PDA

View Full Version : How many years would it take to reach Alpha Centauri

The One
10th January 2011, 09:11
How many years would it take to reach Alpha Centauri travelling in a space shuttle at 22,000 MPH

Calculation by scientist http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.easysurf.cc%2Fcnver15.htm&ei=QMoqTYaALomLhQf1mJSVAg&usg=AFQjCNHoXjlQ31msr5NTEN9SmbLQz4YVew

Time = ?
Distance to Alpha Centauri = 24,000,000,000,000 miles
Speed travelling = 22,000 mph

Time = 24,000,000,000,000 miles / 22,000 mph
Time = 1,090,909,090 hours (124,533 years)

calculation based on The julian year http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_year_(astronomy)

Time Dilation traveling close to the speed of light

This is where you have to expand your thinking somewhat. When it comes to the effects of travelling close to the speed of light, it sometimes appears to be mind-boggling when you hear some of the theories that talk about time travel and travelling the great, great distances to the stars in our galaxy and even more so to the other galaxies in the universe. The effects it has on the space travellers and to the people watching them on their home planet is something out of a science fiction novel. It is also true

I am no expert on this, however a Professor at Harvard University. When asked about the time delation effect when going to Rigel Kent [Alpha Centauri] at 99% the speed of light…He said the occupants inside the craft would age by One hour-14 minutes and 20 seconds. So as you can see, the effects of going near the speed of light are massive.

And on that scale, travelling 80 light years would age you roughly one day, plus or minus a hour or two. So in that sense extremely distant star travel is possible within a human beings lifetime…For you. If you are on the craft and it is going at near light speed. But by the time you arrive at a very far off star system, your folks and friends at home may have already aged 100+ years and are long gone which is not something anyone on such a craft would want to think about.

So if we can think outside the box space travel is possible if we already have the technology.

Humble Janitor
10th January 2011, 09:16
I'm sure it would be easy for someone with no relatives or friends but for most, it's not something that's feasible.

witchy1
10th January 2011, 09:18
I thought time slowed down more and more the further away from earth you are.......not sure where I read that - I'll go check

Bill Ryan
10th January 2011, 13:04
--------

Maybe just a few minutes. :)

Functional stargates (or craft/pilots that open traversible wormholes in spacetime before them as they 'travel') seem to be the transport of choice.

Even Einstein's time dilation effect can't explain functional intergalactic travel. For anyone traveling at nearly the speed of light, it kinda works for them - but they lose contact forever with their home base, family, society and culture. It'd be a one-way trip in time: no way back.

Even for travel to Alpha Centauri (just next door), the craft are almost certainly bending spacetime. And to anywhere else, they have to.

Tidbit: Henry Deacon hinted back in 2006 - but never stated clearly - that we have functional two-way traffic with Alpha Centauri, where he said there were three inhabited planets (the 2nd, 3rd and 5th).

The beings there were humanoid - of course: two arms, two legs, but with different color skin. He said that one of the planets was pretty much a desert planet, but was inhabited.

Kerry and I just listened with great interest. Henry seemed to be very serious, and was not trying to impress. The conversation was very much in passing when we were discussing other things.

Paul
10th January 2011, 17:10
I am no expert on this, however a Professor at Harvard University. When asked about the time delation effect when going to Rigel Kent [Alpha Centauri] at 99% the speed of light…He said the occupants inside the craft would age by One hour-14 minutes and 20 seconds. So as you can see, the effects of going near the speed of light are massive. That time dilation factor doesn't seem right.

The time dilation factor due to relativity is 1/sqrt(1 - v*v/c*c). For v = 0..99c, this calculates to 1/sqrt(1 - (.99)*(.99)) == 7.092.

Alpha Centauri is 4.2 light years away. So traveling there at 0.99 the speed of light will take about 4.242 years by earth clocks, or 4.242/7.092 == 0.598 years by onboard clocks, not 1 hour 14 minutes.

One would have to move at ..99999999945 the speed of light to have only 1 hour 14 minutes elapse onboard.

(I am not entirely confident of the above calculations, not having done them before, but I would be quite surprised if the 1 hour 14 minutes was anywhere close.)

Hughe
10th January 2011, 17:54
How many years would it take to reach Alpha Centauri travelling in a space shuttle at 22,000 MPH

Calculation by scientist http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.easysurf.cc%2Fcnver15.htm&ei=QMoqTYaALomLhQf1mJSVAg&usg=AFQjCNHoXjlQ31msr5NTEN9SmbLQz4YVew

Time = ?
Distance to Alpha Centauri = 24,000,000,000,000 miles
Speed travelling = 22,000 mph

Time = 24,000,000,000,000 miles / 22,000 mph
Time = 1,090,909,090 hours (124,533 years)

calculation based on The julian year http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_year_(astronomy)

Time Dilation traveling close to the speed of light

This is where you have to expand your thinking somewhat. When it comes to the effects of travelling close to the speed of light, it sometimes appears to be mind-boggling when you hear some of the theories that talk about time travel and travelling the great, great distances to the stars in our galaxy and even more so to the other galaxies in the universe. The effects it has on the space travellers and to the people watching them on their home planet is something out of a science fiction novel. It is also true

I am no expert on this, however a Professor at Harvard University. When asked about the time delation effect when going to Rigel Kent [Alpha Centauri] at 99% the speed of light…He said the occupants inside the craft would age by One hour-14 minutes and 20 seconds. So as you can see, the effects of going near the speed of light are massive.

And on that scale, travelling 80 light years would age you roughly one day, plus or minus a hour or two. So in that sense extremely distant star travel is possible within a human beings lifetime…For you. If you are on the craft and it is going at near light speed. But by the time you arrive at a very far off star system, your folks and friends at home may have already aged 100+ years and are long gone which is not something anyone on such a craft would want to think about.

So if we can think outside the box space travel is possible if we already have the technology.

You will never get grasp the idea of space travel unless you are willing to move away Einstein's special relativity theory, which serves as a main block to keep us stay in a box.

The mainstream scientists still use it for excuse of FTL (Faster than light) travel is impossible. Well, look at different principles that understand the reality of nature. Once you have understand how the Quantum mechanics' reality, the existence of matter, FTL or interdimensional travel is real.

What bothers me is how far the secret space program has advances?

In my head, space travel is instant travel - jump - point A to point B or interdimensional slide or both. The uncertainty is the space changes all the time. Suppose we have those FTL technologies, we will need a lot of time to map out the space. Send out a lot of probes and exploration crafts to gather accurate space maps which tells what's out there.

I've been a great fan of space travel. I was impressed by the SETI project when I was early 20s, running the Homeseti data analysis program on my computer. But, I was naive and did not think independently based on logic and intuition.

Later on, as I had learned more knowledge, the SETI turned into a huge scam against humanity. It's worse than what NASA has done to American people. At least, in my world, SETI is a complete joke. Speed of light never be the method of communication in interplanetary space travel.

Sometimes, in imagination I travel to many places in space even to other universes and dimensions with scientific methods. Is it impossible? Not at all, at least in my world, I have seen different reality of world existence. So, many things are realistic to me.

David Sereda made a good introductory of FTL using Quantum mechanics. It totally makes sense. Turing a space ship into a light ball and slide through the space, zero light and the spaceship might reach to the singularity on hyper dimension which nullify the limitation of space time 4D universe. Once the ship reach other point of space, it materialises the ship, and travel at normal speed that human bodies handle.

Isn't human consciousness does it too? OBE, remote viewing, telepathy, etc.
How could we see past and future? In meditation, it's just one of human potential. People do experience and exploit these are too.

Then, it comes down to one's reality how he/she looks at things.

I used to explain FTL travel for my friends few times and their eyes were glowing like children. Most of people think only educated, bright minds can imagine or think about esoteric subjects. I don't think so. Who invented the air plane? The writer of The Time Machine, H.G Wells did not have master/doctor's degree in mathematics nor physics but he described the time travel so convincingly.

How much do we know about universe? 5% by mainstream scientists. The irony is even this 5%, TPTH deliberately suppresses theories and technologies that liberate human condition. FTL is a good example. I'm certain the secret of manipulating space and time, of course gravity, well sorted out by ourselves nowadays. 100 years ago, greatest scientists and inventors, designed and demonstrated anti-gravity devices.

I live in 6D world at least. I do know I have limitation, the reality is challenging. Still, I'm completely free of imagination inside my head. In there, everything is possible not the digitalised form of five senses reality.

Hughe
10th January 2011, 18:22
--------

Functional stargates (or craft/pilots that open traversible wormholes in spacetime before them as they 'travel') seem to be the transport of choice.

Even Einstein's time dilation effect can't explain functional intergalactic travel. For anyone traveling at nearly the speed of light, it kinda works for them - but they lose contact forever with their home base, family, society and culture. It'd be a one-way trip in time: no way back.

Even for travel to Alpha Centauri (just next door), the craft are almost certainly bending spacetime. And to anywhere else, they have to.

Tidbit: Henry Deacon hinted back in 2006 - but never stated clearly - that we have functional two-way traffic with Alpha Centauri, where he said there were three inhabited planets (the 2nd, 3rd and 5th).

The beings there were humanoid - of course: two arms, two legs, but with different color skin. He said that one of the planets was pretty much a desert planet, but was inhabited.

Kerry and I just listened with great interest. Henry seemed to be very serious, and was not trying to impress. The conversation was very much in passing when we were discussing other things.

One of my fascinating stories of space travel is the Project Serpo.
Gee, I could feel the excitement and pain, emotions, etc. while I was reading it.

The advancement of sciences all points to the wave phenomena, everything is interconnected, dynamic, probabilistic existence. The wave function of quantum mechanics, Fourier series in mathematics and its application for other fields.

Few days ago, I played around a simple code that generates unlimited whole numbers and find the sum. I used the simple algorithm of grade one or two number addition. There are many algorithms out there, one of these is the Fourier Transformation. Hmm... I might implement it one day.

The waves construct solid matter, even whole numbers.

The One
12th January 2011, 12:43
Having discussed a little bit about the speed of light and the differences in time it creates i wonder if wormholes or stargates do exist then the time thing becomes something totally different.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCIQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.physlib.com%2Fworm_holes.html&ei=sqUtTZ7LLYnQhAfFwOWnCQ&usg=AFQjCNG6ZTHnqlQ-MUcflMuABFqifQXJgw

Anchor
12th January 2011, 12:58
Interesting sums, but one little spec of space dust in the way of major tom's tin-can at near C and its all over.

Etherios
12th January 2011, 13:59
--------

Bill do you think that atm we live in a world much like the world in Stargate series? Do you think we are that far separated to the up civilization and the down rest of us?