PDA

View Full Version : Faery Tales: Wisdom of the ancients?

Kulapops
22nd January 2011, 10:58
I was just reflecting the other day on how much we continually search for new information and new learning when actually, there is already so much wisdom under our very noses.

Take the bible for example, even in the Old Testament there is tons of stuff about how people interact with one another and just about any social situation you can think of is covered.

Fancy your neighbour's daughter? No problem. Go work for him for seven years, and then he'll sneakily bring out the one that's would look good in an agricultural contest. Still want the other other one? That'll be another seven years, mate ! :)

There has been stuff going on for eons, especially every con you can think of, and what's more it's all documented.

Wonderful. My favourites though have to be the fairy tales, because they are a bit more Wrath-lite. Wonderfully morallistic, with great insight into the human condition.

When we look at any organisation of humans, be it in the office, or in politics, or even say secret organisations. Everyone can't really help but follow these patterns. So fairy tales really help my understanding when it comes to things like desire for power, greed, selflessness, gullibility and selfishness of the common and not so common man.

One of my favourites is the Emperor's New Clothes. Displaying wonderfully the ability of a small boy whom no one pays any attention to to figure out the obvious that no one else has seen. And though no one hears at first, soon everyone's eyes are opened.

That is a refreshing thought. No matter how involved we want to get in bedtime stories, perhaps somewhere there is always someone waiting to lead us back to our senses.

Anyone else have a particular favourite they'd care to share?

morguana
22nd January 2011, 11:36
If you enjoy fairy tales kula then you may enjoy the book 'women that run with the wolves', some very lovely person gave me a copy for my birthday ;), do you fancy a read?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarissa_Pinkola_Estés?wasRedirected=true

m

tru3
22nd January 2011, 12:34
If you enjoy fairy tales kula then you may enjoy the book 'women that run with the wolves', some very lovely person gave me a copy for my birthday ;), do you fancy a read?

m

outstanding book. it certainly helped me understand my partner better.

Luke
22nd January 2011, 15:39
I feel in many tales, the realities that have been eradicated from the historical record exist .. they cannot be completely deleted, but they can be disguised.

If one read about the looks of Neanderthal man .. it is not that different from "fantasy" dwarf (shorty, stumpy, oversized/overmuscled arms). Only thing lacking is museum presentation of them wearing maille and wielding axes.

Elves are "messangers" and share same root as "angels" ..

Tolkien wrote history books, as far as I see it ...

But hey I am bit crazy :) :jester:

Kulapops
22nd January 2011, 22:30
For anyone not totally familliar with the story, I found a great retelling on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PzjpkcUaL0

An added bonus is that the people who do this use the name 'bedtime stories' and anyone who follows my posts will know I love the term 'bedtime stories', I thought I'd patented the phrase (kulapops TM) :)

happyexpat
24th January 2011, 15:39
Row, row, row your boat.
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream!

Nursery rhymes are good sources of wisdom, too. :)

LeeEllisMusic
31st January 2011, 16:39

m

I have not read the book yet, but someone sent me this excerpt, which I love~

Cheers,
Lee

You Were Made For This
By Clarissa Pinkola Estes
~Women Who Run with the Wolves

There will always be times when you feel discouraged. I too have felt
despair many times in my life, but I do not keep a chair for it. I will
not entertain it. It is not allowed to eat from my plate.

The reason is this: In my uttermost bones I know something, as do you. It is
that there can be no despair when you remember why you came to Earth,
who you serve, and who sent you here. The good words we say and the good
deeds we do are not ours. They are the words and deeds of the One who
brought us here. In that spirit, I hope you will write this on your
wall: When a great ship is in harbor and moored, it is safe, there can
be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for.

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=149&d=1269210131

bilko
31st January 2011, 16:53
History became legend and legend became myth… and those things which should not have been forgotten… were lost… - Lord of the Rings.

The saying 'Fairy tale' for me, means - a way of remembering; but i am a dreamer and would happily loose myself in such stories.
Think i'll go and google ancient myths.
Thanks for the thread!