for restoring the magnesium content of drinking water. I run my water through various filters including carbon and reverse osmosis, to get rid of most of the pollutants in it (chlorine, fluoride, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, fertilizers, ...) and then restore the mineral content with a splash of Willard's Water and a pinch of Sea Salt. But neither of these are rich in magnesium. I'd guess that most magnesium salts would not provide much absorbable magnesium ... just a guess.

I supplement my magnesium intake with transdermal magnesium, but that is less convenient for my habits than would be adding something to my water.

Ultima Thule
7th February 2011, 19:23
Thank you Paul!

I have been using this Austrian Schindelen mineral powder on/off to enrich the water. Some clay-mineral powders have also seemed interesting. It definitely is a problem when we have diets going on about drinking a gallon a day - possibly the end result leaving one depleted of minerals.

I donīt have anything exact here, BUT my experience has been that it is better to add just a little bit of mineral powder of your choice to every glass of water that you drink, instead of taking them in bigger amounts a few times a day. I feel that less has been more for me in that way. What I have also found(just a feeling), is that chlorella in sufficient amounts(handful a day) seems to provide my body with Mg better than a pill with unarguably more of Mg content.

Ultima Thule

ThePythonicCow
10th February 2011, 04:33
I have been using this Austrian Schindelen mineral powder on/off to enrich the water.
That would be Schindeles Mineral's (http://www.hiwtc.com/products/schindeles-minerals-200212-32849.htm)?

Its ingredients are:

100g contains:61.9g silicic acid,15.7g aluminum oxide,5.3g iron oxide,3.5g kalium oxide,1.58g magnesium oxide,740mg phosphorus,160mg calcium oxide,32mg manganese,12.1mg vanadium,9.8mg zinc,9mg chromium,6mg nickel,4.4mg copper,1.15mg cobalt,180mcg molybdenum,30mcg boron.
That list surprises me a bit.

I was not aware I needed silicon, nor that silicic acid was stable.
I presume I should minimize aluminum intake.
I presume that magnesium oxide is quite difficult to dissolve in water or to absorb in the gut.

Am I missing something here?

Ultima Thule
10th February 2011, 14:18
Yeah, you got the right thing.
Silicon is a really good thing there, you know if Iīve understood correctly silicon is the other known basis for life, among carbon. Essential for nervous system, benefits hair, nails, skin...In schindelen you have also the trace minerals that are quickly referenced to in the link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1916090. The amount of aluminum is a factor that is a bit concerning as is the amount of iron. I would not use schindelen if one has too high Hb, but if one has low Hb, it has proved to be quite good a product!
Iīve had some email conversations with the producer, and they basically have not received any knowledge of trouble in over 20 years. Try to search and I bet you can easily find discussion about it.

If I got my way, I would have schindelen with less iron and a lot less aluminum, but what can you do...
I have been at some trying to manage a sound picture of humic and fulvic minerals, bet never actually got around to trying them. http://www.vitalearthminerals.com/ for example...
For the last six months or so my main enthusiasm has been in the chase for the essential glyconutrients, that more and more appear in critical places in human physiology. They seem to be well represented in the compositions of many hormones, follicle stimulating hormone and erythropoietin, which(the hormones) I find critical concerning longevity, after all they are the impulse that really kicks your backside, or mine ;-) That is where I believe to be spending even more hours.

In general minerals definitely are Yin compared to the electrical activity - Yang - that many of them make possible, definitely most IMPORTANT. I have an intuition that a good quality mineral supplement would have to be found naturally occuring from the earth, corals, lichen(? the stuff that grows on rocks). I would go for the lichen in Finland, but sadly Tshernobyl 1987 is kind of not over yet :p