PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on photos

Calz
28th January 2011, 15:00
Hi Avalonians

Some of you may already be aware of this but if you post photos on the internet it is worth your while to take 3 minutes for this one:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=7621105

Flash
28th January 2011, 15:14
I can't believe it, would never have thought of it, thanks very much, will show my daughter.

Calz
28th January 2011, 15:31
I can't believe it, would never have thought of it, thanks very much, will show my daughter.

Quite welcome,

Problem here is that most "bad guys" would not have thought of it either and here it is on mainstream tv showing them exactly how.

Flash
28th January 2011, 15:40
Quite welcome,

Problem here is that most "bad guys" would not have thought of it either and here it is on mainstream tv showing them exactly how.

I touht exactly the same when listening to the video. Now anybody knows how easy it is to track the adress of someone and even follow their moves just be the photo they put up on the internet (facebook, twitter, etc).. Every child who has a facebook account should know about this, every parent be aware as well. Won't post any picture of my daughter's birthday for sure!!!
Flash

Pam
28th January 2011, 15:40
Wow! I had no idea...Thank you for posting this valuable information.

Fredkc
28th January 2011, 15:45
This is a decision everyone must make.

The fact is that, should someone take an interest (be it stalker or government) there really is no such thing as private on the Internet.

If you want my rule of thumb, it's basically this:
I do not say, or post anything online that I wouldn't shout from my rooftop.

That said, I am also a fairly 'open book'. I have used this nick, Fredkc on every forum I have participated in for over 10 years. If they want me, I'm not hard to find. But, that was the choice I made.

It is important that you make the choice, otherwise someone will make it for you.
Fred

TWINNICK
28th January 2011, 15:48
Indeed..... you can always rely on msm to tell all the crims how to get what they want. ( complete wankers)

I wish they would do that about black projects and how trillions of $ have been used for there own selfish wants and needs.

..Nick..

HURRITT ENYETO
28th January 2011, 15:49
The Government Agency's have known about this all along. You can just imagine the implications (not to mention them being able to track every GPS enabled phone 24/7) Nice public profiling tool.

HURRITT ENYETO
28th January 2011, 15:54
Indeed..... you can always rely on msm to tell all the crims how to get what they want. ( complete wankers)

I wish they would do that about black projects and how trillions of $ have been used for there own selfish wants and needs.

..Nick..

Just imagine, a Top gun pilot taking a piccy of his brand new shiny TR3-B......location: Mars ooops. lol

norman
28th January 2011, 15:54
Hi Avalonians

Some of you may already be aware of this but if you post photos on the internet it is worth your while to take 3 minutes for this one:

I'm using my soundcard to record a very long video soundtrack at the moment. Can someone please tell me what the video explains about photos, if it's not about the exif data included with evey digital photo?

Gajanana
28th January 2011, 15:56
that just saved me posting some "revealing" fotos :cool:

Calz
28th January 2011, 16:15
The Government Agency's have known about this all along. You can just imagine the implications (not to mention them being able to track every GPS enabled phone 24/7) Nice public profiling tool.

The alpha agencies and black op boys are well documented (at least to those that are awake and aware).

Putting this information out on mainstream tv takes it to a new level ... and hence the added necessity for caution.

When you have a family (and those less willing to accept the awake and aware version) it is "useful" to show them this as the ol' saying "it isn't real until it appears on tv" is in play.

Calz
28th January 2011, 16:39

The fact is that, should someone take an interest (be it stalker or government) there really is no such thing as private on the Internet.

That said, I am also a fairly 'open book'. I have used this nick, Fredkc on every forum I have participated in for over 10 years. If they want me, I'm not hard to find. But, that was the choice I made.

It is important that you make the choice, otherwise someone will make it for you.
Fred

Sage advice Fred and thank you for that.

If I may ...

When a family is involved it becomes more complex.

You offer advice or warnings yet have to respect freewill.

When networking programs such as Facebook offer great happiness to a family member ... what do you do???

Delicate balancing act.

Flash
28th January 2011, 17:00

Fred

You are right Fred cause... you are a grown up. You know what to shout or not from your rooftop. My daughter was followed once she was just 4 (by something - not somebody at this point- like a 45 years old!). I got her just in time. Now she is older and all her friends are on facebook, posting, believe me, anything. They don't know they should not shout everything from their rooftops. My body rooftop (head) blows up sometimes seeing what they post. And then if any problem arise, the answer: "hu....ha...hu... I dunno...". Teaching what it is with this video could be and will be (I hope) very useful. Mom's duty: protecting her offspring.

As for my own rooftop, it is clean. Shouting is used only for business purpose, and sometimes here for example. But yhou are a good crowd hey!??? hu, ha, hu ....

Fredkc
28th January 2011, 17:09
Flash... I have 2 young teen grand daughters on (ugh!) FaceBook.

They have been warned, and have heeded the advice.
Just the same, both I and their mother are "friended" there, so we see what goes by, and by whom, on the page.

Personally, I consider FaceBook about the same as running through a bus station rest room, randomly licking toilet seats. (sooner or later, you're bound to catch something.)
But since they are there... I am there, and so is Mom. ;)
Fred

Dennis Leahy
28th January 2011, 17:10
"EXIF data" is the data that is traveling along with the pixel data, and that EXIF data is what you do not want to include. I always upload from my camera to my own computer, crop and re-save a smaller, lower resolution image (anything over 100dpi or ppi is wasted space unless you're printing), and Save As a new filename, without saving EXIF data. So, the images I upload do not have EXIF data.

If you upload directly from a phone or camera, you may be uploading EXIF data.

Depending on what site you upload to, the EXIF data may be automatically "stripped" (removed), because the site does not want to bother filling their server with extra data. Supposedly (and this surprises me), Facebook strips EXIF data. [Maybe the NSA/CIA keeps their own copy of the original file with the EXIF data, then strips it and applies JPEG compression before loading into the servers used by the Facebook public?]

Here's a utility I found to force-strip the EXIF data from uploaded images (I have not tried it and don't know if it actually works.) http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/exifremover-remove-exif-data/

Dennis

pinkfrost
28th January 2011, 17:12
i'm so glad i don't have children. i would have no hair! i don't know how celebrities (and fame whores) are so open with their pictures and updates on FB...it's an open invitation for stalking.

joedjemal
28th January 2011, 17:25
I'm just gardening. Might be considered subversive these days but I doubt they'll be that worried about it. I have no plans to cause any harm. I used to be a senior web developer I've always assumed that everything I transmit on any medium is recorded somewhere. Doesn't bother me although I do hold my tongue a bit sometimes.

Calz
28th January 2011, 17:48
I'm just gardening. Might be considered subversive these days but I doubt they'll be that worried about it. I have no plans to cause any harm. I used to be a senior web developer I've always assumed that everything I transmit on any medium is recorded somewhere. Doesn't bother me although I do hold my tongue a bit sometimes.

Exactly (and thank you)

With this hitting mainstream then it is an added opportunity to "awaken the masses".

Having "bad guys" able to track every posted photo should really alert everyone who has family members or posted "items" online.

Sorry to repeat myself but since so many of the "still asleep" are tied to what they see on tv then take this opportunity to WAKE THEM UP!!!

5thElement
28th January 2011, 18:16
Hi Avalonians

Thanks for the information! Since learning this - my new avatar is as close as you're all going to get to my photo :p

5th

Linden
28th January 2011, 18:22
Wow! Thanks for the post....makes you really think!!! ACK! :twitch:

Geez!! and notice I have my location on here!!! hmmm...maybe I should rethink that!:o

Calz
28th January 2011, 18:23
Thanks for the information! Since learning this - my new avatar as close as you're all going to get to my photo :p

5th

Well done ... as a male (in this lifetime) I cannot immagine what you must go through?

28th January 2011, 18:48
Thanks Dennis Leahy, you hit the issue right on the head. It's the exif data that betrays the geotag information. I always remove EXIF data from all images before publication. For a start it makes them smaller in KB size, so they load faster. Second, it removes all that silly information that is really none of anyones business.

Be aware of one really nasty sting to this one though ... Anyone heard of tineye? reverse image search http://www.tineye.com/
It's rather useful, you upload an image and it searches to see where else on the net it appears!

Ok, seems benign enough, except there are developments in hand that can do this for geographical locations. So, even without EXIF data and geotagging, it will be possible to track a location, if there is enough background clues, like landmarks, scenery etc.

TargeT
28th December 2011, 20:29
I did not watch the video, but I'm certain your talking about "META DATA" (data about data) this is easily erased from photo's you choose to put online.

I'm at work so I can't go to all these sites, this appears to be a free tool :
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-remove-the-metadata-from-your-photos-windows-only/

this is the search terms I used to find it : "free picture meta data scrubber"

Enjoy! this precaution is good if your working with sensitive items.. for me I don't give a Frack, I'm not afraid nor will I allow myself to become so; fear is a useless feeling..

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/customprofilepics/profilepic7134_1.gif

If you can extrapolate my location from that picture.. haha GOOD LUCK! (the temp on that therm. is 150F* COME GET SOME! haha)