PDA

View Full Version : Row of ancient stones found in Dartmoor ‘are older than Stonehenge’

rosie
18th April 2010, 19:03
A row of ancient stones that mirrors the path of the sun like Stonehenge but is up to 1,000 years older has been unearthed on Dartmoor.

The discovery of the megaliths has thrilled archaeologists and once again raised debate about the purpose of Stonehenge, which is 120 miles away on Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire.

The nine stones at Cut Hill, one of the highest points on Dartmoor in Devon, have been carbon-dated to around 3,500BC.

http://i44.tinypic.com/96z5nk.jpg
Mysterious: A row of ancient stones which mirror the path of the sun like Stonehenge have been discovered in Dartmoor and may 1,000 years older than the famous site

It means they pre-date Stonehenge, which was not begun before 3,000BC.

Both monuments appear to be clearly aligned to mark the rising of the midsummer sun and the setting of the midwinter sun, suggesting they had religious or astronomical associations.

Archaeologists are debating whether the find adds credence to the theory that Stonehenge was linked to prehistoric death rituals or whether it was seen by ancient Britons as a centre of healing.

Mike Pitts, of British Archaeology magazine, said: ‘This is a spectacular find and its alignment on the Solstice sun, at the exact same angle as Stonehenge, gives us fresh insights into the knowledge of Stone Age people.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1266875/Row-ancient-stones-Dartmoor-older-Stonehenge.html

There will be many more discoveries, as the earth gives up her past for her next journey, I am
looking forward to the new discoveries that will be coming out from the far east, I feel there is much there to learn from.
love & light

SteveX
18th April 2010, 19:47
it's got be to do with religion of nature. The seasons, food, migrations, cold, warm and so on. This prolly turned into all the Green man stuff that I know little about. Some of which lingers on with the Morris Dancers.

I would suggest reading & writing was the downfall of the old religions. Heralding the way for Christianity, which has over written all the pagan festival dates.

mike1414
18th April 2010, 19:47
hey...many thanks for posting this...Dartmoor is a beautiful place and somewhere iv spent a lot of my life enjoying hikes and camping on for it is quite literally on my doorstep. this ''recent'' finding is just one of many hidden treasures i believe Dartmoor has to offer...there are lots of stone circles and megalithic stones all over the moors. it is a place that holds mystery and excitement in the air for me personally and many that travel there. to the north of cut hill there is yes tor which is coincidentally where one of the main ley lines of Britain runs straight thru...

yet...there are no coincidences

a bit more info about the moors if your interested - http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/stone-circ.htm

peace always
mike

Gita
18th April 2010, 20:09
Cutt Hill is not far from me so I may just pay the place a visit and take some pics to post here- the only problem is that a lot of this area lies in the military firing ground! Does anyone know exactly where these stones are as I could be walking round that area for hours and it’s not the easiest terrains to walk in?

mike1414
18th April 2010, 20:28
Cutt Hill is not far from me so I may just pay the place a visit and take some pics to post here- the only problem is that a lot of this area lies in the military firing ground! Does anyone know exactly where these stones are as I could be walking round that area for hours and it’s not the easiest terrains to walk in?

yeah..ideally you want to get yourself a map or better yet a letterboxing map, many of the boxes are placed in and around tors and stones. the military only conduct live firing on a limit amount of time during the yr so it is best to find out when that is...give http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/ a ring to find this out or get in touch with the devonport base if u have to..they should tell you the dates. i really wouldnt worry about this too much tho for they only use a small amount of area for their live training and theyre pretty good at keeping the public out :)
for finding the exact location...cut hill is a bit awkward terrain wise to get to however not too hard and if theyre unearthing the stones there they shouldnt be too hard to find i wouldv thought.
hope this helps..

peace always
mike

Gita
18th April 2010, 20:31
Thanks Mike for the info - great help. :thumb: I may just leave it for a couple of months then til weather gets better and hopefully by then they would've unearthed more of the stones.

Victoria Tintagel
18th April 2010, 22:03
Thanks for this! In June I will visit Dartmoor for a week and I will certainly try to find this place. I can imagine it's not in the Tourist Office brochures ( ; Could anybody here give me some directions? I will be staying in the Bellever hostel in Postbridge, Dartmoor. A bus is going near the hostel, several times a day, coming from Tavistock and returning to it, after leaving Postbridge. I guess I will visit this site on foot, maybe after dark, when the moon is out? ( ; Should be quite special!

mike1414
19th April 2010, 08:23
Thanks for this! In June I will visit Dartmoor for a week and I will certainly try to find this place. I can imagine it's not in the Tourist Office brochures ( ; Could anybody here give me some directions? I will be staying in the Bellever hostel in Postbridge, Dartmoor. A bus is going near the hostel, several times a day, coming from Tavistock and returning to it, after leaving Postbridge. I guess I will visit this site on foot, maybe after dark, when the moon is out? ( ; Should be quite special!

hey...there is already a good amount of info out there on the walks dartmoor has to offer however id suggest investing in a decent map and compass just to be sure u dont get lost bcos it can be done pretty easily. plus, despite sounding like a parent id just say make sure you tell someone where your off to also bcos phone signal on the moors can be tricky to come by.

i wouldnt advise walking at night really only bcos the terrain could pose more problems but if its possible you should try camping out on the moors...especially if the weather is good in june...it is a lovely experience and you will see some truly beautiful stars too...if thats your thing. who knows, maybe more.....
http://www.richkni.co.uk/dartmoor/cut.htm
http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/index/visiting/vi-enjoyingdartmoor/vi-wildcamping.htm

peace always
mike