PDA

View Full Version : Surviving impending ice age

Sidney
14th January 2011, 19:26
http://www.anno70.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=536&Itemid=26

I hadn't really considered how serious this is until seeing it as this article presents itself. I'm thinking maybe preparing for indoor gardenning. Has anyone tried to actually sustain a full vegatable garden indoors? I have a family of five to feed, and in a couple more years, there seriously could be no more food.

Fred259
15th January 2011, 23:15
http://www.anno70.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=536&Itemid=26

I hadn't really considered how serious this is until seeing it as this article presents itself. I'm thinking maybe preparing for indoor gardenning. Has anyone tried to actually sustain a full vegatable garden indoors? I have a family of five to feed, and in a couple more years, there seriously could be no more food.

Enjoyed your post Starchild, as it happens I have been thinking about this as well. So I decided on doing some research and found a new word “Hydroponics”

Look at this! A Hydroponic garden where you can grow your own food, and feed your family for little outward investment in equipment.

Here, a couple in Florida are doing just that, got a good business going as well. Is this the sort of thing you had in mind? The advantage with this solution is you can do this at home in a spare room, basement or garage. Keep a low profile, below the radar if and when things get tough. You say you have a family of five to feed; I have two excluding the wife!

http://www.hydroponics-simplified.com/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroponics

Has anyone got any experience of Hydroponics?

bluestflame
15th January 2011, 23:19
yes it is a method that has also been adapted to enable "clandestine agriculture " with many cases of people growing marijuana in thier roofs and other places of concealment , with the addition of "mercury vapour "lights ...so we know it works

Lifebringer
15th January 2011, 23:27
You need pollinators. (bees, butterflies, fruit flies) I wanted to start a winter garden, w/thick plastic stapled to wood post to keep warmth in and still use the sun. Unfortunately, that will have to be next winter. Once they pollinate during the summer, some stay on the plants and the bees, just before they die in the fall, fly around carrying pollen, so you have to catch them before they go.

But you can grow your plants in doors and transplant them, but hardly any fruit on them, unless you fertilize. WE have to do something. One thing for sure, God willing the ice isn't toxic, is you can melt the snow and store water for the drought season when the heat from the sun becomes too intense. One season into another, doesn't allow for proper growth. Shorter growing seasons and rapidly changing temperatures. Hardly any spring or fall season, just winter and instant summer. We will definately have to adapt. I say store can food, to get you through, until the warmer season come.

Lifebringer
15th January 2011, 23:33
I should have listened to my thought adjuster five years ago, when it said, "start saving water." For two years I did, and then my utilities got cut off, and we used it for two months. (family of six)
I used left over empty two liter soda/juice bottles and stored them under the house, in the bottom of the sink cabinets, they were everywhere, and then we started loading them on the pick up truck. Starting all over again, snow water is fresh and should be pretty good, provided no chem trails.
Good luck.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

They won't be organic, but you'll eat.

Fractalius
15th January 2011, 23:36
Sorry slightly unrelated regards ice age but relates to maybe a course of action for Australian flood areas. And from seeing this technique mentioned before, it is a form of 'Wick hydroponics".

http://www.new-ag.info/focus/focusItem.php?a=1015

HORIZONS
15th January 2011, 23:37
If it gets that bad that we have to grow our own food indoors to survive an ice age - good luck getting the needed electricity to have an indoor garden. You will need at least two 1000 watt metal halide (MH) lights and a high pressure sodium (HPS) - just for the lighting - you will need many other electrical gadgets as well. In fact, a mini power plant would be nice since you would need to run the lights 24 hours a day.

Fred259
15th January 2011, 23:43
Melt snow ! I have been doing that for the last 51 days in our business as the pipes are still frozen in the street. We’re like a developing nation now in the UK you know. We have 5 women working here, every time they go for a “wettie” its Fred we need more snow for the toilets!

Lifebringer
15th January 2011, 23:50
I knew they were gonna do it. Stupid is as stupid does. i just hope when the poles shift, that we aren't under the ocean we destroyed.

Humble Janitor
16th January 2011, 01:02
I don't understand why people are promoting the fear of an "ice age"?

Are you really that resigned to something to where you think you can't change it?

Just a thought. No offense meant to the OP. I'm just not buying anything at this point, whether it be global cooling or warming or whatnot.

Flash
16th January 2011, 02:07
Hi
Sorry to put illusions down but here , well my grain of salt here: if there is any real Ice Age (not the small one that occured between 1400 and 1800), Philadelphia will be colder than most inhabited parts of Canada, the meditarenean shore as well and all Northen Europe, Russia and Siberia, Canada and most US will be under a few miles of packed ice. Talk about surviving circumstances! I don't thing hydroponic would make any difference - we would be extremely cold and starving. As for US, the south has been damaged with oil, so not a good plant growing ground either.

Therefore, if there is an ice age, I either move south (to the dismayed and probably rejecting locals) or..... I beg for free energy 24hrs, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, hoping the body will adapt to less vitamin D.

Anchor
16th January 2011, 03:43
If you knew for sure that an ice-age was coming to your part of the world, why would you not move to a part of the world where it wasn't?

norman
16th January 2011, 03:52
I knew they were gonna do it. Stupid is as stupid does. i just hope when the poles shift, that we aren't under the ocean we destroyed.

LOL..... I can't help it. That's the first propper chuckle I've had on this forum since December.