PDA

View Full Version : Facebook generation suffer information withdrawal syndrome

shiva777
10th January 2011, 18:29
Turning off mobile phones, avoiding the internet and tuning out of the television and radio can leave people suffering from symptoms similar to those seen in drug addicts trying to go cold turkey, researchers have found

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8235302/Facebook-generation-suffer-information-withdrawal-syndrome.html

yaksuit
10th January 2011, 18:37
"Information Deprivation Disorder." as its coined in the article
I assume that could mean there is an "Information Overload Disorder"
I can imagine doctors prescribing medication for this. "sigh"

Dale
10th January 2011, 18:44
An interesting aspect of "Information Deprivation Disorder" would be it's similarities to the old, slightly trite though none-the-less clear, concept of "filling the void."

As numerous psychological studies have indicated, individuals with average to above average incomes tend to fill these "voids" with material goods; whereas those in lower income situations tend to fill them with people.

Might I suggest a possible correlation, or similarity, between information as a variable and people as a variable for this group?

Either way, it's another way to keep a large bit of people occupied, for lack of a better term.

noprophet
10th January 2011, 19:12
I suppose everyone feeds off something to occupy their existence. Not much point in judging any of it good or bad. After all, with the innate repeating pattern in everything, I'm sure those variables contributing to expanding awareness can be filled by many systems. And we do get quite addicted to expanding our awareness.