PDA

View Full Version : Avalon Radio

Lord Sidious
27th February 2011, 17:39
Hey there Avalonuggets.
I posted a thread elsewhere about this idea.

I would like to suggest that Avalon gets its own radio station.
Obvioulsy internet based.
There are so many things to talk about and text falls short.
If you decide to go ahead, I would like to be involved.

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?15167-Avalon-Radio

This to my mind, is a natural progression. I have experience with this type of thing and I am ready and willing to help.
I think it would be great to have our own radio station where we can listen live and/or to prerecordings.
Imagine having various different people come on and talk about things as well.

Come on Avalonuggets, give me some feedback and let me know if you think this is a good idea.

Richard
27th February 2011, 17:43
an icecast server is already set up for that but progress has slowed to a crawl due to personal availability of the people involved, i suggest you talk to Scott.

Swami
27th February 2011, 17:49
I think the people of Argusoogradio (http://www.argusoogradio.org/)will be glad to help....

Infrastructure is already in place........

manny
27th February 2011, 17:57
in the alternative media circle.
where does avalon stand.
is a major website or a minor one.
i think this is great idea,but you do need the listeners.

Lord Sidious
27th February 2011, 17:58
an icecast server is already set up for that but progress has slowed to a crawl due to personal availability of the people involved, i suggest you talk to Scott.

Ok, I will PM him then.

where does avalon stand.

If we build it, they will come.
I would prefer we build it before we need it.
Too late then.

manny
27th February 2011, 18:10

Ok, I will PM him then.

where does avalon stand.

Too late then.
just don,t biuld a baseball stadium lol

Lord Sidious
27th February 2011, 18:12

Ok, I will PM him then.

where does avalon stand.

Too late then.
just don,t biuld a baseball stadium lol

HEY! I like baseball.
Go those Giants!

Scott
27th February 2011, 19:25
We have talked about this idea for awhile now, I think Richard is ready to go and I already mentioned I would help out in any way required.

I would like to know though if icecast can be used separate from an already existing internet radio platform and if this would be wise as you would lose the general public listeners, also I would recommend if Avalon was to tie into any Internet radio platform that they think about BBSRadio, from the research I have done before agreeing (kicking & screaming) to do a live show I found BBSRadio to be the absolute best platform available with the largest listener base.

One of the things I looked for was an "Open Format" and by that i mean host defined programing, for instance you can have 1 hr or 2 hrs or 4 hrs, you can do weekly shows or bi-weekly, you can do sponsor commercials or none at all, or you could forget to do a break and just talk for the whole show, the guys who Run BBSRadio don't care, as far as they are concerned it's your show do it any way you want.
Now to host a show you have to Pay for it every week, you pay for it and you do what you want with no interruption,that's the deal.
Cost per month can vary but you are looking at about $3,600 a year minimum.

You can archive the shows and charge for them if you like but personally that goes against my grain so everything I have done in the past is full length and free (as it should be IMO), you can add a donate button to the site if you like and if people feel like it they can click it.

I recently interviewed the creators of BBSRadio Feb 15th here: Doug & Don Newsom - The BBS Radio Guys (http://www.spectrumradionetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=41&Itemid=181)

Lord Sidious
27th February 2011, 19:38
We have talked about this idea for awhile now, I think Richard is ready to go and I already mentioned I would help out in any way required.

I would like to know though if icecast can be used separate from an already existing internet radio platform and if this would be wise as you would lose the general public listeners, also I would recommend if Avalon was to tie into any Internet radio platform that they think about BBSRadio, from the research I have done before agreeing (kicking & screaming) to do a live show I found BBSRadio to be the absolute best platform available with the largest listener base.

One of the things I looked for was an "Open Format" and by that i mean host defined programing, for instance you can have 1 hr or 2 hrs or 4 hrs, you can do weekly shows or bi-weekly, you can do sponsor commercials or none at all, or you could forget to do a break and just talk for the whole show, the guys who Run BBSRadio don't care, as far as they are concerned it's your show do it any way you want.
Now to host a show you have to Pay for it every week, you pay for it and you do what you want with no interruption,that's the deal.
Cost per month can vary but you are looking at about $3,600 a year minimum.

You can archive the shows and charge for them if you like but personally that goes against my grain so everything I have done in the past is full length and free (as it should be IMO), you can add a donate button to the site if you like and if people feel like it they can click it.

I recently interviewed the creators of BBSRadio here: Doug & Don Newsom - The BBS Radio Guys (http://www.spectrumradionetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=41&Itemid=181)

I don't know anything about that type of service.
There are a ton of way to do shows for free and the quality is still great.
Is it that you guys have already got stuff that you paid for and wanna stick with that?

Scott
27th February 2011, 19:46
Is it that you guys have already got stuff that you paid for and wanna stick with that?

Yes you are correct, there are a ton of ways to do it free and maintain quality.
It's just a matter of listener base really, I already did 1 Avalon internal conference by using my show on BBSRadio and Richards Avalon chat and it was a great success. the question is can you use Icecast + Avalon chat + a Skype recording software and have the show edited and up in a reasonable time frame?

Lord Sidious
27th February 2011, 19:49

Yes you are correct, there are a ton of ways to do it free and maintain quality.
It's just a matter of listener base really, I already did 1 Avalon internal conference by using my show on BBSRadio and Richards Avalon chat and it was a great success. the question is can you use Icecast + Avalon chat + a Skype recording software and have the show edited and up in a reasonable time frame?

Seeing as I have never used Icecast and I would use skype to record, the answer would be no.
I am waiting to hear back from a friend about using his server and setup to do stuff for Avalon.
He has this http://www.tnsradio.ning.com/ and has told me he has more bandwidth than he can use and is happy for others to use it too.
I will let you know what happens.

Scott
27th February 2011, 19:53

Seeing as I have never used Icecast and I would use skype to record, the answer would be no.
I am waiting to hear back from a friend about using his server and setup to do stuff for Avalon.
He has this http://www.tnsradio.ning.com/ and has told me he has more bandwidth than he can use and is happy for others to use it too.
I will let you know what happens.

Richard already had Icecast set up for Avalon radio, months ago.
We just need more details from him as to the technical aspects of it.

Lettherebelight
27th February 2011, 19:56
I think Avalon radio is a brilliant idea.

Lord Sidious
27th February 2011, 20:33
Just so that you guys can see what I can do, if you have the FTP details, I am uploading a file, an audio I made called The Battle of Long Tan.
This is an audio reconstruction of the first conflict the Australians had in Vietnam after they sent a task force.
I narrate it, take one role in the drama and I wrote the script as well.
Runtime is 47 and a half minutes and it is 320 stereo.

king anthony
27th February 2011, 20:50
Go those Giants!

The Nephilim have a team?

Lord Sidious
27th February 2011, 21:01
Go those Giants!

The Nephilim have a team?

They won the world series, so I think they may have.

Lord Sidious
27th February 2011, 22:50
If you guys are quick enough, I will be live on here in a second.
http://184.82.19.16:8300/listen.pls
Just check the time of my post and if it is more than an hour before you see it, don't worry.

Lord Sidious
27th February 2011, 23:09
Ok, I am about to go on live now.
This is a radio channel about law.

sygh
27th February 2011, 23:11

Hello Richard,

I've wondered about you. May I ask, what is it you do? What do you see coming down the pike? What is your personal opinion? What led you to those conclusions?

Lord Sidious
27th February 2011, 23:16
There is music playing right now, then I am on.

sygh
27th February 2011, 23:26
Just check the time of my post and if it is more than an hour before you see it, don't worry.

Am listening now to the 10 parts of communisim. State owned land through the hands of the State bank. However, credit in the hands of the private bankers. Are you the interviewer?

Richard
27th February 2011, 23:26
Lord Sidious is a Lawyer?!!?

LOL! thanks, needed that.

Richard
27th February 2011, 23:31
I like the idea of going through an established network like BBSRadio too.
The icecast server is running on this end but the bandwidth isn't the best. It's worth looking into imho.

Lord Sidious
27th February 2011, 23:33

Am listening now to the 10 parts of communisim. State owned land through the hands of the State bank. However, credit in the hands of the private bankers. Are you the interviewer?

I am the non-Irish guy.

Not a qualified lawyer, but I have a lot of knowledge and experience in law.

Scott
27th February 2011, 23:36
I like the idea of going through an established network like BBSRadio too.
The icecast server is running on this end but the bandwidth isn't the best. It's worth looking into imho.

No reason you cannot use both Richard, use icecast for the Live version and BBSRadio for the pre-record version.

That way Avalons can ask live questions on Avalon Chat and they can hear the answers live, then it can be uploaded to the BBSRadio server for the weekly show, it would all be automated.

Cottage Rose
27th February 2011, 23:57

I am the non-Irish guy.

I popped into a discussion regarding entering somewhere without a warrant. Am I in the correct program?

BrianEn
28th February 2011, 00:03
I would listen.

Lord Sidious
28th February 2011, 00:05

I am the non-Irish guy.

I popped into a discussion regarding entering somewhere without a warrant. Am I in the correct program?

Yes, an gardai siochana, the Irish police entered someones house illegally.

Lettherebelight
28th February 2011, 00:09
Thanks Lord Sidious, this is a fantastic show, very interesting content... enjoying 'Battering Ram' too!

It just goes to show the power of the human voice in communication..it brings it to life.

Great stuff.

Lord Sidious
28th February 2011, 00:12
Thanks Lord Sidious, this is a fantastic show, very interesting content... enjoying 'Battering Ram' too!

It just goes to show the power of the human voice in communication..it brings it to life.

Great stuff.

Thanks for that.
I love Battering Ram, they are brilliant.

kesom
28th February 2011, 00:15
great show sidious and how bent are the garda :~

i missed some of it,been listening a half hour,will you be doin another run some time :)

Lord Sidious
28th February 2011, 00:21
great show sidious and how bent are the garda :~

i missed some of it,been listening a half hour,will you be doin another run some time :)

I think my friend will put this up on his site.
http://tnsradio.ning.com/

Limor Wolf
28th February 2011, 00:42
messing up with the cops,hey Lord sidious....

Thank you.awsome to listen to you.
a question:are police laws similiar everywhere in the world,or is it individuall to every country?

just try that with israeli cops... (i'll come and visit you if there will be visitations)

Lord Sidious
28th February 2011, 00:48
messing up with the cops,hey Lord sidious....

Thank you.awsome to listen to you.
a question:are police laws similiar everywhere in the world,or is it individuall to every country?

just try that with israeli cops... (i'll come and visit you if there will be visitations)

In most cases, the police are policy enforcers enforcing commercial law.
The police in israel are hard cases, so I would use different tactics.

Limor Wolf
28th February 2011, 01:01
Douze points for your vast knowledge,and for your sense of humor...
mass debating :)

got some good ones from you.

cheers,
Limor

Lord Sidious
28th February 2011, 01:03
Douze points for your vast knowledge,and for your sense of humor...
mass debating :)

got some good ones from you.

cheers,
Limor

Thanks Limor.

Vin is gonna replay the whole thing after the song.
I am on for about 2 1/2 hours.

shybastid
28th February 2011, 01:59
I'm listening. Did you know you guys have accents? Or is it me?

Lord Sidious
28th February 2011, 02:02
I'm listening. Did you know you guys have accents? Or is it me?

Not me, must be just you.
Nugget.

davyj0nes
28th February 2011, 02:16
is this live now, i hear people talking. sounds like from ireland???

Lord Sidious
28th February 2011, 02:19
is this live now, i hear people talking. sounds like from ireland???

It is a repeat of a show that finished not that long ago.
It is indeed out of Eire.
I am on for the last 2 1/2 hours.
The Irish host is Vin.

Lord Sidious
28th February 2011, 20:52
Ok, here is the archive of the show with me on.
http://tnsradio.com/?p=715

Lord Sidious
6th April 2011, 13:13
Ok, back to topic.
How many people wanna hear an Avalon Radio channel?
And how many of you are capable of working on it?

Jendayi
6th April 2011, 13:30
i would be willing and able to do a music program...
great thread! thank you, oh dark nugget

D-Day
6th April 2011, 13:31
I wanna hear it and would be happy to contribute in any way possible.

Maria Stade
6th April 2011, 14:22
Oh Lord of the dark siths you are shining bright LOL :yes4:
Ya it would be nice to listen to some radio !

Carrots and love for you, from nugget world !

Jendayi
6th April 2011, 14:25
p.s.
a program on sexual energies and healing is also something i would love to facilitate..
namaste!

Jake
6th April 2011, 14:28
Awesome ideas. Maybe a show that would hi-light some of the Amazing folks we have here at Avalon. Radio interviews featuring (among other things) Avalonians.

DeDukshyn
6th April 2011, 15:05
I've been thinking the same thing lately - radio for avalon (first I've seen this thread - Sidious and I always seem to be on a similar wavelength I've noticed ;)) I'd be willing to help with this as well. I've noticed there are many incredibly talented artists of all kinds here - media can be the message.

Platinum
6th April 2011, 15:43
Ok, back to topic.
How many people wanna hear an Avalon Radio channel?
And how many of you are capable of working on it?

I'd love to hear it. :thumb:

Don't think I could contribute much in technical know-how though. Certainly I do not have any internet based radio knowledge, but I did some work in presenting local commercial FM radio shows (a long time ago). I only just about have the resources to feed myself and keep a roof over my head, so unfortunately would not be able to contribute financially either.

So in other words I'm probably pretty useless to you involvement wise.
Would certainly be a listener though. :)

Strat
6th April 2011, 15:49
This is an excellent idea. One little thing, you may want to clear this with Bill about the name of the radio channel. He may not want it to be considered the 'official' Avalon station.

Jake had a great idea, interview people of this forum. Onyx would be great to hear from among others. There are many ways to approach this idea, good thinking LS.

Lord Sidious
6th April 2011, 16:24
This is an excellent idea. One little thing, you may want to clear this with Bill about the name of the radio channel. He may not want it to be considered the 'official' Avalon station.

Jake had a great idea, interview people of this forum. Onyx would be great to hear from among others. There are many ways to approach this idea, good thinking LS.

I have already sent a pm to Bill.
The whole idea is that this IS the official Avalon Radio.

Gone002
6th April 2011, 16:32
Cool Man, nice to hear another irishman, like others have said there are some people on this forum that should have an interview slot etc. :)

John Parslow
6th April 2011, 16:35
An excellent idea M'Lord - bring it on ...

Best regards. JP :cool:

seko
6th April 2011, 16:39
great idea Lord Sidious lts make it happen.

DeDukshyn
6th April 2011, 23:16

I was thinking interviews of members would be a highlight for me. I would really enjoy that. As well as member contibuted poems, music, editorials, stories, news, group discussions, previous interviews - content would be abundant.... This could be really good. ;) Looking forward to it.

jjl
7th April 2011, 17:38
I think I could be of use.

mondaze
7th April 2011, 18:51
i love the idea noble lord, would love to be involved however working ten hours a day rather precludes any significant input.

Lord Sidious
9th April 2011, 05:30
This idea is on hold till Bill replies with his wishes.

Strat
9th April 2011, 16:39

You may want to find another way to contact him, maybe ask a mod. He once posted a screenshot of his PM's. It was something ridiculous like 600 messages in his inbox.

Oh I did listen to one of the episodes, it was great. You have a really good 'radio host demeanor' and your voice is perfect for it as well.

Lord Sidious
9th April 2011, 21:43

You may want to find another way to contact him, maybe ask a mod. He once posted a screenshot of his PM's. It was something ridiculous like 600 messages in his inbox.

Oh I did listen to one of the episodes, it was great. You have a really good 'radio host demeanor' and your voice is perfect for it as well.

Yeah, I know he has a lot of PMs, but surely the posts/threads aren't invisible?

DeDukshyn
10th April 2011, 02:55

Yeah, I know he has a lot of PMs, but surely the posts/threads aren't invisible?

From my experience he filters pretty heavily, I'd also say to get some support from some mods to fwd to Bill as well. If Bill is not interested I still think this should go forward as a side project under a diferent name ;-)

Lord Sidious
10th April 2011, 03:03

From my experience he filters pretty heavily, I'd also say to get some support from some mods to fwd to Bill as well. If Bill is not interested I still think this should go forward as a side project under a diferent name ;-)

Someone else will have to do it then, I am losing interest in something I don't even get an answer on.

Bill Ryan
12th April 2011, 08:04

Hi, Folks, Lord Sid, Everyone:

My apologies for a grossly delayed response.

I'd need to know a lot more before coming to a decision. What's the proposal - exactly?

My thoughts about this entire topic can be listed like this (no special order):

There's a surplus of radio stations and sites out there. MANY bloggers are now using internet radio. And many of them only have a tiny handful of listeners.
My priority is to keep a high signal-to-noise ratio. For instance, that's why I release far less information than Kerry does. In many ways, there is already too much information out there and a lot of not-very-well-done radio contains 60-80% 'filler'.
Live radio is fraught with production problems and 'noise'. I've always debated with Kerry that it's much better to just record an interview with someone, edit it to high quality, and release it later as an MP3. To be committed to do things live locks one into times of the day, loses control over quality, and asks for big trouble in a number of ways.
One advantage of live radio is certainly being able to respond to listeners' questions in real time.
Good quality 'professional' radio is excellent (e.g. C2C, Rense, Alex Jones). But it's hard to emulate this without resources, skill and experience.
Live radio can be 'exciting', and the spontaneity value of it can be an appeal... not knowing quite what's going to happen next.
An Avalon show could be piloted as an experiment. But note that I might have a lot of trouble appearing at the same time every week, for instance. I remember many times with Kerry and myself when it'd be "Jeez, we've got the radio show in half an hour" and we were scrambling around getting coffee and making snacks and finishing off e-mails and generally not being well-prepared. Sometimes it would be "We've got the radio show in a couple of hours and we've still not got a guest - who can we phone?" It was dreadful. But a slick production team can counter all that.

More thoughts as they occur to me. :)

But - back to my earlier question.

What's the proposal?
What's the format?
Who talks about what?
Is it commercial?
How many times per week /month?
What's the audience?
What are the themes?
What's the purpose of it?
Who has the skill, experience and funding to make this slick and professional?

Davidallany
12th April 2011, 08:13
Bill, I just want to thank you for your tremendous work, and guidance, please make sure to have plenty of rest. Remember to breath :)
Cheers

jasonzwsa
12th April 2011, 10:36
Good quality 'professional' radio is excellent (e.g. C2C, Rense, Alex Jones). But it's hard to emulate this without resources, skill and experience.

Hello Bill,

I just wanted to use this moment to promote two other very good radio shows http://truthfrequencyradio.com/?cat=11 and http://www.redicecreations.com/radio/nonsubscriber.php

Peace
Jason

Lord Sidious
12th April 2011, 11:10

Hi, Folks, Lord Sid, Everyone:

My apologies for a grossly delayed response.

I'd need to know a lot more before coming to a decision. What's the proposal - exactly?

My thoughts about this entire topic can be listed like this (no special order):

There's a surplus of radio stations and sites out there. MANY bloggers are now using internet radio. And many of them only have a tiny handful of listeners.
My priority is to keep a high signal-to-noise ratio. For instance, that's why I release far less information than Kerry does. In many ways, there is already too much information out there and a lot of not-very-well-done radio contains 60-80% 'filler'.
Live radio is fraught with production problems and 'noise'. I've always debated with Kerry that it's much better to just record an interview with someone, edit it to high quality, and release it later as an MP3. To be committed to do things live locks one into times of the day, loses control over quality, and asks for big trouble in a number of ways.
One advantage of live radio is certainly being able to respond to listeners' questions in real time.
Live radio can be 'exciting', and the spontaneity value of it can be an appeal... not knowing quite what's going to happen next.
An Avalon show could be piloted as an experiment. But note that I might have a lot of trouble appearing at the same time every week, for instance. I remember many times with Kerry and myself when it'd be "Jeez, we've got the radio show in half an hour" and we were scrambling around getting coffee and making snacks and finishing off e-mails and generally not being well-prepared. Sometimes it would be "We've got the radio show in a couple of hours and we've still not got a guest - who can we phone?" It was dreadful. But a slick production team can counter all that.

More thoughts as they occur to me. :)

But - back to my earlier question.

What's the proposal?
What's the format?
Who talks about what?
Is it commercial?
How many times per week /month?
What's the audience?
What are the themes?
What's the purpose of it?
Who has the skill, experience and funding to make this slick and professional?

The idea is that Avalon has it's own radio station.
It can consist of a combination of live and prerecorded shows as well as repeats.
I would prefer to focus on doing this well, rather than how many others are out there and what they do.
I can train staff in radio and how to use the software as well as present myself. I have experience.
I would propose different types of shows depending on who volunteers and what they suggest.
No point planning a show on military history for example as that isn't something that Avalon is about.
I would no like to have commercials as that cheapens everything we do.
I would say that most of the presenters should be prepared to do one show per week. How long that show is depends on various factors such as how many presenters we have, the amount of info they have to present and what the content is.
The purpose is to expand Avalon to the next level, give our members a chance at doing this for themselves and to provide a different format outside the forum.
As I said, I have the experience, I can provide some of the resources and funding may not be that much.
I have a friend who can provide a radio package which I can get details of.
For me, I would like to do a show that would include interviews, discussions with guests and we can have an Avalon Radio skype account that can provide a live chat while the show is going to make it interactive.

EYES WIDE OPEN
12th April 2011, 12:12
Would members be able to join in talks?

Maria Stade
12th April 2011, 12:32
LOL this is :cheer2::alien::cheer2:

Who will be the first nugget :target: Bill ??

Lord Sidious
12th April 2011, 13:00
Would members be able to join in talks?

The idea is that for shows where that is acceptable to the host, members can call in and put in their opinions.
They can skype comments and questions live in skype chat as well.

jjl
12th April 2011, 13:09
I think I have already told you, I would love to help in any capacity that I can. It sounds like a worthy endeavor.

bearcow
12th April 2011, 16:13
Sounds like a idea that has promise, the biggest problem is who/how is content determined?

Lord Sidious
17th April 2011, 00:10
Sounds like a idea that has promise, the biggest problem is who/how is content determined?

That would have to be something that a host would agree with Bill.
The potential host would have to outline what type of show they would like to do, then Bill says yay or nay.
Then I get them and train them to do radio.

Now, thanks to Paul, I can link an audio I have done for you to see what I have done.
This is an audio reconstruction of the battle of Long Tan 18 August 1966.
I narrate it, I wrote the script, I got the sound effects and cast and then supervised the mix.
http://thepythoniccow.us/The_Battle_of_Long_Tan.mp3
It is 109 mb.

Whitehaze
17th April 2011, 01:03

The potential host would have to outline what type of show they would like to do, then Bill says yay or nay.

Now, thanks to Paul, I can link an audio I have done for you to see what I have done.
I narrate it, I wrote the script, I got the sound effects and cast and then supervised the mix.
It is 109 mb.

Really nice work!

Lord Sidious
17th April 2011, 01:39

It is 109 mb.

Really nice work!

Thanks nugget.
All the sound effects are the correct ones, the call signs are correct, the grid co ordinates you hear in the radio calls are correct and the radio procedure is too.
Luckily for me, I was radio qualified, so I knew the deal. The only hassle I had with the radio part of the script was that I couldln't remember how to call in for a danger close fire mission, but I found it on the net and that was it.
The bugles you hear during the battle are the real D445 battalion VC bugles. I don't know how they got them, but they are real.
It is hard to listen to this for me, especially the last post and reveille and the roll of honour that I read out.
I figured that I owed it to the guys that were there to do a decent job and not a hash job.

Maria Stade
17th April 2011, 02:19
Lord Sidious
It is 109 mb.

Very good sound !

Thanks Paul and Sid test was loud and clear :thumb:

ViralSpiral
17th April 2011, 10:57
ello m'Lord

Just listened to the TSN Radio thingie-ma-bobby. I like your "teaching not preeching" style. Cantonese - chuckle!
I do wonder what it takes to set up a dedicated station. I am guessing it requires longterm commitment from a few, and at this stage I do think (as Bill mentioned) There's a surplus of radio stations and sites out there.
My suggestion would be that Spectrum Radio Network (Scotts endeavour) interviews you. I have listened to a few interviews there. I learn......

Oi loik a bit'o oirish

ThePythonicCow
17th April 2011, 11:20
Very good sound !

Thanks Paul and Sid test was loud and clear :thumb:
Yes, excellent sound, and well told story. It has been a while since I have heard radio that well done.

You should thank Sid, not me. I put about 9 minutes into copying the file; Sid probably put 999 hours (wild guess) into it.

Icecold
17th April 2011, 12:17
Brilliant work Lord Sid.

I'll email a few friends from RNSWR to have a look.

Cheers,

Ice

ktlight
17th April 2011, 12:22

It is 109 mb.

Really nice work!

Thanks nugget.
All the sound effects are the correct ones, the call signs are correct, the grid co ordinates you hear in the radio calls are correct and the radio procedure is too.
Luckily for me, I was radio qualified, so I knew the deal. The only hassle I had with the radio part of the script was that I couldln't remember how to call in for a danger close fire mission, but I found it on the net and that was it.
The bugles you hear during the battle are the real D445 battalion VC bugles. I don't know how they got them, but they are real.
It is hard to listen to this for me, especially the last post and reveille and the roll of honour that I read out.
I figured that I owed it to the guys that were there to do a decent job and not a hash job.

The story was riveting and well told. Extremely interesting.

phimonic
17th April 2011, 12:41
i think it is a good idea to have a radio for avalonians.
could be started as experiment, even if there was only one show a month - the shows could be archived and streamed on demand.
with different people talking about issues, that where discussed that month in the forum, or also others - but it could work as filter for informations.
i mean the most interesting threads could be linked from the radio-stream site.
every month a short summary kind of.
or every week.

- just thoughts

phimonic
17th April 2011, 12:53
just listening to the battle of long tan - some rough animations were nice also (maps, units,..).

Tahi
17th April 2011, 12:59
i think it is a good idea to have a radio for avalonians.
could be started as experiment, even if there was only one show a month - the shows could be archived and streamed on demand.
with different people talking about issues, that where discussed that month in the forum, or also others - but it could work as filter for informations.
i mean the most interesting threads could be linked from the radio-stream site.
every month a short summary kind of.
or every week.

- just thoughts

I agree, start small and let momentum take it... or not.

str8thinker
17th April 2011, 13:00
As a latecomer to this thread, I agree in principle with the idea of a radio station, but how it would work out in practice is a different matter and here I support the wisdom of Bill's response.

Camelot and Avalon's present system of carefully edited, tightly scripted interviews with carefully chosen people (who aren't currently doing the rounds of the radio shows) is one of the main attractions to these sites, hence these forums, and I for one would not like to see this degenerate into a weekly radio show complete with nauseating ads to pay for it, and lots of inconsequential chatter used as padding. I would certainly not consider subscribing for this dubious pleasure. Let's face it, you can scan text quickly for the vital bits, you can search text quickly, but for a radio or video show you are forced to listen to/watch the whole damn thing, yet one more hour out of your day. No sir, no way to scan audio (unless we feed it into transcription software). I've got enough on my plate already.

When I'm doing something I like to concentrate on it to the exclusion of just about anything else, particularly a radio show. Others I know are happy to listen to the chatter while preparing meals, changing nappies, even driving, but I can't even type e-mails and listen to an interview at the same time. Music is ok, but the higher the signal-to-noise ratio is, the more I need to be focused on what is being said, and the more frustrating, not to mention dangerous, it is for me to be attempting to do anything else, such as crossing a street, carving a roast...

Besides, if it's worth listening to, I like to be able to take notes.

Another major factor is time-shifting. Here in Australia I find it well-nigh impossible to be present at the time of a live broadcast, hence I'm likely to pass it up unless I can download it later. This has to be factored in as I'm sure most of us would want this option too.

No one's said anything so far about podcasts, which should be inexpensive to produce and might achieve much the same purpose. And we already have, I believe, a chat room, which has one important advantage - chats can be saved as text files.

Maybe a monthly or fortnightly radio show would be feasible, but certainly no more often than this. I agree with Bill that there are so many radio shows out there that it is difficult to justify starting another one just for the sake of having one.

Well, that's me again playing the devil's advocate. Maybe the only solution is to give it a trial run and be prepared to abandon the idea after six months if we find it difficult to sustain enthusiasm for the project.

DoubleHelix
17th April 2011, 13:02
I Second that notion Phimonic!

Once a month sounds like a great idea. Plenty of time to organise a speaker(s)
Signal to noise ratio kept at a premium. And with all the other material Bill releases it would give us a recap / summarisation of the month that's been!
Something to look forward to on a regular basis! but with ample time in between as to not flood us with unnecessary space filling information that some weekly radio shows generate!

Lord Sidious
17th April 2011, 13:09
As a latecomer to this thread, I agree in principle with the idea of a radio station, but how it would work out in practice is a different matter and here I support the wisdom of Bill's response.

Camelot and Avalon's present system of carefully edited, tightly scripted interviews with carefully chosen people (who aren't currently doing the rounds of the radio shows) is one of the main attractions to these sites, hence these forums, and I for one would not like to see this degenerate into a weekly radio show complete with nauseating ads to pay for it, and lots of inconsequential chatter used as padding. I would certainly not consider subscribing for this dubious pleasure. Let's face it, you can scan text quickly for the vital bits, you can search text quickly, but for a radio or video show you are forced to listen to/watch the whole damn thing, yet one more hour out of your day. No sir, no way to scan audio (unless we feed it into transcription software). I've got enough on my plate already.

When I'm doing something I like to concentrate on it to the exclusion of just about anything else, particularly a radio show. Others I know are happy to listen to the chatter while preparing meals, changing nappies, even driving, but I can't even type e-mails and listen to an interview at the same time. Music is ok, but the higher the signal-to-noise ratio is, the more I need to be focused on what is being said, and the more frustrating, not to mention dangerous, it is for me to be attempting to do anything else, such as crossing a street, carving a roast...

Besides, if it's worth listening to, I like to be able to take notes.

Another major factor is time-shifting. Here in Australia I find it well-nigh impossible to be present at the time of a live broadcast, hence I'm likely to pass it up unless I can download it later. This has to be factored in as I'm sure most of us would want this option too.

No one's said anything so far about podcasts, which should be inexpensive to produce and might achieve much the same purpose. And we already have, I believe, a chat room, which has one important advantage - chats can be saved as text files.

Maybe a monthly or fortnightly radio show would be feasible, but certainly no more often than this. I agree with Bill that there are so many radio shows out there that it is difficult to justify starting another one just for the sake of having one.

Well, that's me again playing the devil's advocate. Maybe the only solution is to give it a trial run and be prepared to abandon the idea after six months if we find it difficult to sustain enthusiasm for the project.

Gee, thanks for the encouragement, posts like yours make me wonder why I bother.
You have made a whole post about stuff that is not anything I have said or planned.

ktlight
17th April 2011, 13:11
There are some very interesting people in Avalon who would probably cause the transmissions to be unique.

Corncrake
17th April 2011, 13:12
I agree with str8thinker. I have listened to some of Kerry's radio shows but only when archived because of the time difference. Some of the interviewees have been very interesting but the commercial breaks and problems with Skype utterly frustrating. Red Ice Radio is probably one of the best out there - an intelligent host and in depth interviews. Something like this would be good but definitely quality over quantity.

Lord Sidious
17th April 2011, 13:19
I agree with str8thinker. I have listened to some of Kerry's radio shows but only when archived because of the time difference. Some of the interviewees have been very interesting but the commercial breaks and problems with Skype utterly frustrating. Red Ice Radio is probably one of the best out there - an intelligent host and in depth interviews. Something like this would be good but definitely quality over quantity.

Great another one.
Who said anything about ads?
Or tech issues?
And thanks for advertising another station.
We may as well close the thread and can the idea if this is the support we are going to get.

phimonic
17th April 2011, 13:27

Camelot and Avalon's present system of carefully edited, tightly scripted interviews with carefully chosen people (who aren't currently doing the rounds of the radio shows) is one of the main attractions to these sites, hence these forums, and I for one would not like to see this degenerate into a weekly radio show

i think none of us want's that - and it shouldn't even be called project avalon-radio ,, - i think of it more as an inside tool - a stream, like a podcast - yes - with all infos provided as links in written form -

an update for those who were on holidays or had no time to follow - if there are not much significant news - it can be a music show sometimes or at least partly - as i said - just thoughts - and experimental.

Corncrake
17th April 2011, 13:48
Lord Sidious - you asked for some feedback and this is what you are getting. One of the reasons we all join a forum is so that we can all express our own opinions - politely of course. :)

butcherman
17th April 2011, 13:58
nugget radio what a great idea let the vibrations begin

¤=[Post Update]=¤

sid don't be put off you know were on the right track

phimonic
17th April 2011, 14:02
experiment - make one show - let avalon decide than if it's wack - or if they want another one

¤=[Post Update]=¤

needed someone like him, though ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RReFHScx16k

str8thinker
17th April 2011, 14:04
@Lord Sidious, no need to go to extremes. I did read what you said earlier and am interested if you can find good quality interviewees, but not interested in listening to a whole lot of superficial chatter by all and sundry who choose to phone in.

It can consist of a combination of live and prerecorded shows as well as repeats.
I would prefer to focus on doing this well, rather than how many others are out there and what they do.
I can train staff in radio and how to use the software as well as present myself. I have experience.
I would propose different types of shows depending on who volunteers and what they suggest.
No point planning a show on military history for example as that isn't something that Avalon is about.
I would say that most of the presenters should be prepared to do one show per week. How long that show is depends on various factors such as how many presenters we have, the amount of info they have to present and what the content is.
The purpose is to expand Avalon to the next level, give our members a chance at doing this for themselves and to provide a different format outside the forum.
As I said, I have the experience, I can provide some of the resources and funding may not be that much.
For me, I would like to do a show that would include interviews, discussions with guests and we can have an Avalon Radio skype account that can provide a live chat while the show is going to make it interactive.

I was merely expressing my own views as to the kind of format I'd prefer. And yes, no ads.

I'm not in favour of repeats. As for live shows, it all depends on the time slot. No matter what time you choose, there will always be a significant number of people who cannot phone in for one reason or another and who will have to rely on being able to download the episode or listen to it later.

I think a lot will depend on lining up a number of worthwhile guests a long way ahead of time, in order to cope with dropouts, etc. My guess is that once you and Bill decide this is feasible, it will be a while before you assemble a list of guests of sufficient calibre. I would rather wait longer to get better quality in the end. Then how will this make it different from the current recorded interview format? Only by the presence of live questions, I would think.

You obviously have a great deal of enthusiasm and I wish you all success, but it won't be easy.

shijo
17th April 2011, 14:51
personally i think it would be great to have a radio station, accepting all the reservations people have. To hear peoples voices we know only through words could deepen our understanding of each other and the difficult material we discuss.

Lord Sidious
17th April 2011, 16:00
Lord Sidious - you asked for some feedback and this is what you are getting. One of the reasons we all join a forum is so that we can all express our own opinions - politely of course. :)

I asked for expressions of interest, not people telling me what not to do and the pitfalls.
Oh and other nuggets saying we don't need it because x is great.
How would you react to people trying to scuttle your idea/project?

@Lord Sidious, no need to go to extremes. I did read what you said earlier and am interested if you can find good quality interviewees, but not interested in listening to a whole lot of superficial chatter by all and sundry who choose to phone in.

I was merely expressing my own views as to the kind of format I'd prefer. And yes, no ads.

I'm not in favour of repeats. As for live shows, it all depends on the time slot. No matter what time you choose, there will always be a significant number of people who cannot phone in for one reason or another and who will have to rely on being able to download the episode or listen to it later.

I think a lot will depend on lining up a number of worthwhile guests a long way ahead of time, in order to cope with dropouts, etc. My guess is that once you and Bill decide this is feasible, it will be a while before you assemble a list of guests of sufficient calibre. I would rather wait longer to get better quality in the end. Then how will this make it different from the current recorded interview format? Only by the presence of live questions, I would think.

You obviously have a great deal of enthusiasm and I wish you all success, but it won't be easy.

If you aren't interested in what we offer, then you don't have to listen, how hard is that?
And why do you have to keep trying to rain on my idea/project?
You have no idea what I can do or who I can interview do you?

From now on I want people to tell me what they are prepared to offer to help this get off the ground.
I don't mean money, I mean support in the other ways.
And if you have negative stuff to say, go hit your head on a tree or something.

John Parslow
17th April 2011, 17:50
Gday M'Lord

Great another one.
Who said anything about ads?
Or tech issues?
And thanks for advertising another station.
We may as well close the thread and can the idea if this is the support we are going to get.

Don't give up on this excellent idea, I am sure most Avalonian's would love to have their own Radio - I for one would welcome it ...

All the best. JP :cool:

ace
17th April 2011, 18:04
I think a radio station would be rely cool.

Maybe a voice box would work, When we know who the Guest or Topic is, We could all record our question and e-mail them through to who ever is producing the show. (As MP3 File)

When who ever is doing the interview or topic they could just cut to Question time and they would be real time voices so to say, then the guest can answer.

Regards
Ace

Gone002
17th April 2011, 18:29
I see people haven't listened to your own broadcast WHICH you posted a link to. You have the tools, mind and power to get this idea out there Sid. In the way of help, this is not my vein of work and I’m sure one Irish accent is enough for some ;)

If you required someone to help you gather interview subjects or interviewees I would gladly help. Or to possibly help by taking the work load off, helping type questions up or something along that line of work I would help you out.

I cannot express how good this idea is, YES many have tried to do this before but never had they had the wide range of skills or knowledge that Sid has and they weren’t as willing to share that or help others.

Maria Stade
17th April 2011, 18:57
I would love to hear the members and gests speak about different subjekts !

I am no fan of reading a lots of words so its kind of funny im in here !

I LOVE to listen to radio it gets more human and not so flat !

How can we help ! I can help making questions to the gest and I think the members should have wishes for who they whant to hear ! Also could the members have questions if the gest is already known before the transmission.

I know nothing about radio broudcasts but plese tell us how we can help !

Right now Im writing here and listening to Kerries and Geoff Faukner !

Jorr is doing the dishes (and listen to Kerries intervju) and I will soon plant more seeds and listen to Kerrie and Geoff.

Radio is big YES !

ktlight
17th April 2011, 19:18
Lord Sidious, what kind of support/assistance do you need?

Lord Sidious
17th April 2011, 20:56

People who would like to be a host, people who may know someone we can interview, anything really.

phimonic
17th April 2011, 21:48
worst case scenario for intro example ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gudomc-crKo

phimonic
17th April 2011, 21:56
red ice equals red eyes , which i have now,.. - so this was an example what we shouldn't try to represent
__ i'm writing this in an emotional state! - so i do not want to diss anybody - in opposite help those who did this - no go! ^^
showed it to my daughter - she instantly thought i was nuts ^^
..so i'm not just sayin' this

phimonic
17th April 2011, 22:33
actually wanted to show her , i'm not nuts - and went to the the issue of the bosnian pyramids , wich i find interesting and objectively viewed ,.... - ups

phimonic
17th April 2011, 22:44
anyway - i wanna see a radio show for avalonians, not claiming to have something to do with project avalon, but the threads and content applied for a summary, and beeing there for itself. -

phimonic
17th April 2011, 22:48
one of the most important issues for a worldchange, is how to connect the pieces, which are already there i think.
how we all find together - how we all organize?
we know many groups out there.
many want the same

Tahi
17th April 2011, 23:30

I put my hand up too.... :rockon:

Lifesong
17th April 2011, 23:46
I think its a great idea too and would be happy to help out with whatever's needed.

Full disclosure here though, I know a grand total of nothing about radio...well, except maybe you don't want to listen to it for too long...alone...at night.

:)

phimonic
18th April 2011, 00:42
i know, what there is to know, from a dj - side - and how nuts i am you can tell from the sounds i posted in music-thread - and i do not want to make this radio-thing at all.
i just heard of it - and thought great - i wanna hear - and i'd definetly would listen interested to whatever those who are doing it coming up with. - if i can help in any matter i'm at service, but i'm just a new member with some thoughts and maybe controversial ideas and styles - so do not hold my word for nothing,

all i'm sayin' is that i like to see things happening, since i travel for too long with ideas, working on their technical transposition with huge effort, rather than spreading out message or moving blocks.
so the main big question was if the avalonian message to be spread was in resonance to what this show would potentially be about.
and to find that out, it would just need an experiment.
on action - ideas i was fantasizing about an open-source computer-game - which was a nuts idea from the beginning- i know- but supporting an idea, as a radio show, with the intention of doing good for the avalonian community and maybe some others, was a positive thing to attain.

if we want to listen to a former battlefieldstory or spiritual awakening due to some sort of meditation, is neither of my concern, nor my choice to make. nor should it be lord sids or any individual's. - it's yours

phimonic
18th April 2011, 04:14
...., people who may know someone we can interview, anything really.
i can try get :

Leonhard A. Hütter

- he always told us - if he would tell, what he knew,... he'd be gone the next day,...
..he was measuring high radiation in chernobyl, two, days before it ocured officially...mhhmm
was long time head of a dating back to 1580 library, within franciscan monastery.
very interesting man.
and since i just posted, that i will try- i promise.

Lord Sidious
18th April 2011, 04:27
...., people who may know someone we can interview, anything really.
i can try get :

Leonhard A. Hütter

and since i just posted, i will try- i promise

I don't know who he is, but I don't envision being the only host, so there may be people who do know him and who want to interview him.

phimonic
18th April 2011, 04:34
look how often his book got reissued -
must be good for something - since it is about one of the most essential elements we know about. - even the emperor, would be astonished of this mans authority, i am assured.

phimonic
18th April 2011, 04:43
this man woke us up, when we were like 12 years old, and knew nothing- most people thought he was nuts, in fact he was the only one trying to have us see what is really out there.
i'd just love to listen to this man again after all those years. - if he was going to talk - i'd love to record and to share.

now some sleep, then i'll go out for visit - we'll see

from my point of view , there are people that you don't want to interview,but just listen, what them have to say.

DoubleHelix
23rd April 2011, 10:41
Any chance we can get this thread bumped? What do you think Lord Sid!

Lord Sidious
23rd April 2011, 11:48
Any chance we can get this thread bumped? What do you think Lord Sid!

I appreciate your efforts, but I doubt this is going to happen, sorry to say.
There is no interest from Bill, so that is that.
If anything, they may as well lock the thread.

ThePythonicCow
24th April 2011, 14:22
This thread is closed, per request of the original poster.